Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FIFA World Player of the Year Shortlist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

Fifa 55

Usual horse **** from FIFA, throwing brand names onto their best of list, look at some of this shower

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy/ Juventus), Iker Casillas (Spain/ Real Madrid), Petr Cech (Czech Republic/ Chelsea), Nelson de Jesus Silva ‘Dida’ (Brazil/ AC Milan), Edwin van der Sar (Holland/ Manchester United)

Defenders: Éric Abidal (France/ Olympique Lyon), Daniel Alves (Brazil/ Sevilla), Roberto Ayala (Argentina/ Valencia), Fabio Cannavaro (Italy/ Real Madrid), Roberto Carlos da Silva (Brazil/ Real Madrid), Jamie Carragher (England/ Liverpool), Ricardo Carvalho (Portugal/ Chelsea), Cristian Chivu (Romania/ AS Roma), Ashley Cole (England/ Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (England/ Manchester United), Philipp Lahm (Germany/ Bayern Munich), Ferreira Lucio (Brazil/Bayern Munich), Paolo Maldini (Italy/ AC Milan), Marco Materazzi (Italy/ Inter), Alessandro Nesta (Italy/ AC Milan), Carles Puyol (Spain/ Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Spain/ Real Madrid), John Terry (England/ Chelsea), Nemanja Vidic (Serbia/ Manchester United), Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy/ Juventus).

Midfielders: David Beckham (England/ Real Madrid), Anderson Deco (Portugal/ Barcelona), Mickaël Essien (Ghana/ Chelsea), Gennaro Gattuso (Italy/ AC Milan), Steven Gerrard (England/ Liverpool), Andrès Iniesta (Spain/ Barcelona), Ricardo Kaká (Brazil/ AC Milan), Frank Lampard (England/ Chelsea), Claude Makélélé (France/ Chelsea), Andrea Pirlo (Italy/ AC Milan), Juan Roman Riquelme (Argentina/ Villareal/Boca Juniors), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/ Manchester United), Paul Scholes (England/ Manchester United), Clarence Seedorf (Holland/ AC Milan), Xavi (Spain/ Barcelona).

Forwards
    : Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria/ Tottenham Hotspur), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast/ Chelsea), Samuel Eto’o (Cameroon/ Barcelona), Thierry Henry (France/ Arsenal), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden/ Inter), Filippo Inzaghi (Italy/ AC Milan), Lionel Messi (Argentina/ Barcelona), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland/ Real Madrid), Ronaldinho (Brazil/ Barcelona), Ronaldo (Brazil/ Real Madrid/ AC Milan), Wayne Rooney (England/ Manchester United), Carlos Tévez (Argentina/ West Ham United), Luca Toni (Italy/ Fiorentina), Francesco Totti (Italy/ AS Roma), David Villa (Spain/ Valencia).

I mean what the hell has Brazilian Ronaldo, Rooney, Makelele, Lampard, Iniesta, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Roberto Carlos, and Tevez done individually last season that has made them stand out as being among the top 55 players in the world? And where the hell is Cesc Fabregas?? And Buffon may be one of the best keepers around, but last season he was playing Serie B football ffs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    ill agree with all them players bar Ronaldo.... the fella is one of the best players in the world!. good in the air, great feet, good shot accuracy, 2 footed, lighting speed... has definitly emerged as one of the best. United wouldnt be half the team without him!!

also Shay Given is a better goalkeeper then Van Der Sar in englan alone along with Brad Friedal but i suppose its more to do with it been an ''International football power-houses selection'' then anything else....

ill even say it as a man utd fan..... Wayne Rooney??.... the fella is the most over-rated player in the world by a country mile, because of ONE small fact.....

Nationality:ENGLISH

can you imagine he choose us from an early age?.. there wouldnt have been a £20 Million+ price tag when he moved frm Everton and there wouldnt be Nike tv commercials with him in them either!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ill even say it as a man utd fan..... Wayne Rooney??.... the fella is the most over-rated player in the world by a country mile, because of ONE small fact.....

First of all its the Brazilian Ronaldo that the lad is talking about not Christiano. You obviously dont watch too many Man u matches because the fella has to have one of the best football brains in the world- his passing is unbelievable and you dont become a massive player at Man u if your not good enough to play for them. Also a fantastic display against Milan at home in the quarter finals of the Champions league against one of the best teams in the world counts for nothing????.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    Usual horse **** from FIFA, throwing brand names onto their best of list, look at some of this shower

I mean what the hell has Brazilian Ronaldo, Rooney, Makelele, Lampard, Iniesta, Beckham, Cole, Ferdinand, Roberto Carlos, and Tevez done individually last season that has made them stand out as being among the top 55 players in the world? And where the hell is Cesc Fabregas?? And Buffon may be one of the best keepers around, but last season he was playing Serie B football ffs
    It depends on whether the list is of the best 55 players playing today or the best 55 players on form

Either way Fabregas should be in it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    It depends on whether the list is of the best 55 players playing today or the best 55 players on form
    Its meant to be on form, which is why I ask why Wayne Rooney, who can't cut it on the international stage, who coasts through the title winning season, all too randomly turning in a good performance, and who was absent in all but two games in Europe for United last season was included?

