Thread: Stephen Ireland

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think this quote from S. Hunt isn't so dumb:

"Stephen Ireland hasn’t said much. It’s more quotes coming from his Dad. It’s time to let it go. If Stephen Ireland has got something to say, let him say it. If not, don’t bloody write about it.”
    It's spot on, we have had this pantomine of Ireland'ss dad going to the newspapers indicating a return is imminent, I didn't believe it then and I certainitly don't believe it now. It's seems 'imaginative thinking' runs in the familly.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Den Perry View Post
    I think Hunt is getting way too big for his boots. If progress was being made with Stphen Ireland, the likes of this idiot spouting off could have a very negative impact. No player is bigger than the team...and that includes Hunt. He needs to be punished. I'd love to see him dropped and Ireland brought back in
    All these anti Hunty comments are very harsh IMO. The lad might not be the cleverist and should be advised not to answer so many questions honestly, but to say drop hunt out of the squad and bring back the prodigal brother, I'm not having that. There may or may not be a place in the squad for Ireland, but either way he has let his country down big time, on a number of occasions, and has a lot of repairing to do. And to say no player is bigger than the team...and then say drop hunt and bring in Ireland, who the hell has been the most disrespectful egotistical prat towards their country?

Very harsh to drag down any other players on the back of what Ireland has done.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I like Hunty, the level of commitment and attitude that he brings to playing for Ireland is in complete contrast to SI.

Hunt probably would be wiser to say no more about the matter at this stage, but this might have to do with the fact that if Ireland came back Hunt would be one of the most likely people to lose his place in the XI. The others being Whelan/Andrews.

I think the headlines have been a bit unfair though, if you read through the articles and see what he actually said isnt as damning as the headline suggested.

Funny how the star gets these "quotes" from his dad every few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Some of the comments here leave me scratching my head. Stephen Hunt is no fool. He has earned every second he gets in an Ireland shirt and should be respected for that. He is an asset to our squad (As Ireland would be also). But first lets finish off Hunt.

1. His attitude on and off the pitch epitomises the Irish squads mentality at the moment. They have a job to do. If you want to be involved, come and play. If not, good luck to you. Kids need not apply.

2. The man is asked a question and gives an honest answer and in the full view of the public eye. No hidden insider source, back of The Star bull that goes on. Straight up, no daddy in sight. It may be unconventional due to the lack of diplomacy at times but he is saying what others are thinking. (Do you think that the squad dont talk about it?)

3. The childish sneaky snide attitude thats been festering in the senior squad under Kerr and Stan has been eradicated. Back biting have been eating away at the squad for close on a decade with no one honest enough to stand up and call it as it is (since Roy Keane anyway). We now have a team of men, playing like men and for each other.

4. If S.Ireland wants to return to this team, it will be under those terms and with no apologies. And I believe he had some growing up to do - not in the football sense. Hopeful that process is now complete.

5. Hunt has worked his backside off over the last 10 years. 99% of players of his ability will have fallen by the wayside and destined to ply their trade in the lower leagues. Most would and could never aspire to playing international football. Yet, He has made his own luck.

Stephen Ireland has more football in his little toe than Hunt will ever have. Im sure Hunt would acknowledge that too.

Which of them has the greenest blood in their veins? With 365 days to the next World Cup and 270 minutes of qualification football left, only time will tell.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Excellent appraisal of the situation Blobby. I can't believe the disrespectful comments be thrown at an honest Irish player, that will always give 100% and never hide or run away when the going gets tough. I haven't heard comments like some of those on here since I was in primary school.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Polster View Post
    Excellent appraisal of the situation Blobby. I can't believe the disrespectful comments be thrown at an honest Irish player, that will always give 100% and never hide or run away when the going gets tough. I haven't heard comments like some of those on here since I was in primary school.
    I agree, some of the comments are OTT. However, much as I like Hunt any slagging of his dress sense is entirely justified!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob View Post
    Some of the comments here leave me scratching my head. Stephen Hunt is no fool. He has earned every second he gets in an Ireland shirt and should be respected for that. He is an asset to our squad (As Ireland would be also). But first lets finish off Hunt.

1. His attitude on and off the pitch epitomises the Irish squads mentality at the moment. They have a job to do. If you want to be involved, come and play. If not, good luck to you. Kids need not apply.

2. The man is asked a question and gives an honest answer and in the full view of the public eye. No hidden insider source, back of The Star bull that goes on. Straight up, no daddy in sight. It may be unconventional due to the lack of diplomacy at times but he is saying what others are thinking. (Do you think that the squad dont talk about it?)

3. The childish sneaky snide attitude thats been festering in the senior squad under Kerr and Stan has been eradicated. Back biting have been eating away at the squad for close on a decade with no one honest enough to stand up and call it as it is (since Roy Keane anyway). We now have a team of men, playing like men and for each other.

4. If S.Ireland wants to return to this team, it will be under those terms and with no apologies. And I believe he had some growing up to do - not in the football sense. Hopeful that process is now complete.

5. Hunt has worked his backside off over the last 10 years. 99% of players of his ability will have fallen by the wayside and destined to ply their trade in the lower leagues. Most would and could never aspire to playing international football. Yet, He has made his own luck.

Stephen Ireland has more football in his little toe than Hunt will ever have. Im sure Hunt would acknowledge that too.

Which of them has the greenest blood in their veins? With 365 days to the next World Cup and 270 minutes of qualification football left, only time will tell.
    Good Post I would have to agree for the first time in years there is a unity of purpose and togetherness to this collection of players that we haven't seen for years perhaps since the Charlton era.. fair pair to Trap I think he is solely responsible for this and I suppose its down to respect from the players towards management and great man management...a highly talented petulant 22 year old would be bread and butter to the experienced manager.. the mentality is right.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Ireland after being told by trap on his return that hunty starts and he is on the bench....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

I'm not denying Hunt is committed. All I'm saying is he should keep his mouth shut regarding the Stephen Ireland situation. I don't hear senior players like Keane, Duff or Dunne speaking out criticising SI. Last year he wrote an article in his column stating that SI needed to become " a man". Who does he think he is?

You asked if we think the squad talk about it? Of course they do, butI thought the golden rule was to keep everything in the dressing room? Granted Ireland is not part of that now, but its very likely he will be again soon.

And giving forthright answers to the media is somewhat naive...

For the record, given the information that we have ,I believe Stephen Ireland is wrong in not making himself available. However, he is a fantastic player, and while we should not be begging him to return, comments from the likes of Hunt do not help

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I'm not denying Hunt is committed. All I'm saying is he should keep his mouth shut regarding the Stephen Ireland situation. I don't hear senior players like Keane, Duff or Dunne speaking out criticising SI. Last year he wrote an article in his column stating that SI needed to become " a man". Who does he think he is?
    1. He is a fully committed active playing member of the squad who played no small part in have put everything into getting us to a position of at least getting a play off spot and all but eliminating Bulgaria with 3 games to go

2. Hunt has earned his right to speak in the same way that Trappatoni has earned the fans respect with his performances. The question is, how are you qualified to tell him to shut his mouth?

3. Ive no problem with Hunt calling for Ireland to become a man and that is exactly the point I was making. Stephen Ireland had some serious growing up to do at the point where he put his grandmothers in their graves. God knows that both he and his girlfriend had some serious personal difficulties to deal with also. The point is that our team needs men. A world cup is no place for kids who need their ego's massaged. Hunt is dead right in asking the chap to grow a pair of balls and step up to the mark. Then we get on with the job.

You asked if we think the squad talk about it? Of course they do, but I thought the golden rule was to keep everything in the dressing room? Granted Ireland is not part of that now, but its very likely he will be again soon.
    Golden Rule B****x. Players talk all the time. They talk to their mates. They talk to the press. They talk to their auld lads over the phone who talk to their mates. Come into the real world Den. Players are just people. They dont sign up to secret handshakes and dressing room confidentiality agreements. Quiet a few people here will know players or know people who know players and there is very little that goes on in the dressing room that wont be out quickly. I dont have to wait til the next days paper after an international to find out whats been said in the dressing room after the match.

And giving forthright answers to the media is somewhat naive...
    Why? It might give the tabloids something to think about. At least what Hunt has to say will come from his own mouth and not "an FAI source" and we know its fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    2. Hunt has earned his right to speak in the same way that Trappatoni has earned the fans respect with his performances. The question is, how are you qualified to tell him to shut his mouth?
    he should shut his mouth, for these reasons IMO.
    1. hes always in the media talking about whats going on. i dont hear any of the other players blabbing on all the time.
    2. its up to trap and ireland to sort it out. he dosent need him stirring things up in the media.

for what its worth i hate the way ireland walked out on us. but if he wants to come back then lets get him back in and get on with things. all any of us want is to see ire win games and get to the WC. im willing to get him back in as he will clearly make the team better.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie View Post
    he should shut his mouth, for these reasons IMO.
    1. hes always in the media talking about whats going on. i dont hear any of the other players blabbing on all the time.
    2. its up to trap and ireland to sort it out. he dosent need him stirring things up in the media.

for what its worth i hate the way ireland walked out on us. but if he wants to come back then lets get him back in and get on with things. all any of us want is to see ire win games and get to the WC. im willing to get him back in as he will clearly make the team better.
    Did Roy Keane not 'blabb' on all the time, did you have the same opinion of him?

I'm sure I have seen Given and Dunne quoted with none to favourable comments about Ireland, Given when he was still at Newcastle.

I think the main difference in this case is that what Ireland did was very selfish and directly impacted the players he left behind. If players are very let down by that why shouldn't they voice their opinion.

How many times have we had comments from Ireland or his Daddy suggesting he might come back, its pure arrogance and the bottom line is the lad needs to really show he has matured as an person before he can be fully accepted back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    1. He is a fully committed active playing member of the squad who played no small part in have put everything into getting us to a position of at least getting a play off spot and all but eliminating Bulgaria with 3 games to go

3. Ive no problem with Hunt calling for Ireland to become a man and that is exactly the point I was making. Stephen Ireland had some serious growing up to do at the point where he put his grandmothers in their graves. God knows that both he and his girlfriend had some serious personal difficulties to deal with also. The point is that our team needs men. A world cup is no place for kids who need their ego's massaged. Hunt is dead right in asking the chap to grow a pair of balls and step up to the mark. Then we get on with the job.

Golden Rule B****x. Players talk all the time. They talk to their mates. They talk to the press. They talk to their auld lads over the phone who talk to their mates. Come into the real world Den. Players are just people. They dont sign up to secret handshakes and dressing room confidentiality agreements. Quiet a few people here will know players or know people who know players and there is very little that goes on in the dressing room that wont be out quickly. I dont have to wait til the next days paper after an international to find out whats been said in the dressing room after the match.

Why? It might give the tabloids something to think about. At least what Hunt has to say will come from his own mouth and not "an FAI source" and we know its fact.

Fair enough, they are your opinions, I have mine...and one of those is that I believe Hunt is a moron.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Fair enough, they are your opinions, I have mine...and one of those is that I believe Hunt is a moron.
    You only have to take one look at that picture posted above to see irrefutable proof of that being the case.

I've always got the impression that even for a professional footballer he is at the lower end of the intelligence scale in his profession.

Personally I'm tired of the will he/wont he come back Stephen Ireland media circus. It's like a bad plotline from Dream Team.
    Last edited by youngirish; 11/06/2009 at 1:41 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Polster unreal, I cant beleive that you didnt get more thanks for that. Brilliant polster.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Hunt's interview is actually quite balanced, but it seems that some of you have been reading/listening selectively. Some excerpts from that interview that stick out to me that totally contradict how some of you are trying to depict Hunt:

"He has been the best player for Ireland this year in the Premier League by a country mile. Exceptional -- there is no doubting that. If he comes back into the camp, he would be a good player to have and he might give us that extra step towards the World Cup which we may need.

"But then again, you tell someone who has been sitting in the wings waiting for a chance that he is not going to the World Cup because he has come back in late doors. You might have a few players upset about it -- especially at this stage of the campaign. That's fair enough, I think."
    "It's how the team feels. It doesn't make a difference how I feel, I don't want to dodge a bullet, but it's how the team feels," says the Waterford man.

"The most important thing is if the team wants him back in; if the captain and the manager want him back in -- they are focal points in the team and they have the main say in terms of that.

"But the ones who have turned up over the campaign -- it would be very harsh on them to be left out and to not go to a World Cup because of that."
    "I've never had a problem with him when he's been in the squad before," he stressed. "We have always talked and there has never been a problem.
    "They (the management) are not stupid, they know exactly how the players feel and what they're like. The manager has always said he's been a player before and if he thinks it's better for the team then I'll go with that and so will all the players because we believe in the manager and we believe in the captain.

"They'll come to an agreement. It's not for me -- with 18 caps under my belt -- to say, b******s, you're not coming back in."
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...g-1767772.html

But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good story...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Hunt's interview is actually quite balanced, but it seems that some of you have been reading/listening selectively. Some excerpts from that interview that stick out to me that totally contradict how some of you are trying to depict Hunt:

I think if you hear the interview a lot of it is in the tone to be honest. As I've said earlier in the thread I like Hunt (and think Stephen Ireland is a dick of the highest order) but I think he's a bit rent a quote on this issue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

At last, someone with a bit of sense. Great well thought out balanced post backed up with fact. My faith is restored. Thank you.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Cheers for that, being away I don't get to see/hear everything 1st hand, and so rely on forums like these for info.....change of tactics required there

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think it really matters what Hunt is saying, I just don't believe that him getting involved and commenting at all is a good idea in the first place. He should leave it up to the manager to resolve.