Results 2,021 to 2,022 of 2022

Thread: Lisbon Treaty

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    As far as I know, any alteration to a treaty requires a referendum, but to add to the confusion, there's also an Article 48 in Lisbon that allows it to amend itself without the requirements of each country. So, if it's critical to Lisbon by completely changing it, we'll be voting, but if it's just seen as an add-on, we mightn't. A very grey area, but I'd say there'll be a Lisbon 3.
    Yeah, appears if it isn't too big a change they may get away without Lisbon 3, and they'll try and avoid that at all costs. I've no doubt any change will at least be challenged by someone, so another bit of uncertainty to add to the mix!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82
    As far as I know, any alteration to a treaty requires a referendum, but to add to the confusion, there's also an Article 48 in Lisbon that allows it to amend itself without the requirements of each country. So, if it's critical to Lisbon by completely changing it, we'll be voting, but if it's just seen as an add-on, we mightn't. A very grey area, but I'd say there'll be a Lisbon 3.
    There won't be. Lisbon has been ratified by the Former Independent Republic Of Ireland. The treaty is self-amending, and the European Constitution takes precedence over ours. Therefore a referendum here is not required.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out