Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody on here ever written anything thats been published

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody on here ever written anything thats been published

I'm working on my first novel and was wondering if anyone had any experience of the publishing game that might have some advice, Its a gritty/seedy crime Thriller set in Dublin's underworld ,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Good luck with it.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Cheers frank,
    It's been on the boil for a couple of years now in various guises, the few chapters that I've actually got down bear no resemblence to what I envisioned at the start, the characters have kind of started writing themselves, as they've developed to the extent that I can ask myself what would he/she do in this situation, and I've the whole plot mapped out so it's just a case of getting it all down on paper/MSWord now. Hopefully going to start pimping it to publishers/Agents in the summer

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    not my experience, but a friends experience -

Get an agent. Get somebody who's familiar with publishing, publishers and publishing-related contracts. Do not try to do it all yourself.

She had an awful time trying to do everything herself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    not my experience, but a friends experience -

Get an agent. Get somebody who's familiar with publishing, publishers and publishing-related contracts. Do not try to do it all yourself.

She had an awful time trying to do everything herself.
    Cheers for that, Was kind of leaning towards an agent but was kind of worried that I'd be paying out an agent even if the book is crap and publishers won't touch it, confidence issue I guess. I believe that it will be a good book and will be worthy of publishing but I suppose that somewhere at the back of my mind I terrified that everyone else will think it's pant's
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 18/12/2007 at 3:48 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    One other thing she did was to join some writing circle and find out from them how the whole process works.
    Last edited by osarusan; 18/12/2007 at 4:37 PM. Reason: Block G edited his so mine looks silly now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    will it be along the lines of JGrisham kinda stuff?? I'll take a copy if it is!
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Good luck, and be sure to let us know if you get published BGR.

I thought about writing as a career, but I was put off by the financial prospects - making a living out of it is hard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Fair play to you for trying the novel, I'm doing my thesis at the moment and trying to keep all together is even a hard enough task, good luck.
    Who Cares?!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    I believe that it will be a good book and will be worthy of publishing but I suppose that somewhere at the back of my mind I terrified that everyone else will think it's pant's
    Get a few people to test read it first before you go to all that trouble and expense, but only people who you know will give an honest opinion good or bad. That will give you some indication whether a wider audience would like it.
    LTID

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    good luck with it. i am not trying to put you off, but it is really hard to get anything published first time. i recently wrote a novel there and sent it off myself to publishers and stuff. nobody was even vaguely interested in it. still i haven;t given up yet. i would certainly recommend an agent. as i said good luck with it.
    "....until Ray Houghton got the ball and stuck it in the net!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    715 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theleprechaun View Post
    good luck with it. i am not trying to put you off, but it is really hard to get anything published first time. i recently wrote a novel there and sent it off myself to publishers and stuff. nobody was even vaguely interested in it. still i haven;t given up yet. i would certainly recommend an agent. as i said good luck with it.
    Iain Banks had written three books before he was published. He's now one of the top writers in Scotland. I'm sure there are many such stories. Expect rejection.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    Get a few people to test read it first
    I'd have no problem being an honest proof reader Sir Raptor.

Dieu know what, maybe we should set up our own co-operative publishing company here! I've recently noted that we seem to have a ridiculously disproportionate amount of people who've toyed with journalism, poetry, and writing generally so there is definite literary interest here. I like the idea of writing aswell (ye may have noticed my penchant for tapping the keys!) but the dedication of writing a full whole book thingy would seem like a leviathan oeuvre, (thanks to Leviathan NI for that word!) way outside my humble powers. Maybe I'll move to Provence for a year and write about that.

On the publishing thing, I haven't really a clue about it but presumably the problem is getting the book on the shelf in the first place, as opposed to getting it off the shelf once there? All I'm wondering is whether Gary Raptor (good pseudonym) would be worth a €20 investment from everyone. Alternatively, a few of us could rustle our own works up, see which is best in a BOTM competition, and really go at this hell for leather.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanx for the encouragement, I'm trying to work a mention for foot.ie into the plot if adam's cool with that

Quote Originally Posted by EAFC_rdfl View Post
    will it be along the lines of JGrisham kinda stuff?? I'll take a copy if it is!
    I think of it more of a cross between Ian Rankin and Shaun Hutson
    Very Gritty and VERY! Graphic

Synopsis:A Dish Served Cold

Plot Summary

The body of a small time drug dealer is discovered, hands and feet bound, in a shallow river bed, in a working class Dublin suburb. When the autopsy report shows that the victim died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning from car exhaust fumes, Detective Garda John Higgins is convinced that the death is something more than just another Gangland slaying. When his investigation’s turn up the victims lurid past and questionable sexual preferences, Higgins is drawn deep into Dublin’s underworld of organized criminals and sexual predators. As the Investigation develops so does Higgins relationship with the State Pathologist Dr. Lucy Pender as it grows into something more than mutual professional Interest, the case of the body in the river seems to have hit a dead end until, tragedy strikes. Lucy is badly injured in an assassination attempt and his vow to find whoever is responsible leads him to re-visit many of the people and places from the murder investigation. Can the assassination attempt and the body in the river really be linked? and if so how? and why? John Higgins will risk his career, the relationship with the woman he’s grown to love, and eventually his life to find answers and to have his revenge.

**Note ** character names likely to change

Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    All I'm wondering is whether Gary Raptor (good pseudonym) would be worth a €20 investment from everyone. Alternatively, a few of us could rustle our own works up, see which is best in a BOTM competition, and really go at this hell for leather.
    was toying with the Idea of a pseudonym but think I'll just go with my own First Name, Middle Initial, Surname
    Last edited by Block G Raptor; 19/12/2007 at 8:51 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Published a book of my mother's writings. She used to be a feature writer in the Evening Press and after she died I got the articles together and published them in a book. So called "vanity" publishing and it was mostly for family and friends although Amazon picked up on the book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Telling-Summ.../dp/0953015513

Colour Books in Dublin did the publishing and we only printed about 500 copies (all gone) but I can't remember what it cost us (the family) but it was well worth it.

I know you want a publisher to pick up the tab for yours so it's a different story but good luck.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Block G Raptor, sounds like you have an interesting plot.Sometimes I think a lot of modern writers dont bother with strong plot devices to keep reader hooked.Best of luck with it.
    A few years back an english lady friend of mine was encouraging me to write and wanted to help me do it.I posted her some plot summaries which she felt were good ideas.My old foe procastination meant nothing concrete was done and she lost patience with me.She is a real doer and got down to the last six of the mann booker prize a couple of years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Block G Raptor View Post
    Thanx for the encouragement, I'm trying to work a mention for foot.ie into the plot if adam's cool with that

I think of it more of a cross between Ian Rankin and Shaun Hutson
    Very Gritty and VERY! Graphic

Synopsis:A Dish Served Cold

Plot Summary

The body of a small time drug dealer is discovered, hands and feet bound, in a shallow river bed, in a working class Dublin suburb. When the autopsy report shows that the victim died of Carbon Monoxide poisoning from car exhaust fumes, Detective Garda John Higgins is convinced that the death is something more than just another Gangland slaying. When his investigation’s turn up the victims lurid past and questionable sexual preferences, Higgins is drawn deep into Dublin’s underworld of organized criminals and sexual predators. As the Investigation develops so does Higgins relationship with the State Pathologist Dr. Lucy Pender as it grows into something more than mutual professional Interest, the case of the body in the river seems to have hit a dead end until, tragedy strikes. Lucy is badly injured in an assassination attempt and his vow to find whoever is responsible leads him to re-visit many of the people and places from the murder investigation. Can the assassination attempt and the body in the river really be linked? and if so how? and why? John Higgins will risk his career, the relationship with the woman he’s grown to love, and eventually his life to find answers and to have his revenge.

**Note ** character names likely to change

was toying with the Idea of a pseudonym but think I'll just go with my own First Name, Middle Initial, Surname
    Best of luck BGR....sounds intriguing!

p.s......was it the Butler?
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sligo Hornet View Post

p.s......was it the Butler?
    Damn was it that obvious

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Good luck with it Block. Keep us up to date on any progress - I'd be very interested to hear how the process works.

Who knows in five years time this could be made into a feature film starring Leo (in irish accent mode) and directed by Scorsese!!!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Dr Lucy Pinder?
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast