Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: FÁS to be replaced with new agency

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts

FÁS to be replaced with new agency

Mary Coughlan has announced that FAS is to be replaced with a new training agency in 2011 (http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/...?view=Standard). As somebody who did a FAS course way back in the day, and later, as a freelance trainer, worked for two companies with FAS contracts, I’m not sure that a new body replicating the mistakes and inefficiencies of the old one is a good idea. Wasn’t FAS the replacement for AnCo and the National Manpower Service, both seen as inefficient and not delivering results or VFM? What odds on a clean broom, or: chairs, Titanic, reshuffle. It smacks of doing something because she has to be seen to be doing something.

I’m also more than a little wary of the issue of certification. There are too many wishy-washy certifying institutes that are nothing more than money-making operations. Unlike, say, FETAC (at least in state colleges), they simply accept training companies’ word on course results, without subjecting them to any validation. Obviously not all training companies operating courses for FAS are dodgy, but after the withholding of certificates in Louth, are employers going to trust FAS/its replacement trainees in the future?

Any ideas, btw, what the new agency could be called? The funnier, more satirical the better... An Bord Uafásach...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I’m also more than a little wary of the issue of certification. There are too many wishy-washy certifying institutes that are nothing more than money-making operations. Unlike, say, FETAC (at least in state colleges), they simply accept training companies’ word on course results, without subjecting them to any validation. Obviously not all training companies operating courses for FAS are dodgy, but after the withholding of certificates in Louth, are employers going to trust FAS/its replacement trainees in the future?
    FAS haven't issued certificates for many years - FETAC is the national standard certifying body at levels 1 - 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications, and it's FETAC that is on the majority of awards (along with the likes of City and Guilds and industry certification). It was actually the FAS verification procedures (and staff) that uncovered the certification issues, but FETAC validation was coming on stream for all FETAC awards anyway.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Any ideas, btw, what the new agency could be called? The funnier, more satirical the better... An Bord Uafásach...?
    The Walt Disney Corporation. Making the holiday of your dreams.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    When I was first signing on:

Dole Office:

"Look lad, you have to register with FAS first.

FAS Office:

"I don't know why they sent you up here lad, we've nothing for you."

Dole Office:

"Get back up there and do an interview with them, try get yourself on a course."

FAS Office:

"You can't have a course, you are over qualified. GO AWAY. Go back up there and sign on, don't bother coming up here anymore there's nothing for you."

That was over two years ago. Life is good.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    FAS haven't issued certificates for many years - FETAC is the national standard certifying body at levels 1 - 6 on the National Framework of Qualifications, and it's FETAC that is on the majority of awards (along with the likes of City and Guilds and industry certification). It was actually the FAS verification procedures (and staff) that uncovered the certification issues, but FETAC validation was coming on stream for all FETAC awards anyway.
    Thanks, Macy. I'm familiar with most of that. I've been involved in rolling-out internal verification of grades for FETAC L5 and L6 awards in my college, and BTEC HNDs too - for my sins! (Incidentally, I'm on career break at the moment, so I'm not sure how the changes that were proposed on external verification are progressing in the FE sector. Any knowledge of that, yourself?) My issue was with the opportunity for a weak training company to get its awards certified by awarding bodies who may not be as reputable, or as concerned with standards as FETAC or C&G. I'm familiar with Pitman and the Institute of Commercial Management, and they seem fine too. I'd like to see the new FAS tighten up on awards and certification, and insist on external validation for all awarding bodies to confirm grades awarded by trainers. I trust FETAC (when the career break is over, I might apply to become an external examiner); I don't necessarily trust awarding bodies that exist as profit-making companies.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    FETAC have common award standards coming on stream for what would've been industry certification previously. Whether they get industry buy in is a different matter, but the groups have had industry people on them. There's definitely a move to FETAC certification being available as THE national standard.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.