147 26.68%
Page 5 of 212 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guts&Glory View Post
    what about shock horror phoning Don Givens , 'Hi Don Im ready to be considered again if you deem me worthy of a place'. A bit of humility would do wonders.
    Perhaps he doesn't feel the need to display humility to Don Givens. I know I wouldn't.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    To be perfectly honest I couldn't care less if Stephan Ireland is unhappy or not.

Now if he ends up revising his decision and goes on to play well then I will respect him for that but I will never look at the player in the same way again

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Dunno about that, Reid has often said the youth coach at Forest was a massive influence on him getting his act together, and his girlfriend at home in Ireland was pregnant so he could either come home and work as a labourer or really give the football a go.
    I'm not crediting Givens with Reid's success just that Reid at one point needed a boot in the a$$ and Givens was there to oblige

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    I'm not crediting Givens with Reid's success just that Reid at one point needed a boot in the a$$ and Givens was there to oblige
    I misread the title as Stephen Irelands nappy.

I thought his troubles had moved from his head southward!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    that explains why i didnt get the call up, i forgot to ring givens!!

what a muppet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I rang him there a few minutes ago.

Not only am I a late addition to the Squad (I told the mad-as-batshlt caretaker that I'd bring my own gear, and that I thought he was dead right to sicken Clinton's hole by leaving him out when he's in flying form) but I have an Interview for the managers job next Monday.

Result.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I have to say I'm disappointed in the media for making this an issue. Givens said exactly the same stuff last time around. Why should his views change?

Givens has set out his stall on Ireland, correctly in my opinion. If we were playing Georgia in qulaification next week I'd like to think Givens, if he was still in charge, or somoene in the FAI, maybe even Dunne, would try and have a word with him. But it's 8 months to the first qualifier and we've yet to appoint a manager. Nothing has changed and nobody should have expected anything to have changed. Instead it's the only story about this squad. Ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree it's a non-story, but in fairness, in Morrisons case, his profile has risen substantially since Staunton's last squad, and if Friendlies are to be for anything, they should be certainly in part to reward in-form players and to increase confidence within the team.

Givens has pretty much done neither so far, and his infamous bad attitude has carried over into a job none of us wanted him to have, meaning his grating personality, personal grudges, and his fractious relationship with the media & certain players has gone a great way to creating this story from nothing.
    Last edited by Bondvillain; 27/01/2008 at 2:02 AM.

And they nearly did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What i meant to say BV was that while Stephen Ireland is a non-story, the only story worth commenting on in this squad was really Morrison's omission.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    What i meant to say BV was that while Stephen Ireland is a non-story, the only story worth commenting on in this squad was really Morrison's omission.

Duly noted. Apologies for misinterpreting.

Sorry, with so many threads seemingly coming to a "Don Givens hasn't a clue" conclusion right now, it's hard for me to keep track of which of his embarrassing pronouncements & actions goes where...

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    I'd love to see someone like Kerr take on the U21's but I doubt it would ever happen.....can't see the FAI asking & can't imagine Kerr accepting

I think someone like Liam Brady or even Steve Heighway would be a brilliant candidate for the U21 job...both have been entrusted with the development of 2 of the biggest teams in Europes youth systems so their qualifications are beyond reproach...question is, would either of them do it?
    I admire Kerr for his underage achievements and while he would undoubtedly be a good amnager at that level, I think it would be a risk. There's nothing to say he would work in harmony with the new senior manager and considering he's recently relieved of the senior job himself, I'd see it as too much of a risk .

Now Steve Heighway is a different kettle of fish and if he was interested I'd snap him up in a heartbeat for the U21 gig.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondvillain View Post
    Perhaps he doesn't feel the need to display humility to Don Givens. I know I wouldn't.
    Whether it be Don Givens, Don Quitoi or Donnie Darko is manager its for
    S Ireland to show humility and that he is able to be a man to all of us and get on with it.

As for Givens , he will only be Caretaker for the Brazil game, its to the football fraternity of the country he needs to make things up to and to move on and play some games for ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Whose going to accept Stephen Irelands FAI young player of the year award should he win it?
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    One of his grannies?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    i think we need ireland back.
    he is a good player and we have very very few of those.

oh and don givens is an utter gob****€
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Interesting comments there. I agree with one or two of his comments re Givens. DG is caretaker manager so should have just gone on with the job and said nothing. I for one want Ireland back in this squad well in advance of the qualifiers and am pleased to hear SI appears to be of the same frame of mind. What happened, happened, all very stupid, but its done and dusted. New manager, new start no one wants to drag up whats happened the last two years or so. I look forward to him getting a few goals for us when we need them in the next campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    alot of people have said here that they want to hear ireland say he wants to play for the country well now he has, om glad he spoke with a bit of honesty said he knows he owes the fans, but more importantly said don givens is a gob****e, i read the article on the star plus a smaller article inside the pullout the reporter was saying we have to get rid of givens he dealt with the ireland situation terribly and theres another young lad with the 21s who is in the same boat as ireland
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'm still not convinced we need Ireland or that he's ahead of others like McGeady or Andy Reid. He's a talented boy who is improving but he plays in a very solid Man City team that can compete in their own right. Our team struggles to impose itself on games and hence Ireland's weaknesses can be shown up much more than at club level.

We have an adundance of lightweight creative types. If we play them all we'll be hammered every time.

I think Duff and Hunt should be our two wide men, interchanging if they like.

I don't trust Ireland as an orthodox central midfielder unless we're chasing a game and need to be adventurous.

Tinkering with shape and roles may make room for him but it's a tough one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I'm still not convinced we need Ireland or that he's ahead of others like McGeady or Andy Reid. He's a talented boy who is improving but he plays in a very solid Man City team that can compete in their own right. Our team struggles to impose itself on games and hence Ireland's weaknesses can be shown up much more than at club level.

We have an adundance of lightweight creative types. If we play them all we'll be hammered every time.

I think Duff and Hunt should be our two wide men, interchanging if they like.

I don't trust Ireland as an orthodox central midfielder unless we're chasing a game and need to be adventurous.

Tinkering with shape and roles may make room for him but it's a tough one.
    indeed but whatever about your feelings about him startin surely he has to be called up in the next squad with our new manager(hopefully)
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Page 5 of 212 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast