Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    Ok I get your point on the phone call and I agree he had issues with some of his team mates but for totally different reasons than SI. When Keane played football he played for the Irish team and left his likes/dislikes of fellow colleagues behind him while on the pitch at least. SI could not cope with a bit of banter among his and deserted his country because of it, a big difference imo.
    That's fair enough, I don't disagree in general. Although it really is all speculation as to why Stephen Ireland actually left, the banter thing has been denied by various people.

I genuinely think his weave might have got rubbed a bit too hard when he was being patted on the head being congratulated after scoring in Slovakia and he had to rush home to get it tightened!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    On another note I couldn't see the equivalent happening in England with a promising young talent turning his back on his country, imagine the furore if Theo Walcott refused to play for England in forthcoming friendlies..
    I pointed this out before, David Bentley refused to play in the U-21 Championships for England, and is still booed by the crowd at Wembley for that.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    It worries me that people are still giving their support to Ireland. Yes he is probably our most talented player but he has refused to play international football for abosultly no bloody reason. Even Andy O'Brien gave a reson even if it was a bit patethic. Ireland hasnt even had the balls to explain to the Irish people why he refuses to wear the jersey

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Says he has three young children...was the miscarriage thing a lie too?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Reality Bites View Post
    Not sure whether its David Beckham the product or David Beckham the person but he does seem to love playing for his country..

but didnt he kind of give up on his football career by going to the USA on behalf of his wife? Not much commitment to the cause there
    (where he has been getting booed on a regular basis apparently)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Says he has three young children...was the miscarriage thing a lie too?

I think the villification of Stephen Ireland just hit a new low.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    On the other hand, after claiming family deaths, you could argue that "you reap what you sow"
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    .... A Dingo took my Baby!!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I never saw anything to suggest that the miscarriage story was true though, it's just that bit harder to disprove than either of the grandmothers. If his partner had lost a baby I can't imagine anybody would have expected him to do anything other than go home to his family in their hour of need. Though wasn't he simply 'trapped' by his girlfriend's original lie?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In light of the fact that he was caught out committing two unbelievable lies, I think I'd excuse a bit of cynicism surrounding his final answer. All he had to say initially was that it was a family matter and it would have been left alone.

It's time to move on, he doesn't want to play for us so let's concentrate on those who do.
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Until/if stephen Ireland decides to play for Ireland this thread should be removed from the Ireland forum.
    It is an afront and displays a lack of respect to the footballers that are honoured to play for Ireland.

Let those who want to cowtow to the follically challenged one do so in private and spare the rest of us the unedifying sight of Irish people on their knees to the King of baldness.

This man has single handedly made the lives of slapheads more difficult in the whole of Ireland.If I was a slaphead I would not rest until the good name of slapheads is restored.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Until/if stephen Ireland decides to play for Ireland this thread should be removed from the Ireland forum.
    It is an afront and displays a lack of respect to the footballers that are honoured to play for Ireland.
    wow... that couldn't be more ridiculous... just because he takes a break from international football to look after his 3 young children, you say we can't talk about him... so we can only talk about the present squad? we can't talk about other players who take breaks from international football? maybe we can't talk about retired players either then?

i also think those personal insults are childish and cruel and just make everything else you say less credible...

i think seanfhear's posts should be moved to the kids forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    wow... that couldn't be more ridiculous... just because he takes a break from international football to look after his 3 young children, you say we can't talk about him... .

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into speculating on the personal details of any players life because, frankly they're none of my business and I couldn't give a tuppenny fcuk, BUT is it not widely reported and unchallenged in the print media that he walked out on the mother of these kids you say he's taken a break from international football to mind? The girl he's with now, the one who phoned Bratislava, is not the mother of his kids ...am I right?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post

I can't believe I'm getting sucked into speculating on the personal details of any players life because, frankly they're none of my business and I couldn't give a tuppenny fcuk, BUT is it not widely reported and unchallenged in the print media that he walked out on the mother of these kids you say he's taken a break from international football to mind? The girl he's with now, the one who phoned Bratislava, is not the mother of his kids ...am I right?

You are right, his current girlfriend is the mother of his 3rd child, he left the mother of his other 2 kids.

While I agree with you that his private life is his own business, it's all the crap about him and his girlfriend being on their own with no support etc, I just wonder why his grandparents are not happy to help out, or his own parents etc, possibly they've had enough of his self pity too.
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    To have stephen ireland on the same forum as a player of the standing as Dave Langan is a travesty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post
    While I agree with you that his private life is his own business, it's all the crap about him and his girlfriend being on their own with no support etc, I just wonder why his grandparents are not happy to help out, or his own parents etc, possibly they've had enough of his self pity too.
    They're probably concerned he'll really kill them this time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    To have stephen ireland on the same forum as a player of the standing as Dave Langan is a travesty.
    Dave was a terrific player for us and always 100% committed. However, I think he'd be the first to concede that he had his own personal problems off the pitch (particularly after all the horrific injuries). No saint was our Dave but hopefully a ton of money will be raised at the dinner to help him through life.

S.Ireland obviously has a fair few problems himself and I think he's rapidly burning any bridges he had left to the Irish team. If he wanted to play for us I'd happily take him back but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. However its perfectly reasonable for his attitude to be debated on the Ireland forum - whether you like it or not he will always be an Irish international (or at least a former International).
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 02/10/2008 at 12:36 AM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    And trust me RK had problems with various team mates over the years, in particular one who went on to manage him. Organisation and preperation was an excuse for a patholigical dislike of said team mate, regardless of the spin many have swallowed.
    I have to agree with this but another parallel with that situation was that "said teammate" left the Ireland manager's job in September 2002 but it was almost two years later before Roy Keane decided he wanted to play for his country again. Even then there were apparently a few players in the squad who he never spoke with. With that precedent, perhaps Stephen Ireland will change his mind eventually as well - I'm not holding my breath though.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He seems to be a different player this year... maybe he's getting himself back together and a little more time will see him want to play for us again.

Tonights performance is further evidence of what we're missing:

"STAR PLAYER: Stephen Ireland.
    I am not quite sure whats happened to him. His performances recently are as good as anyone. He always looked a threat on the break and never stopped running. Keep it up son."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I've just been looking at the FAI website and Ireland and Andy O'Brien are still included in the Squad Profile. I know they have always been slow about upading the site but other players stats have been updated since the last two games, you would think that they could delete these two from the system when they were at it.