Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Odd Managers You Rate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Odd Managers You Rate

Obviously we all rate the main players like Wenger, Ferguson, Capello etc. (although we may differ on how highly we do), but what of the bosses of clubs outside of the power teams?

Personally I've always like Chris Coleman. I thought he did a good job at Fulham, kept them at what is probably their natural level, and wasn't given enough resources to try and push on. The fact that Sanchez was given so much money last summer makes me think that Al Fayed only ever thought of Coleman as a stopgap manager, and so never backed him enough. Add to that the competant job he is doing under very, very difficult circumstances at Sociedad and my estimation just goes higher. Where he goes from here now is a big thing. I could see him eventually taking the Wales job, but would like to see how he would cope at a top Championship side

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I wouldn't call it odd but outside of the top class managers David Moyes is right up there. Everton are playing fantastic football at the moment and getting results in the process.

Gordan Strachan is doing a very good job at Celtic- not just in the SPL, Europe too- but I suppose he still hasn't really proved himself in the Premiership.

Steve Coppell is a fantastic manager and I can't believe he hasn't managed at a bigger club.

Aidy Boothroyd is the best young English manager and I think he is a future England manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Thomas Doll and Micheal Skibbe in Germany are two top managers , imo.

Doll worked wonders at HSV in 2006. I think over expectation hindered him the next season and that's why he was sacked but the fact that he's been given the job at a club the size of Dortmund indicates he has some reputation.

Michael Skibbe has improved Bayer Leverkusen since he took over there in 2006, iirc. I think he could be a top manager for them.

In France, I've always admired Elie Baup. Winning the title with Bordeaux was impressive but, for me, taking Toulouse to the Champions League was the biggest achievement.

In England, I would've said Allardyce until he got his chance at a big club with plenty of money to spend.

I agree that Aidy Boothroyd is another underrated manager. He got Watford promoted in his first season without huge financial backing and this season they appear to be well on their way to going back up if their home form improves.

Imo, the most underrated manager in the world was/is Guy Roux. Auxerre manager for 44 years from 1961-2005. Took them from the third division in France to the first. He spotted and signed many players that would go on to better things in his time such as Cantona, Blanc, Cissé and Mexés. Won the league with them in 1996 and won the cup 4 times in the nineties as well as playing in the Champions League again around 2001. Since 2005, Auxerre have slumped into a mid table team and it'll take another great to pick them up.
    Last edited by superfrank; 28/12/2007 at 3:31 PM.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is Boothroyd not a bit of a long ball merchant.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    John Hughes at Falkirk.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Dave Jones at Cardiff