Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sam Allardyce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sam Allardyce

Would be perfect for the Irish job in my opinion, hopefully the FAI pull out all the stops to get him and his back-room staff.

I can't believe that Newcastle have sacked him already, ridiculous decision, he's one of the top managers in Britain, he just needed time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I'd be happy with Big Sam personally, very happy. He hasn't done well at all at Newcastle winning 8 of 24 games, so that is obviously a concern, but he did well at Bolton with some pretty average (and in some cases worse-than-average) players, which is essentially the same standard he would inherit in the Ireland setup. He also has League of Ireland management experience when he managed Limerick in the early 90s, so that's a plus!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bit O'Red View Post
    Would be perfect for the Irish job in my opinion, hopefully the FAI pull out all the stops to get him and his back-room staff.
    What's the latest census figures on the backroom staff?
    We´d need an IMF loan to cover that lot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    but he did well at Bolton with some pretty average (and in some cases worse-than-average) players, which is essentially the same standard he would inherit in the Ireland setup

Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    Newcastle's loss = Irelands gain

If he would take it on, he is without a doubt the outstanding candidate out there

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Well since Hodgson didn't get it and no other decent manager has popped up in the reckoning I'd be more than happy with Allerdyce at this stage.
    And I was one who originally wanted a fresh approach with a continental style/internationally experienced manager, rather than the ol tried and trusted british guy and his north-west-european-archipelago stuck in his ways style of play and management.

Oh well.

Like others on this site have expressed in recent days, I've become a bit fed up with the whole rigmarole. No word of Houllier, Jol, Hodgson etc (the good candidates), stuck speculating over Brady, Hoddle , Terry 'celebrity manager' Venebles etc, I'd be massively surprised if we hear anything from the FAI in the coming week over this great opportunity to get a decent manager in.

There's always hope I guess.
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I reckon he would like it.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    There's once again a good manager back on the market. Sign him up quick. Can't see it happening though.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    I reckon he would like it.
    He's in a strange enough position - taking a job at a smaller club would be seen as a step-down. Moving into an international job may appeal to him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,745 Posts
    This'd be bad news if Newcastle go for Houllier.

Shay Given was rumoured to be part of a group of players unhappy with Allardyce. Since the FAI consulted Given and others after the Wales game I'd find it odd if they went for a candidate not liked by one of the senior players they consulted. I'm not sure about Duff's role or whether he was one of the Newcastle dissenters. Pure conjecture mind.

Many of us cited Venables' "dodginess" as a big negative. Don't the same standards apply to Sam?

He'd be a generally good candidate, miles better than many of the no-marks suggested, but Geysir's comment about the census is spot on - he brought about 20 -30 "staff" into the set up at Newcastle. Very odd and very expensive. I'd have other reservations but Jaysus, as I said eralier, we can't turn our noses at good candidates. I'd still prefer Houllier and by quite a bit.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/01/2008 at 5:55 PM. Reason: substituted "ok candidate" for "good candidate"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I really don't understand why the players opinions have been sought over the new manager. You appoint the man with the best cv and with a good track record. What you don't do is go and ask a few players opinions about who they would like to see get the job. These are the same players who have failed us over the last 5 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Sam Allardyci, no thanks.

If you thought Kerr's teams were boring to watch.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah I would not be keen on Allardyce I must say.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How do we go about setting up a pole on here for a vote on Big Sam for the job? I'd be interested to see what everyone thinks. I would very much be in the Sam for Ireland Camp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Hark-back to the Charlton era. Lump it up style of football pare excellence, but may well be successful.

Its a damning indictment of the quality of manager we can attract that he is one of the better candidates.

Someone rang into The Last Word this evening and suggested hiring him on the premise that he could convince Kevin Nolan to declare for Ireland....

I sometimes think we get exactly what some of our fans deserve.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    No, no, no. Have you seen Newcastle this season? Shocking individual performances (which throws his supposed legendary man-management skills into question) and tactically they have been nothing short of childish, there is no intention to play football and its just route one time and time again. We actually have some decent players these days (Keane, Doyle, Duff, Hunt, McGeady, Ireland, Dunne) and we need a manager who will be able to use those talents to play to our strengths.

No thanks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    No thanks. We can do better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    No thanks. We can do better.
    Like who exactly???

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Why are some people getting so excited about a recent failure. He had decent players at newcastle and he couldn't do a thing with them.
    He did well with Bolton but didn't do much before that(got notts county promoted then relegated I think)
    Having said all that he's a good sight better than all the guys who haven't managed for 10 years.
    I'd prefer Houllier

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I'd take him Crazy decision by Newcastle after half a season. Look at Villa last year, exact same position as Newcastle this year, playing awful football yet no one was looking to sack O'Neill. It takes time to rebuild a club especially a comedy club like Newcastle and their carToon army. Should be funny to see Shearer fall on his arse.

Allardyce might feel he has something to prove after being snubbed by England for McClaren despite giving what was generally accepted to be an excellent presentation and future plan as part of his interview. Bit like Jack when he took over. Best candidate out there, Houllier was more of a route one merchant then Allardyce in any case.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast