Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Holland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Holland is not as bad as people make him out to be. Don't get me wrong, I think he is an honest pro and an average player but just because he doesn't beat 6 men and score a thirty yarder doesn't make him poor. And just because he can't pass a ball all the time like Keane (not many players can) doesn't make him poor either, it just doesn't make him vital to the cause.

He hasn't performed well for us over the last couple of years but over the years he has made a valuable contribution to the team and as was already pointed out, it's because of the contribution of players like himself that Ireland are riding high at the moment IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lads, it has nothing to do with Holland's limits or ability, he just doesn't seem to put in the work rate and I've heard the word anonymous mentioned about him 10 too many times. Have a look at this post I posted a while back:
    http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=162630&postcount=16

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just like The Jamaican PM, Robbie Keane and myself Mattie also has a cowslick to contend with. He tends to deal with it very well and for this reason I take great interest in monitoring Mattie's progress both off and on the pitch. As a player he has a remarkable record of games played with Ipswich, only missed one or two as far as I know. Now with an average Charlton side he is limited in certain aspects of his game but is always capable of having a pop outide the box.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    ...scored a stunning goal today against everton to claim 3points against a side looking for champions league football. maybe just reminded a few people of his ability, had a very good game overall as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Nobodys ever doubted his ability to shoot from range. It's the rest of his game people, definitely me anyway, doubt.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He scored a damn good goal in Goodison today that cost the blues a valuable three points.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillo
    He scored a damn good goal in Goodison today that cost the blues a valuable three points.
    One point Dillo, you only get one point for a 0-0 draw, which is how it would have ended up had good old Mattie not scored

Typical Evertonians, exaggerate everything.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    From Soccernet's Team of the Week Section:

'

Matty Holland ran the show for Charlton against Everton at Goodison. He even netted the winner, a fine volley from the edge of the area.

He's often unappreciated, an unsung hero if you will. I think he's a fine player. This is why: he's genuine and honest, a busy player who'll never disappear when the going gets tough, he has a good range of passing, plenty of experience and is an influential leader of men. Every team should have a Matty Holland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin77
    who'll never disappear when the going gets tough
    I think he's more than proven that is not true.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Holland is a very useful player to have in the squad but rightly doesn't make the starting XI when all are available. I thought his time had come and gone during the last campaign but I've changed my view.

I remember Radio 5 Live earlier this year describing Liam Miller as "neat & tidy, but no more" and it's tempting to say the same about Holland. Holland is much better able to look after himself though.

I think most people fail to realise that central midfield isn't all about flair or bone-crunching tackling. It's important to have someone with a cool head in this position. That said, he just doesn't seem to "add value" enough for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I've said it many times but the Matt Holland that played/plays for Ipswich/Charlton is not the Matt Holland that plays for Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I've said it many times but the Matt Holland that played/plays for Ipswich/Charlton is not the Matt Holland that plays for Ireland.
    He's playing with more average players at Charlton than he is with Ireland.
    It makes him look better.
    I would never say that he doesn't try hard for Ireland but there's a big step up to International level.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Holland is just average imo. He looked good alongside Keano, but then so did many other players. He would be behind Kav for the the second midfield slot in my reckoning.

jbyrne - most of those you list have been or are extremely average players.

And to those quoting the 12th place in the world - we've been better than the sum of our parts for many years, so I don't see why it's surprising that we have average players pushing for a starting place. It's a credit to the management (yes including Muppet Mick & Charlton whatever about their management techniques/tatics) that we've achieved so much in the last 20 or so years...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    ye i think its brilliant that we are able to even discuss the fact of leaving the captain of a mid table premiership club out of our starting 11 when for years we were desperate for players. now we can look and say one from carr/finnan, then healy/miller/holland/kavanagh/breen (3 of them captains) none of which are in the side but a few years ago would have walked in. also richard dunne, he isnt in the side yet is in great form. its all good stuff. add to that lee carsley/delap who couldnt get a look in

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    ye i think its brilliant that we are able to even discuss the fact of leaving the captain of a mid table premiership club out of our starting 11 when for years we were desperate for players. now we can look and say one from carr/finnan, then healy/miller/holland/kavanagh/breen (3 of them captains) none of which are in the side but a few years ago would have walked in. also richard dunne, he isnt in the side yet is in great form. its all good stuff. add to that lee carsley/delap who couldnt get a look in
    Great point. Nearly all of our preferred starting XI and a good few fringe players are regulars in Premier League teams starting XI’s.

Players that were getting picked in the past five years like Alan Kelly when he was on the bench for Blackburn, Gary Kelly when he was out of the side a Leeds, Gary Breen when out of West Ham side and when playing outside the top flight, Jason McAteer when out of Blackburn side, Mark Kinsella when not playing for Villa, David Connolly at Excelsior in Holland (on loan from Feyenoord), Dominic Foley struggling at Watford, Kennedy was playing outside top flight, Carsley struggling at Blackburn.

Now just about all of our starting XI are important to their Premier League team aside from O’Brien (who we could replace with one of Man City’s key players Richard Dunne) and maybe O’Shea (who admittedly is getting games against some decent competition) and Finnan (who seemed to be coming into favour with Benitez prior to injury).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    yep finnan has developed into a quality player...not as young as many people think tho, suprised me i think hes like 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    yep finnan has developed into a quality player...not as young as many people think tho, suprised me i think hes like 29
    He did ply his trade in the lower leagues for a while (even into non-league football at one stage) before Keegan brought him to Fulham, then won promotions to the 1st division and the premiership with them to gain international recognition

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I remember Radio 5 Live earlier this year describing Liam Miller as "neat & tidy, but no more" and it's tempting to say the same about Holland. Holland is much better able to look after himself though.
    To be honest I don't know how much better Holland is able to look after himself. Miller is light years ahead of Holland when it comes to use of the ball, granted he is a wimp, but I think a few games beside Roy could sort that out.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Just been checking on this football index
    http://www.actim.pa.press.net/top100.shtml
    and I noticed Matt Holland in it for the first time,
    (I think he just crept into it this week).

I also notice Roy Keane is on the up (highest level
    I can remember for him since I started following the index).

Duff also continues to rise, he is up to eighth now although
    I was surprised to see Robben drop down a bit (did he miss
    a game recently?) he is just one above Roy Keane at 32.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour
    Duff also continues to rise, he is up to eighth now although
    I was surprised to see Robben drop down a bit (did he miss
    a game recently?) he is just one above Roy Keane at 32.
    Robben done very little in the 3 league games before the Pompey game. Duff continues to rise because he does a lot defensively. He'll be ahead of Graveson this weekend too.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast