Page 102 of 212 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Unless the system is changed, I honestly can't see Ireland fitting into the team in any position other than as a winger (or Robbie's position between midfield and attack).
    good players can adapt their game as required. one thing obvious from sat was that we need to be able to hold the ball better when we have it and SI would improve this. i wasnt too impressed with him when he did play with us before but he has had a great season with city and would without doubt be a great addition to the squad and could definately be accommodated someway

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i dont think trap would look to get him back or make an issue of it unless he was going to play him. would be good options

s.reid
    whelan
    ireland
    andrews
    gibson
    miller(well hes an option)
    im leaving out a.reid unfortunately

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Stephen Hunt was on TV3 this morning saying he didn't think Ireland would come back and that players who have got us this far should be picked ahead of him anyway. He went on to say "his Dad could play, he makes enough comments about it anyway".

He really is a rather silly little man (Hunt, well, Ireland too, but Hunt in this case) if Trap has stated that he'd like Ireland back Hunt should keep his mouth shut or just say it's the managers' decision and I'll get on with it like a good professional.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think I'm being misunderstood- I'm not saying Ireland will be brought back and sat on the bench. What I'm saying is, I'm not entirely sure he'll be played as one of the central midfield players.

He's obviously got his own style of play, but I'd liken his defensive ability to Gerrard. Yes he can make a tackle, is hard working, etc., but his defensive positioning is almost non-existent.

He's all over the field, runs and works extremely hard, and his bursts into the box are the reason he scores and creates as much as he does- but if he doesn't get the ball when he makes these runs, and in turn the ball is given to the opposition, we're down a man in the middle of the park, and that man isn't a Roy Keane, Viera, or Mascherano- it's a Whelan or an Andrews who isn't capable of being a one-man shield to our back four.

The only way I'd have Ireland play in the middle is if Steven Reid is there alongside him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    Stephen Hunt was on TV3 this morning saying he didn't think Ireland would come back and that players who have got us this far should be picked ahead of him anyway. He went on to say "his Dad could play, he makes enough comments about it anyway".

He really is a rather silly little man (Hunt, well, Ireland too, but Hunt in this case) if Trap has stated that he'd like Ireland back Hunt should keep his mouth shut or just say it's the managers' decision and I'll get on with it like a good professional.
    I think Hunt is getting way too big for his boots. If progress was being made with Stphen Ireland, the likes of this idiot spouting off could have a very negative impact. No player is bigger than the team...and that includes Hunt. He needs to be punished. I'd love to see him dropped and Ireland brought back in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    hunt cant keep his big gob shut, ya i reckon he thinks hes better than he actually is. look at noel sure trying to claim robbie's goal in italy, it must run in the family. hes right tho about irelands father, he should keep his mouth shut aswell.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

Agreed, I'm a big fan of Hunt's attitude on the pitch but think he should spend more time working on improving his game than appearing yet again in every media outlet (Newstalk, TV3, Irish Times at least in last 24 hours) talking about things which really should concern only the manager and the player concerned.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I'd understand it if Hunt was still just a squad player- but he's snuck into the starting XI (on merit, mind).

I'd be running with it as long as I could and keeping my mouth shut.

As for the comment about Hunt thinking he is better than he is- I'd say his self-belief is probably one of the only reasons he's capable of playing Premiership football, so while it may be a downfall when in front of a mic, it's a good attribute on the pitch.

Now if we could just combine McGeady's talent with Hunt's confidence...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think I'm being misunderstood- I'm not saying Ireland will be brought back and sat on the bench. What I'm saying is, I'm not entirely sure he'll be played as one of the central midfield players.
    Absolutely & that was an issue the media completely failed to take account of while clamouring for his "recall".

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    Agreed, I'm a big fan of Hunt's attitude on the pitch but think he should spend more time working on improving his game than appearing yet again in every media outlet (Newstalk, TV3, Irish Times at least in last 24 hours) talking about things which really should concern only the manager and the player concerned.
    Both of the Hunt brothers seem to have 'Foot in Mouth' disease, that part of the brain that normally tells you not to open your mouth when something stupid comes into your head seems to be completely defective with them. It's not his call to be mouthing off about this and only gives the media more ammo on the bullsh1t story that he was involved in the alleged bullying that went on.

I'm fans of how both have made the best of their talents but they don't seem to be the brightest of lads, even for footballers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hunt doesn't mess around with the boundaries of platitudes.
    Maybe not intelligently and with not too much diplomacy, just like his game.
    He has done well for us in this campaign.
    Every team needs a Bulgarian (of sorts) in their midst.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Hunt doesn't mess around with the boundaries of platitudes.
    Maybe not intelligently and with not too much diplomacy, just like his game.
    He has done well for us in this campaign.
    Every team needs a Bulgarian (of sorts) in their midst.
    A lot of people believe that Andy Reid was dropped for questioning the managers authority. Is that not what Hunt is doing now(assuming Trap is attempting to bring Ireland back) only in a far more public way?

If Hunt was a senior player in the squad his comments may be a little easier to take. He is all mouth that clown
    Last edited by Den Perry; 10/06/2009 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    if we keep the ball better we play better, it's simple - look at our first two games of this campaign with s. reid in the middle. we played in a very controlled and non-plussed manner and reid was the fulcrum for this. i believe ireland could curb his natural instincts (or at least modify them) to perform similarly. i'm not comparing their styles but as others have suggested, good players are good players. lately we've looked like a very poor version of all those scabby italy sides that muddle their way through group stages at the world cup before making the final - i'll take it. but s. ireland would above all help us retain the football and hopefully wouldn't unbalance our midfield too much if he did get forward occasionally. it's a risk, playing any player is - but how can we avoid taking this one?
    zombie/thread killer..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Yeah im a big fan of hunt, but he needs to keep quiet, the comments about stephens dad were a bit out of order. But you can see where hunt is coming from too? But trap needs to tell him button it. You can see hunt if he is in the premier league next year, doing a wild over the top tackle on Ireland, i think he has that kind of mentality. Be interesting. But it is a football team not a team of the nicest charachters in Ireland, Stephen Ireland in my opinion is the best football player to come out of Ireland in years. Definitly the most potential in a player in a long while.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Hunts comments are making me a little uneasy for future harmony in the squad.

The eligibility change could possibly add fuel to the fire should one or two be added to the squad. Rightly or wrongly - The existing bunch could well resent the addition of players.

As we know, perceived wrong doing has had traumatising implications in the past.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    A lot of people believe that Andy Reid was dropped for questioning the managers authority. Is that not what Hunt is doing now(assuming Trap is attempting to bring Ireland back) only in a far more public way?

If Hunt was a senior player in the squad his comments may be a little easier to take. He is all mouth that clown
    There are a lot of blank spaces about the reasons why Andy Reid is not in the squad. I think Neil has come closest with putting a few bits together coherently.
    I'd assume of first concern to Trap is how Hunt behaves for the team and around the team.
    If Reid had a serious blow up with Trap that night, i doubt if he would have been on the bench and just about to come on in the next game. And if Reid was out of place in his attitude to Trap he certainly would have apologised
    and Trap is big enough to accept an apology.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    There are a lot of blank spaces about the reasons why Andy Reid is not in the squad. I think Neil has come closest with putting a few bits together coherently.
    I'd assume of first concern to Trap is how Hunt behaves for the team and around the team.
    If Reid had a serious blow up with Trap that night, i doubt if he would have been on the bench and just about to come on in the next game. And if Reid was out of place in his attitude to Trap he certainly would have apologised
    and Trap is big enough to accept an apology.
    Any chance of giving a rundown of what Neil was saying? or Neil if you're there can you tell me where to find them?

I don't know why he's not in the squad, just thought it was because of a late night bust up, despite the fact that he may not be considered suitable to Trap's style of play. Personally I think he deserves his place in the squad, but I'm very happy with Trap so far so I'm not going to criticise. Anyway, I'm going off topic here really.However, I do believe Hunt has to reigned in

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    He didnt give actual facts, but he came to a logical conclusion Den Perry based on a few different events.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Its apparent that Trapp has effectively banished Reid because Reid couldn't take his non-selection in first eleven on the chin nor treat it as a challenge to prove Trapp wrong.

His sulky and stroppy demeanour was becoming disruptive and an unnecessary headache.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    Any chance of giving a rundown of what Neil was saying? or Neil if you're there can you tell me where to find them?
    Short and sweet.
    http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p...&postcount=689