Thread: Interview Short List

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    lads its the sun for **** sake.
    Yes.

But aren't you doubtful. It is the FAI after all. Do you honestly believe Delaney when he says he wouldn't have any involvement in the selection of the new manager?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,003 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Venables has already been appointed.

This selection committee lark is just a charade.
    The selection committee is just an elaborate charade to attempt to hide the process that lead to Stan's appointment involvement in the appointment of the new manager ie Venables.
    For this to be the case, Howe, Givens and Houghton would have to be in on it, and as professional men with reputations to uphold, I don't think they would agree to be party to such a plan.

Unless you think they are stupid enough, and Delaney is smart enough, to manipulate them into hiring Venables and make all three of them think it was their idea.

I can't see him being that smart, or them that stupid.
    Last edited by osarusan; 18/12/2007 at 9:42 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Delaney, in that case, you (IFK) think is acting as a Svengali. You led me astray with the charade analogies. I get you now alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Far too much rubbish coming out from the media on this. Just shut the **** up and lad the 3 lads get on with the job of interviewing people. To be fair so far the FAI have done what they said they would do. Now I am not over the moon by the 3 guys they got but at elast they are football people with integrity.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Far too much rubbish coming out from the media on this.
    I won't be hiring you as my editor of Hoop Times!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    What is wrong with Hoddle?
    Lokk at Wolves' results under Hoddle. Compare them with McCarthy's results with a much smaller budget.

Mick McCarthy is a better manager then Hoddle. For that reason alone he shouldn't be let near the job.

As for Big Ron....

That memo can't be real. Delaney is just playing 'Smokes and Daggers' (to quote Bertie) to cover up the fact that the Venables appointment is a done deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    For this to be the case, Howe, Givens and Houghton would have to be in on it, and as professional men with reputations to uphold, I don't think they would agree to be party to such a plan.

Unless you think they are stupid enough, and Delaney is smart enough, to manipulate them into hiring Venables and make the three of them all think it was their idea.

I can't see him being that smart, or them that stupid.
    Put it like this.

Delaney has stated that he and the FAI will have no involvement in the selection of the new manager. Fair enough. However if this transpires as not being the case, is the credibility and objectivity of the selection committee not compromised?

And where does this selection committee come from? It was born in the ashes of the FAI's failed appointment of Stan to dissolve FAI responsibility in the next appointment. But this is amazing. Whatever way the FAI wish to twist it, the national senior side is the FAI. It's their most important product, it's their most important revenue stream. What other company/organisation/association would outsource such a critical decision that will have direct impact on their most important product/income stream? Surely the CEO most be involved in important decisions like this? If not how does he justify his paycheck?

I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity. I'm questioning the FAI's supposed non-involvement? There's just too much that doesn't add up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart.
    good one, now tell the one about pat devlin
    Your Chairperson,
    Gavin
    Membership Advisory Board
    "Ex Bardus , Vicis"

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,003 Posts
    Venables has already been appointed.

This selection committee lark is just a charade.
    TThe selection committee is just an elaborate charade
    How do you reconcile these two posts with your next one?

I think Don Givens is genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity.

I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, but I don't think your argument holds water.

The FAI said they wouldn't be involved, yet they're appointing the selection committee - you see that as involvement. So do I, but if not the FAI, who is going to hire the committee? If you feel that Givens is "genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity." the surely you should be happy with the FAI for hiring such a person, not criticising their involvement.

If you feel that a selection committee is a good idea, and you feel that the members of that comittee are the right men for the job (and I'm not saying you feel that, or have said it), then the FAI have done their job well, as long as the committee are clear on what they have to to, and are given the resources to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    good one, now tell the one about pat devlin
    Now, now. Pat Devlin is a whole different kettle of fish.

Everyone has their opinion of Don Givens but he does make decisions based on what he thinks are best for Irish football. Whether these all decisions are correct or not are easily debatable in retrospect. (There're plenty of decisions that I haven't necessarily agreed with.) But he is employed to make decisions and whilst employed in the position he is, he is entitled to make those decisions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You could say the same about anybody that is crap at their job or even good at it. One could say the same about John Delaney.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    I'm not trying to have a go at you or anything, but I don't think your argument holds water.
    I saying that the selection committee is a farce. I've asked multiple unanswered questions in this thread surrounding the charade that is the selection committee. The credibility and transparency of the committee is already questionable as whilst the FAI proclaim non-involvement, it's impossible for them not to be involved.

The FAI said they wouldn't be involved, yet they're appointing the selection committee - you see that as involvement. So do I, but if not the FAI, who is going to hire the committee? If you feel that Givens is "genuine and has the best interest of Irish football at heart. I'm not going to question his integrity." the surely you should be happy with the FAI for hiring such a person, not criticising their involvement.
    I've the best interests of Irish football at heart - doesn't necessarily mean I should be on the selection committee. If the FAI is not involved in the selection of the new manager then why is a current FAI employee on the panel? And don't forget that it's a 3 man committee and majority rules or does it? who knows - I bet you Delaney does the answer.

If you feel that a selection committee is a good idea, and you feel that the members of that comittee are the right men for the job (and I'm not saying you feel that, or have said it), then the FAI have done their job well, as long as the committee are clear on what they have to to, and are given the resources to do it.
    But there're outsourcing their most important business decision. Delaney earns more that Bertie Ahern. Why, if he is outsourcing the most important decision? Or is he??? I've said my piece - everyone can draw their own conclusions.
    Last edited by ifk101; 18/12/2007 at 10:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    See the way I see it, is that if the FAI were to appoint the manager like they did the last time and Delaney and 2 others in the committe were given the job there would be lots of people including myself and many other who would say, what qualifications does Delaney have to pick the football manager. He is not a footballing man, he is a business man or an accountant and that is where his talents lie. Therefore I would rather that footballing people are making the decision. I would have liked Giles or Brady or someone like that on the panel but I understand why they did not want to be on the panel.

I think in this case the FAI are damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I've no idea what's going on and doubt very much the accuracy of the shortlist, but that list is almost too funny to be true.

Hoddle was a good England manager, one of their better ones actually, but is such an arrogant twit there's no way he'd make an impact on our players.

To suggest Atkinson is credible is beyond a joke.

Houllier & Venables are both credible, as are about half a dozen names not mentioned.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What about Benitez ? Did he not get the dreaded "vote of confidence", which means he should be available shortly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    should you not be gunning for chippy
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

Hoddle was a good England manager, one of their better ones actually, but is such an arrogant twit there's no way he'd make an impact on our players.

To suggest Atkinson is credible is beyond a joke.
    I agree yet Atkinsons last major trophy came 3 years after El Tell's. Neither is credible to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    733 Posts
    lads its the sun for **** sake.
    ^^ Most sensible post in this thread. ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Troussier is going to Japan so that is one name not on the 12/14.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinZac View Post
    We should appoint someone with decades of experience, who has managed in England and in Ireland, someone who's actually won something, who knows how to get a bunch of lads playing as well as they can, and maybe, just maybe, play good football at the same time. If he knew some of the international panel, perhaps even managed them, that'd be great. Experience in Europe would be ideal, I mean someone who can go to places like Cyprus and get the results we want. Ideally he'd be quite eloquent so as to placate the press and, more importantly though quite an ask, he'd be free and cheap.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Don't worry Gavin, I got it even if no one else did.

Although

someone who's actually won something
    may be stretching the truth a bit

more importantly though quite an ask, he'd be free and cheap.
    We'll let the courts decide how cheap he is, thank you.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast