Page 51 of 212 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    He's an ar*ehole that's why people dislike him.

To consistently refuse to play for his country without any good reason as far as anyone can tell is the lowest of the low for any professional footballer and it's only in Ireland that you would get people sticking up for his right to do so by coming out with excuse after excuse to justify actions that are unjustifiable to the majority of people. He would be hung, drawn and quartered if he behaved like this and he was an English, Scottish, Spanish, Italian international.
    Bentley is still booed by the England fans for refusing to play in the U-21 championships two seasons ago.
    Gary McAllister refused to play for Scotland again after being booed by the fans.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    if he doesnt care about playing for us, why should we care about him? Until he's ready to come back, apology or not, we shouldnt even talk about him.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Saw the interview and he seems like a decent bright lad but is obviously psychologically frail. The more ill-feeling there is to him the more the fact that he won't play for Ireland is a self-fulfilling prophecy. The prospect of 80,000 countryman booing and resenting you would be a difficult task to conquer for the bravest of men which will only get worse with time.

I, like many of you, cannot understand not playing for your country, however we do not know what has gone on and equally cannot understand the pressures of being in the public eye and hounded by your national media. Nothing will be achieved by booing and hating him as much as we can't understand him, especially in light of the most important thing - he is a top quality player who would improve the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    At this point the only way I can see him being welcomed back is if we lose some key matches and nothing is going right for us.

If he returns when everything is going well, he will be attacked. If things are failing miserably, people will give him a chance to redeem himself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Saw the Observer's interview with him today over here, was very much coming around to the thinking that his performances were making it just about impossible to not want him in the squad.

How wrong I was. Doesn't miss it, doesn't seem to care about it, nothing. Says he wants more time with his family; first of all, footballers have more free time than people in just about any profession. Second, countless other internationals - including his club captain - maintain family life whilst still representing their country.

Was preparing to chip in my two cents yesterday about how we can't turn down a player of his talents, but I'm finished with him now. Don't want him back, good luck to him in his club career. He'll always be Stephen Manchester to me now!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Trap we trust

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If he's psychologically capable of playing well for Man City then that rules his mental state out as an excuse for not playing for Ireland. To me, it seems he couldn't be bothered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A real shame as he's playing great this season but the guy has minimal to zero interest in playing for his country. Full stop. Time to forget about him and move on with players that do.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Trap and Tardelli at the Wigan v City game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    From the BBC:

1612: Giovanni Trapattoni is sitting in the stands with England boss Fabio Capello's right-hand man Franco Baldini. Trapattoni will have to do some work to get Stephen Ireland back in his squad - the Man City midfielder told various Sunday papers he doesn't miss international football.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Closing time?

Now that its in black and white,is it time to close the thread to free up space for people and players who actually care about their country?Being a Cobh resident, I find this mans behaviour embarassing and shameful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think it'll only hit home for him when he's watching us at the WC on his telly in Manchester, and he'll know he could've been a part of it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Besides wouldn't he just fall into the same category as Andy Reid as far as Trapp was concerned? I can't see him play for Ireland except in a 5 man midfield. And he is less adept at playing wide than Reid. All in all given his behavioral/mental issues and problems of accomadating him iin the team I would say we are better off without him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    "I wouldn't say that I hated playing for Ireland. I just feel I'm better off away from it." from the interview today.

Sounds pretty clear to me that we should plan without him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am just waiting for the post that says, that the people who posted on www.foot.ie were to blame for him not wanting to come back.
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Playing for ireland is the last thing that he's thinking about. Now that money bags are backing the club he'll start publicly demanding a contract renegotiation so he's among the highest earners at City. He won't sit idly by as Robinho earns £160,000 a week.

didn't take him long the last time.
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer...story29370.asp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What he has said over the last couple of days is at odds with his comments last year on MOTD (for me any way), but at least there's some level of closure now on the issue. It's disappointing but I'm not as bothered as I would have thought. I honestly believe there'll be a stage where he'll need us more than we'll need him.

Things are flying now, we'll see now when City reach the standard they profess to target and S Ireland hits the inevitable blip in form. Has he got the head for dealing with fans and media at the Big Club when things aren't going well. Look at what happens Rooney when he's not scoring???? Even Scholes got it for a time some years ago. I don't think so. He's talented, yes, but I'm not sure he's the full package.

International football has been an outlet for Irish players in the past who have had a poor time at club level and they usually return from International duty better off. He's just removed that option.

I wouldn't want him back unless he was fully commited. Anything less would have been counter productive to the progress we've seen in the set up. He's an adult and we should accept it.

Hope someone has told him the parrable of Micheal Laudrup though....
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    What's the parable of Michael Laudrup?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post

Hope someone has told him the parrable of Micheal Laudrup though....
    Looks like you will have to do it because you are the only one who knows it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB of the day View Post
    Now that its in black and white,is it time to close the thread to free up space for people and players who actually care about their country?Being a Cobh resident, I find this mans behaviour embarassing and shameful.
    You do know we have unlimited space for such speculation, dont you?