Furthermore where is Ryan Giggs? He was a much more consistent performer for United than Ferdinand, Rooney and Van Der Sar? Plus wasn't last season the season that Thierry Henry missed most of due to injury? I'm just surprised they didn't throw Zidane in for a bit more star quality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Its meant to be on form, which is why I ask why Wayne Rooney, who can't cut it on the international stage, who coasts through the title winning season, all too randomly turning in a good performance, and who was absent in all but two games in Europe for United last season was included?

Furthermore where is Ryan Giggs? He was a much more consistent performer for United than Ferdinand, Rooney and Van Der Sar? Plus wasn't last season the season that Thierry Henry missed most of due to injury? I'm just surprised they didn't throw Zidane in for a bit more star quality

It's presumably given a lot of importance to Champions League games where in the knockouts last season he done quite well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    It's a disgrace.... where's Raul? He's a big name AND he plays for a big club. How could he be omitted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    It's presumably given a lot of importance to Champions League games where in the knockouts last season he done quite well
    I wouldn't say he did quite well in the knockouts. I remember him being the main United player in one match against AC Milan, but thats about it. Plus if they do give importance to the Champions League than how does Tevez get in? He's only there because he signed for Man Utd in my opinion, no other reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wouldn't say he did quite well in the knockouts. I remember him being the main United player in one match against AC Milan, but thats about it. Plus if they do give importance to the Champions League than how does Tevez get in? He's only there because he signed for Man Utd in my opinion, no other reason
    Tevez was unbelievable for West ham towards the end of the year. Most Hammers fans would tell you he kept them up single-handedly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanman2 View Post
    Tevez was unbelievable for West ham towards the end of the year. Most Hammers fans would tell you he kept them up single-handedly.
    Most football fans would tell you it was the FA though, but regardless, playing well enough so your mid table team scraps themselves out of relegation isn't cause for Top 55 players in my eyes, a lot of the time last year he looked mediocre as well, only starting to play very well in the last third of the season

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Jebus, Ferdinand is the best centre back in the Premiership- that might have something to do with him being on the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most football fans would tell you it was the FA though, but regardless, playing well enough so your mid table team scraps themselves out of relegation isn't cause for Top 55 players in my eyes, a lot of the time last year he looked mediocre as well, only starting to play very well in the last third of the season
    Ill grant you that but when he was good he was spectacular and his work rate was exceptional. I think its hard to find 55 top players because lets be honest there aint that many top players out there anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Jebus, Ferdinand is the best centre back in the Premiership- that might have something to do with him being on the list.
    Well he's certainly among the top half dozen in Manchester

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    You are joking right? I know football is a matter of opinion and all but do you seriously think Ferdinand is a better centre back than even Vidic? Thats not even mentioning Carvalho, Terry, Gallas, Toure, and Carragher, who are certainly better than him, and Richards, King, Dawson, and Agger, who many people would take ahead of Rio (I know I would).

All that clown is interested in is getting himself in the papers the next day after United score the winner. Watch the amount of times United score and 4 or 5 of them run to the sideline to congratulate the scorer. Ferdinand always jumps on the scorers back and you can actually see him looking for the best camera to look intense into. Absolute joke of a footballer, who even the British tabloids have now stopped praising and started saying he wasted the promise he showed at West Ham, which should say it all really. I'm sure Fergie has kept him around for so long because of the price he paid for the guy, because it certainly isn't for his match winning capabilities

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shanman2 View Post

First of all its the Brazilian Ronaldo that the lad is talking about not Christiano. You obviously dont watch too many Man u matches because the fella has to have one of the best football brains in the world- his passing is unbelievable and you dont become a massive player at Man u if your not good enough to play for them. Also a fantastic display against Milan at home in the quarter finals of the Champions league against one of the best teams in the world counts for nothing????.
    you obviously didnt read my message properly either, go back and read it again and you'll see me praising Cristiano although you seem to think ive done the opposite!

i agreed with all jebus's selections to be ommited bar who i taught was C.Ronaldo, rather then say
    Cristiano is the only one i would take out of the 55, i should have made that clearer!!.... i just missed the BRAZILIAN word before Ronaldo and presumed it was Cristiano he was speaking against
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 27/09/2007 at 2:28 PM.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Ferdinand is easily the most over rated defender ever

The guy is craap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think for years he was overated but now the backlash has been so much I think he might now be underated.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    It's a bit like the way players get called into Irish international squads as soon as they leave an EL club for England or Scotland. How long was Berbatov knocking in goals in the Bundesliga nd Europe for Leverkusen, but I'm sure he was never even considered. Likewise, when Diego leaves Bremen fo Madrid or Barcelona, he be on the list before the ink on his contract is dry.

Pure laziness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    If Dida is better than Given I'm going to take up goalkeeping. If flapping at crosses and throwing them in is what top italian sides are after, I'm due my Seria A medal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    If Dida is better than Given I'm going to take up goalkeeping. If flapping at crosses and throwing them in is what top italian sides are after, I'm due my Seria A medal
    Dida is a class goalkeeper one of the best in Serie A

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast