Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool "Dunne" to death!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts

Thumbs up Liverpool "Dunne" to death!!

What a perfomance by Richard Dunne. Last ditch tackles, clearances off the line. A tower of strength. Oh for another centre-half like him.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Saw that match as well, one of the best performances I've ever seen from a centre-half.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=519222

Sven agrees. “I thought Richard was colossal,” Sven asserts, “He had a magnificent game, absolutely outstanding. The entire back four were superb and I thought we deserved the point.

“Richard and Micah have been so important for us this season, it’s like building a house, you start from behind and they have done an excellent job for us all season. They are great football players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    "last ditch tackles, clearing off the line" surley the great defenders dont have to to do this because they cut out things earlier but maybe im just negative.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave77 View Post
    "last ditch tackles, clearing off the line" surley the great defenders dont have to to do this because they cut out things earlier but maybe im just negative.

In fairness, even the great defenders can't be every place at once to cut out every through ball, so the last ditch tackles and blocks are generally required at any level. However, City were pretty much outclassed by Liverpool, and if weren't for Dunne in particular they would have gotten at least the one goal required to win the game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What a majestic performance by Dunne today. It was definitely the best individual performance I've seen from an Irish player in quite some time. He's matured into a top-class central defender and an outstanding leader.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    correct. typical irish view IMO, youd really want to study the game to pick negatives out of his game, fair play for putting in the time to do so.
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    While that would generally be true it doesn't apply to this performance- you'd only see this by looking at the highlights.

I agree with Jamaican PM- absolute top quality from Dunne today. He's definitely up there now as one of the top centre backs in the Premiership.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    In all fairness I cant really comment since I only saw highlights and Dunne seemed to have a good a game, my problem is Dunne is always likely to make a mistake during games, he does something brilliant then something stupid, compared to what we have had I think he is good nothing more, but maybe im negative.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    In all fairness I cant really comment since I only saw highlights and Dunne seemed to have a good a game, my problem is Dunne is always likely to make a mistake during games, he does something brilliant then something stupid, compared to what we have had I think he is good nothing more, but maybe im negative.
    That post is about 2 or 3 years (if not more) out of date, Dunne rarely makes mistakes these days, it's actually very unlikely that's he'll do so in any given 90 minutes.

He was superb yesterday and should be our next captain without doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Agree, Dunne for our player of the year, Dunne for our captain. One Tallaght boy for another.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Superb performance: leadership, judgment, strength, pace, subtelty, timing, reading...

He really contained Torres though Alan Greene was ranting on all through the 606 phone-in that it was a penalty for "manhandling Torres". I'm obviously biased but Torres was trying to push across Dunne just as much as Dunne was trying to repel Torres. He was just stronger.

I used to think Dunne was really only a "backs to the wall" defender but now I think he's the real deal.

The last-gasp tackles are one thing but his general game was superb. Young McShane makes very good last gasp interventions but in his case I think it sometimes betrays poor initial positioning, very often he's recovering from an earlier error. Dunne used to be like that at times.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dunne was superb yesterday, I havent seen any other defender play Torres as well this season. It was refreshing to see both Torres and Dunne play the game as it should be played both players trying to use their talents to outdo the other without resorting to diving/cheating etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Torres was very much off his touch, but Dunne's attentions didn't help him one bit. Massive performance from the Honey Monster.

Really enjoyed that match, if not the result, as a Liverpool fan.
    Because if Gabriel doesn't rollerblade to the Chelsea Piers then the terrorists have truly won.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    excellent performance frm dunne.
    Saint Patricks Athletic Fans Team. Eircom League Supporters Cup Champions 2006. P3 W2 D1 L0 F3 A0. Thats why we're champions, Thats why we're champions, Thats why.............

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Agree, Dunne for our player of the year, Dunne for our captain. One Tallaght boy for another.
    that for me is the real positive of Dunne's performance. As good as his tackling, passing, intercepting and all round perfromance was, he was constantly talking to players around him, encouraging players with pats on the back, encouraging the young keeper, organizing at corners etc. He really and truly needs to be our captain - he has it all.
    You could see that Torres was just demoralized as he was beaten in the air, on the ground, out wide, in the box.
    As one other poster said here, this has been Richie Dunne for the past 2 years - incredible conistencty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    If he continues to show the form he has shown since the start of the English season, he will make the team of the year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Great performance from Dunne although I thought Torres looked very tired even early on in the game. Probably not used to playing so many games over the Christmas period. Not Dunne's concern though and in the last 15 minutes he more or less kept Liverpool out by himself as they laid siege to the City goal.

I see Dunne is linked with Liverpool in the Indo today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He was linked with them in the summer too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Needs to stay where he is, doing perfectly well, good role model for S.Ireland and they are a team on the up. Don't see any reason from an international fans point of view as to why he should leave.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast