Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matthews confirmed as new Cork manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Matthews confirmed as new Cork manager

From rte website.....

Cork City have announced the appointment of Alan Mathews as their new first team manager.

He replaces Damien Richardson who left after falling out with the club's directors.

Mathews, 42, was formerly manager of Longford Town where he enjoyed considerable success, winning two FAI Cups and one League Cup in his six seasons in charge of the Midlands club.

The new City boss has signed a three-year contract with the Turner's Cross club and will be officially unveiled at a press conference tomorrow.

Mathews is delighted with his new role and said: 'I consider it a great honour to have been given the opportunity to manage the club.

'I'm looking forward to working with quality players at a club that has such passionate supporters. I can't wait to get working and I look forward to a successful time with Cork City.'

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think its a backward step appointing him as manager,
    il give him 10 games and cork will be looking for a new manager.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Man Himself View Post
    i think its a backward step appointing him as manager,
    il give him 10 games and cork will be looking for a new manager.
    yeah, won 3 trophies with limited money and squad, was the leagues longest serving manager and has a great business mind when it comes to signing. So an awful signing for city

Good luck Alan and thanks for the memories.

Oh and good luck at the BIGGEST CLUB in the country well in the supporters heads anyway.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by max power View Post
    yeah, won 3 trophies with limited money and squad, was the leagues longest serving manager and has a great business mind when it comes to signing. So an awful signing for city

Good luck Alan and thanks for the memories.

Oh and good luck at the BIGGEST CLUB in the country well in the supporters heads anyway.
    Dont expect to see much creativity with matthews in charge, u may forget abou gettin the best out of kearney :L
    Matthews had the greatest resources and squad of any longford manager, so i wouldnt say that it was limited. Great business mind?! He paid 10,000 for robbie martin ffs

I hope it works out for him, in fairness he did stay with us when things went bad last year, when others would have walked.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabs88 View Post
    Dont expect to see much creativity with matthews in charge, u may forget abou gettin the best out of kearney :L
    Matthews had the greatest resources and squad of any longford manager, so i wouldnt say that it was limited. Great business mind?! He paid 10,000 for robbie martin ffs

I hope it works out for him, in fairness he did stay with us when things went bad last year, when others would have walked.
    Limited compared to the rest of the league and won 3 trophies. Yes he has a great business mind, maybe 10k for Martin. But how much with Mooney net us, along with other players sold....which he brought in.
    Ignore Max Power, he is no more, the future is Ron Burgundy. I'd love to be Ron Burgundy but they won't let me........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    Limited compared to the rest of the league and won 3 trophies. Yes he has a great business mind, maybe 10k for Martin. But how much with Mooney net us, along with other players sold....which he brought in.
    How many did he bring in, and how many did aaron callaghan and the reap scheme bring in for players comin from england? If he had a 'business' sense, he would have tried to use the cards he was dealt, and try out locals, something he was always reluctant to do

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How many did he bring in, and how many did aaron callaghan and the reap scheme bring in for players comin from england?
    That was Darragh Sheridan actually who worked with Alan to bring in those players. The day before the season started he had 2 players signed ( like now) and a squad was put together that eventually went on to cup success.

The reason only 2 were signed was a certain former manager who kept telling the board all was rosey, while he had signed no one. That included the players at the club already.

We disagree, but Corks back 4 will improve and if the midfield etc can click they will do well. We always had a weakness in midfield Cork are well covered there and i feel that could see them in the european places at least come next Nov.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    How many did he bring in, and how many did aaron callaghan and the reap scheme bring in for players comin from england? If he had a 'business' sense, he would have tried to use the cards he was dealt, and try out locals, something he was always reluctant to do
    He'll have all the guys at the soccer academy to choose from down here at local level, but agreed .... he'll need to start looking locally. Even being seen helps the situation.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    He'll have all the guys at the soccer academy to choose from down here at local level, but agreed .... he'll need to start looking locally. Even being seen helps the situation.
    is he moving down with the family ??

What is the under age coaching like ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    is he moving down with the family ??
    Yeah, was just on Des Cahill RTE1 there and they are all moving down.

What is the under age coaching like ?
    Brilliant with whats there, but plans for more teams.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Cork finally confirm Mathews

Cork finally confirm Mathews

Cork City Football Club announced the appointment of Alan Mathews as manager of the Leeside club today, Tuesday. 42 year old Mathews, was formerly manager of Longford Town where he enjoyed considerable success, winning two FAI Cups and one League Cup in his six seasons in charge of the Midlands club.

Mathews has put pen to paper on a three year contract with the club, and will be officially unveiled at a press conference in Beamish House tomorrow afternoon at 4.30pm.

He expressed his delight at taking on the role and told CorkCityFC.ie: “I consider it a great honour to have been given the opportunity to manage the club. I’m looking forward to working with quality players at a club that has such passionate supporters. I can’t wait to get working and I look forward to a successful future with Cork City.”

Read more at www.chatsoccer.eu - Click link on page for part two

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    As with many other City fans I saw no reason to sack Rico and considering all he gave to the club he was deplorably treated.
    Matthews will be given a chance.
    "Must you tell me all your secrets when it's hard enough to love you knowing nothing."

http://worddok.blogspot.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Rico will be missed. I hope Matthews does well, but I am feeling pessimistic. I figure unless he is replaced during the season, City won't have a prayer of getting a European spot except by winning the Cup again, if he can duplicate his Cup success with Longford. I don't see him taking the club higher than fifth in the league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankExile View Post
    Rico will be missed. I hope Matthews does well, but I am feeling pessimistic. I figure unless he is replaced during the season, City won't have a prayer of getting a European spot except by winning the Cup again, if he can duplicate his Cup success with Longford. I don't see him taking the club higher than fifth in the league.
    all depends on how many quality proven players he can bring in. If he can sign 4/5 players to go straight into the team we'll do well. If we don;t bring in quality I fear your assessment could be right.
    "Its the bad players who are the luxury not the skillfull ones"
    Danny Blanchflower

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Has anyone else noticed that the club website is still listing Rico as manager in the team directory?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cant say I see this appointment going well. With a good squad in Longford in 2003 apart from the cup win his performance in the league was,and indeed over the course of his tenure,never very good!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YankExile View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the club website is still listing Rico as manager in the team directory?
    The website isn't being updated at all really beyond the news page, the only bit people inside the club have access to.

Very disappointing considering it was so impressive a few years ago but the interest isnt there from the guy that ran it then. Hopefully it'll pick up again now that his main interest in the club, George O'Callaghan, is re-signing.
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Definitely a backwards step from Richardson. I can see us playing awful, hoofing, long-ball rubbish from now on

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Definitely a backwards step from Richardson. I can see us playing awful, hoofing, long-ball rubbish from now on
    Not much change there then
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bellavistaman View Post
    Not much change there then
    You watched us on telly then?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast