Keane
    Doyle
    Long

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    O'Hara isn't eligible. He is now 21 and any decision to change "nationality" (he has played underage for england) must have been made before he turned 21.

Is David Murphy of Hibs eligible?

By and large I agree with your squad, without going to any great degree of scrutiny. I'd have Steven Reid in there for certain though.

Clinton is definitely due a recall and I think we need to keep looking at St.Ledger. By all accounts he's been playing very well.

I was surprised that Liam Lawrence was overlooked by Staunton apart from one call up I think.

From the Championship Walters, Lee and Yeates are deserving of consideration, maybe also Gary Doherty as back up CB.

The better U21 players are probably better off playing in the U21 team unless they're clearly better than older players in similar positions. What on earth was the point of Andy Keogh playing out of position against Germany and Cyprus? Despite this, I still have a feeling that Garvan might be worth giving a run in the senior squad.

What age is Darron Gibson? Still U21 eligble?

New manager = new start for Stephen Ireland hopefully.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    I am not sure if either O'Hara or Murphy are eligble but sure we should give it a try. we need to freshen up this squad in certain areas . I only left out Reid as it may be too early ( he is out again with a calf injury at present, Gibson is only 20 I think...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    O'Hara is definitely not eligible. He is already 21 and has played underage for England.

Steven Reid's injury isn't serious and being dropped was mainly precautionary so I'd have him in. Andy Reid will most likely be out I believe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would defo like to see Morrison back in there. Scoring quite regularly at the moment and has done really well for us in the past.

Would like to see Stokes in there as well. See what he can do from the start up front with Keane. Or at least 45 mins.

I would like to see A O'Brien start again as he has done well enough since his move and I'd leave out McShane for the rest he looks likes he needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    David Murphy isn't eligible according to himself. Shame though. He's class

(think he'll be at celtic in coming days if rumours are true)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Hibs4ever were did you hear this mate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Hibs4ever were did you hear this mate?

Its been doing the rounds for a couple of months on the Hibs messageboards and various newspaperrs in Scotland. He has always said he wants to play in england again, but I think celtic are offering big money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Lawerence
    He is playing well at the moment but from what i have seen Wes Hoolahan surely deserves a call up ahead of Lawrence

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    I think there should be a focus on sorting out our problem positions; basically Richard Dunne's partner, left-full, and the central midfield partnership. Whatever squad is picked should be looking to try out players for these positions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    5 names I'd like to see asked for training are the following:

Garvan - fingers crossed he is our future at CM
    Morrison - on fire and worth another look.
    Liam Lawrence
    Andy O'Brien - regular at Bolton now so deserves a call up
    Hoolahan - goal scoring MF are always welcome to the table.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    I think there should be a focus on sorting out our problem positions; basically Richard Dunne's partner, left-full, and the central midfield partnership. Whatever squad is picked should be looking to try out players for these positions.
    exactly....lets broaden our options and draft in some younger lads with potential this time (as opposed to Stan's policy of drafting in youth with connections to Pat Devlin):

i.e

LB - O'Halloran (any news of a loan move to the championship yet?)
    CB - Slim pickings but St. Ledger should be in the squad from the off and maybe try and unearth a granny-ruler? (or bring back the doc! )
    CM - definitely Garvan and McCann, also Walters as an extra option on the right

it seems that centre-half is our main worry should something happen to Dunne (God forbid!)....there has to be other options out there???
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    exactly....lets broaden our options and draft in some younger lads with potential this time (as opposed to Stan's policy of drafting in youth with connections to Pat Devlin):

i.e

CB - Slim pickings but St. Ledger should be in the squad from the off and maybe try and unearth a granny-ruler? (or bring back the doc! )

it seems that centre-half is our main worry should something happen to Dunne (God forbid!)....there has to be other options out there???
    what about Bennet for CB. Seems to be playing regularly for Southampton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah forgot about Bennett. Thought he looked handy in the US so deffo worth a try...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    from the Times on October 4th, 2007: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle2584735.ece
    Martin O’Neill is mulling over whether to send Stephen O’Halloran, the 21-year-old defender, out on loan. “I have had loads of inquiries about him and he needs games,” the manager said. “But he isn’t a million miles away from playing here.”
    Of course he never did go out on loan, but at least it shows he was in O'Neill's thoughs
    On Villa's website today, there's this: http://www.avfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...204752,00.html
    We've got three established goalkeepers in that group of 23 [current Villa squad] so we're down to 20, which includes Stephen O'Halloran and Moustapha Salifou who have never played a game for us, Patrik Berger and Isaiah Osbourne.
    Depsite the praise St Ledger has been getting lately, Preston are bottom of the Championship. How about Alex Bruce? Ipswich are playing some good football (well, at home anyway) and there's a large Irish contingent at the club

Rory Delap is playing regularly in a decent Stoke side (4th in the Championship, could condemn Allardyce this weekend)
    Probably too early for JJ O'Toole, let him develop in the U-21's until the Autumn games
    Walters on the right? Surely Hoolahan or Yeates would be a better option?

There are slim pickings at Premiership level, but we can still put out a Premiership team of
    Given, Kelly, Dunne, McShane, Finnan, Duff, Carsley, Steven Reid, Ireland, Keane, Kevin Doyle with Colin Doyle, O'Shea, Harte, Hunt and Long on the bench
    That's still leaving Kilbane, Kavanagh, Stokes (amongst others) out of the matchday XVI
    Even picking players from the Championship, I reckon a starting XI of
    Kenny (if he can be persuaded to come back), Foley, Ledger, Doherty, Bruce, Yeates, Andy Reid, McCann, Hoolahan, Morrison, Lee/Walters, with Joe Murphy, Delaney, McCarthy, Garvan, Lee/Walters on the bench is not a bad side.
    That's still leaving out Michael Doyle, Jay Tabb, Billy Clarke, Alan Mahon, Stephen McPhail, Mark Kennedy, etc
    Even in the SPL, there's the bones of a decent squad with
    Richie Byrne, Darren O'Dea, Sean Dillon, David Van Zanten, McGeady, Cregg, Alan O'Brien, Stephen Bradley, Barrett, Hunt.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 03/01/2008 at 1:48 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

i.e

What's the craic with Walters at Ispwich... Is he a centre forward or on the right?
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    What's the craic with Walters at Ispwich... Is he a centre forward or on the right?

any time i've seen him with Ipswich he's down as lining up on the right but I think he floats and joins the attack quite a bit, hence the amount of goals he's getting this season.
    Started out as a striker when at Bolton afaik....

Tets - I take your point on Hoolahan and Yeates, I would class Yeates and Walters as very similar types of players i.e midfielders with a happy knack of scoring goals, always though of Hoolahan as an Andy Reid type player, has a lovely left foot on him....all deffo worth a look anyway...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Another option at CB is Paddy McCarthy. I would rate him ahead of Bruce anyway and he only has 3 yellows so far this season so he seems to have improved his dicipline since moving to Charlton. I don't know much about St Ledger.

What's the story with David Norris. I only know he's playing regularly and has 5 goals so far this season. Anyone been keeping a closer eye on him since he was first mentioned as an Irish prospect? He's 26 now so it would want to happen soon.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    St Ledger is believed to be a target for Derby, WBA, Wolves and Charlton so must be worth a shout, a much more accomplished player than the likes of McShane, Bruce and McCarthy.
    The Preston fans are calling him "The New Mark Lawrenson" high praise indeed.
    I think we need to get him tired to Ireland asap!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    I think we need to get him tired to Ireland asap!
    He was on the bench away against Germany at the start of the qualifiers: http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=496929
    Don't think he can change his allegiance now, even though he didn't come on.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast