Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Sun windup. Alcove-pints-list.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Ray Houghton said they're interviewing 16 people.
    The Sun, a rag for 16 year olds, listed 4.
    I could list at least 10 people that i'm 95% sure they are gonna interview. (and big ron wouldn't be one of them)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry The Saint View Post
    may be stretching the truth a bit
    Well lets just say Im not reffering to Johnny McDonnell's record in the last 3 years
    We'll let the courts decide how cheap he is, thank you.
    cheap for the FAI, if not his previous employers
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Angry don givens

Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    good one, now tell the one about pat devlin
    If Don Givens is genuine then he should do the honourable thing and follow that other waster to wallsall!What has he done for the 21s ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    What is wrong with Hoddle?
    Nothing. He was good in his God eye's.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    peterborough were doing well in the league a couple of seasons ago....on course for a play-off spot, winning games....then big ron comes in to help the team.....with a few weeks, there out of contention for the play-offs, finish about 7th, and the manager walks.

lets hope its fake

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Houghton just said on Talksport radio that the are "no surprises" in the interviews, the "usual suspects" - not looking good for Hodgson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    Houghton just said on Talksport radio that the are "no surprises" in the interviews, the "usual suspects" - not looking good for Hodgson
    Why would he say something like that publicly???? Isn't he pretty much undermining the "job" that himself and the other 2 are doing by effectively implying that these guys would have been interviewed if this sham of a committee had been there or not??!!!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Why would he say something like that publicly???? Isn't he pretty much undermining the "job" that himself and the other 2 are doing by effectively implying that these guys would have been interviewed if this sham of a committee had been there or not??!!!
    Doc

the comment about Hodgson is mine, Alan Brazil had him on the end of a telephone to talk principally about Liverpool/Chelsea, it went something along the lines

AB - i know i cant ask you about specifics (about the Ireland job) but are there any surprises
    RH - No there are no surprises,...... usual suspects......right man for job..... more interviews over the next few days..... dont want somebody looking for a last hurragh...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Doc

the comment about Hodgson is mine, Alan Brazil had him on the end of a telephone to talk principally about Liverpool/Chelsea, it went something along the lines

AB - i know i cant ask you about specifics (about the Ireland job) but are there any surprises
    RH - No there are no surprises,...... usual suspects......right man for job..... more interviews over the next few days..... dont want somebody looking for a last hurragh...
    i dont see how that ruled hodgson out. he'd hardly be a surprise selection to interview.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hodgson is by far and away the best candidate for the Job.

Ray Houghton is so negative its unbelievable. On the premiership he is very difficult to listen to. You would think he would be happy after an excellent career.

If Veneables has gotten te job already that is a disgrace and I will not be going to Croke Park / Lansdowne road as long as he is in charge
    Homer did it ever occur to you to let go of the Candy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Doc

yeah i know that he didn't mention Hodgson but the fact that he would talk about (and I presume that this is a quote) "the usual suspects" baffles and disappoints me....just sounds like they're not even going to try and think outside the box which, in turn, makes their appointment pointless....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

From today's Examiner

19 December 2007

Venables grows frustrated with Irish boss hunt

By Liam Mackey

DESPITE being placed on a shortlist by the Bulgarian FA, Terry Venables remains the favourite to land the Irish manager’s job. But only just, as ‘El Tel’ is left to cool his heels — and perhaps his interest.

Undoubtedly keen to take up the role, Venables is said to be increasingly frustrated at the pace of the recruitment process and although initial contact has now been made by the FAI headhunters, the extended time-frame involved has allowed the former England boss to consider other options.

But although he has been named on a seven-man managerial shortlist by Ireland’s World Cup opponents Bulgaria, he is not expected to put himself in the frame for that post.

Meanwhile, an FAI source has firmly ruled out the possibility of Ron Atkinson becoming the next Irish manager.

Atkinson, along with Venables, Glenn Hoddle and Gerard Houllier, were named in a report yesterday as being the figures on the Association’s shortlist for the job. But while the former Aston Villa boss — who lost his job as a tv pundit after a racist remark can be eliminated and while Houllier has long been mooted as a contender, Hoddle’s name is one which has hitherto slipped below the radar.

Hoodle managed England before being removed after he made comments about reincarnation and the disabled. He has been away from an active involvement in the game since resigning as Wolves boss last year.

Meanwhile despite clashing in their interpretations of FIFA’s latest ruling on the eligibility issue, the FAI and the IFA are planning to meet next month to discuss what they describe as matters of ‘mutual interest’. What has become known as ‘the Darron Gibson affair’ is expected to be discussed.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    The FAI have come out with a statement claiming the list is "Pure Speculation". Not a very stong denial. Surely Hoddle with his physic powers would already know whether he has got the job. Personally I will be on the look out for blokes with Black capes and shimmering Gypsy women placing unusual amounts of dosh on the Spurs legend getting the job.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 19/12/2007 at 10:43 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Hodgson is a usual suspect.

Venables is definitely looking for a last hurrah. You could argue that Hodgson is too though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Meanwhile, an FAI source has firmly ruled out the possibility of Ron Atkinson becoming the next Irish manager.

Atkinson, along with Venables, Glenn Hoddle and Gerard Houllier, were named in a report yesterday as being the figures on the Association’s shortlist for the job. But while the former Aston Villa boss — who lost his job as a tv pundit after a racist remark can be eliminated and while Houllier has long been mooted as a contender, Hoddle’s name is one which has hitherto slipped below the radar.

Hoodle managed England before being removed after he made comments about reincarnation and the disabled. He has been away from an active involvement in the game since resigning as Wolves boss last year.
    Thank God for that, having Atkinson in charge would possibly have been worse than Venables.
    As for Hoddle, Mick McCarthy is doing better with Wolves, with an arguably worse squad, and less money to spend, then Hoddle ever did at Molineux
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

And I thought it was the interview/selection panel who had the prerogative of ruling in or ruling out possibilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post

And I thought it was the interview/selection panel who had the prerogative of ruling in or ruling out possibilities.
    The selection panel works for the FAI, therefore they are the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think we can pretty much all agree here that Hodgson is the best candidate. But i hazard a guess that its becuase we all have a good knowledge of European football. Im fairly sure the 2 Dons and Ray on the committee would look more favouably on someone that was a failure with say Spurs or Leeds in England, than a manager that was a success with Finland and FC Copenhagen. im sure the committee will be blinkered that football in England is the be all and end all.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    But i hazard a guess that its becuase we all have a good knowledge of European football. Im fairly sure the 2 Dons and Ray on the committee would look more favouably on someone that was a failure with say Spurs or Leeds in England, than a manager that was a success with Finland and FC Copenhagen. im sure the committee will be blinkered that football in England is the be all and end all.
    I don't agree with this.

Givens, Howe, and Houghton, while maybe not regarded as experts in the football world, are former players/managers who have spent a large part of their lives deeply involved with football at a high level, and all have had exposure to football at European and international level.

How you can say that we (the fans) have a better knowledge of European football is beyond me.

Are you basing this solely on the fact that Hodgson hasn't been contacted?

Admittedly, it is maddening, and a huge oversight, that he hasn't been contacted, but not grounds for the claims you're making.
    Last edited by osarusan; 19/12/2007 at 2:34 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast