Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: In November's US election I'd vote for...

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • John McCain

4 6.35%
  • Barack Obama

50 79.37%
  • One of the other loonies

9 14.29%
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: US Presidential Elections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Thought Obama shaded it. Foreign policy is supposed to be McCains strong suit. Didn't happen and was factually incorrect on a lot of stuff.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Watched part of the debate earlier, McCain didn't come off very well, and was corrected by Obama far more than he corrected Obama.
    It was strange to hear Ireland's corperate tax being a point made in a US presidedtial debate. I am not sure the reference would have been welcomed in Dublin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Watched the debate live last night and picked out a couple of things along some others that I was talking to online about it whilst it was ongoing.(NERDS!) Also was looking at the CNN voter response throughout and I'll include what that was showing for those who missed it

- McCain's strategy was to try and focus the debate on Obama's mistakes, typical answer to what tax cuts he would provide as President was to make reference to a bill Obama supported that caused tax waste (he was lying about a lot of it though). This didn't go down well with independents or Democrats using the CNN approval tracker, and he Republicans weren't overly happy with the points he was making

- On Iraq and Afghanistan Obama absolutely killed McCain. McCain had bracelet stories for Christs' sake, where as Obama set out his plan for a timetabled withdrawl from Iraq to focus on the Taliban once again. Obama pointing out that McCain had said in 2003 that the Afghan campaign would be quick and easy, that McCain had said the Iraqis would greet America with open arms, that McCain had made threatening noises about North Korea and Iran, and that McCain had alluded to not talking to the Spanish PM unless he was onside with America scored the highest ratings of the night across the board, even Republicans thought he was doing very well here. Best quote of the night came from Obama after McCain started talking about the 2007 surge yet again, 'The way you talk sometimes John it's like you think the war started in 2007, it didn't'

- McCain refused to look at Obama throughout the debate, not once was he caught on camera doing so. Myself and the other lot that were posting about were divided as to whether it was a sign of disrespect to Obama (some said he may as well start calling him 'Boy' with the attitude he's showing) or to whether he couldn't look at him as he wasn't given a straight answer. Personally I think it wa sthe latter. McCain always came across as being an honest enough politician before he got this nomination, and I honestly believe the Karl Rove tactics his campaign have employed doesn't sit right with him. He's doing it, but he doesn't like doing it.

Overall the debate strengthened Obama's grip on this election. In the last few weeks the McCain campaign have made blunder after blunder and couldn't capitalise on what was Obama's weakest moment (he had a bad August, let's face it). If Joe Biden does what I think he's gonna do to that idiot Palin next Thursday then the election could be all but sealed. I expect McCain's campaign to really step up the dirty tricks in October though, more of saying Obama's a muslim, probably try and rake something up on Joe Biden and they'll look to use the Rev Wright thing again

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMorgan View Post
    It was strange to hear Ireland's corperate tax being a point made in a US presidedtial debate. I am not sure the reference would have been welcomed in Dublin.
    Details please. Who made the comment and in what context?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Details please. Who made the comment and in what context?
    McCain mentioned our 11% corporate tax rate as a reason why he was preparing to give US buisnesses tax breaks up to 300 billion dollars. He said they need to lower tax rates for companies so they don't look elsewhere, what he didn't say was that he wasn't lowering the corporate tax to a level that would compete with Ireland, Poland, India, wherever, he was just giving the wealthy a bit of extra pockey money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    McCain's strategy was to try and focus the debate on Obama's mistakes
    Yeah, he also went for the 'inexperienced' thing too, by the embarassingly over used use of the words "Senator Obama doesn't understand".
    On Iraq and Afghanistan Obama absolutely killed McCain.
    Wouldn't say he 'killed' him to be honest, but certainly showed that he could more then hold his own against a McCain that was, at every opportunity, doing as much name dropping as possible to emphasise how long he's been around.
    McCain refused to look at Obama throughout the debate, not once was he caught on camera doing so.
    Did you notice that when the came on to stage, McCains face as they were shaking hands and turning to go to their podiums? I swear, I'm no mind reader, but I gaurantee you McCain was thinking "Yeah, fcuk you Obama". The look of disdain, IMO, was really obvious. But as you alluded to, his campaign managers have probabaly instilled that in him.
    Overall the debate strengthened Obama's grip on this election. In the last few weeks the McCain campaign have made blunder after blunder and couldn't capitalise on what was Obama's weakest moment (he had a bad August, let's face it). If Joe Biden does what I think he's gonna do to that idiot Palin next Thursday then the election could be all but sealed. I expect McCain's campaign to really step up the dirty tricks in October though, more of saying Obama's a muslim, probably try and rake something up on Joe Biden and they'll look to use the Rev Wright thing again
    I agree, it was one of the first nails in McCains coffin. I think it was closer than you, but it was McCain that needed a decisive outcome not Obama. Obama just had to stay the course - and he done that with some to spare I feel. The next debate will probably be entirely centered around the economy and Obama should win that one at a canter. Now, the VP Debate may actually not be as straight forward as it looks. Biden really has to walk a tightrope on this one....lets face it Biden, as he's proved over the last couple of weeks, is MORE than capable of making serious gaffs. He has to make it out that he's not INTENTIONALLY trying to make Palin look dense (and thats going to be VERY hard to do) because if he does she can pickup sympathy support, and more female support as Biden also has to avoid saying something that even sounds remotely condescending as that would be construed as sexist.

Still expecting some sort of October Surprise, but that might be the pessimist in me. Don't see Wright being raised in any substantive way again - it really has been done to death, people for the most part don't give a **** any more. Was funny actually, CNN got emails complaining about the amount of stories being carried about Palin and how unfair it was. At the end of the segment the anchor said: "Reports about Palin since her unveiling? 26. Stories about Obama and the Rev Wright affair ALONE? 54"...kinda thought fair play to that anchor.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Very poor "debate" overall but they seem to be always like that. Moderator did nothing but I suppose he has to make sure does not favour either candidate.

McCain was the more attack minded & I think overall he probably won but National defence is his strength anyway. The economy will be the most important topic as the campaign progresses & Obama will have plenty of opportunities to attack McCain.

I was interesting to try watch putting myself in Americans shoes as some of those voters look the "America is great" line that McCain added.

It was very poor that neither candidate could name spending plans that he would have to drop due to massive financial system bail out despite probing by the Moderator. You can watch debate on RTE & BBC websites.

Do the VP candidates have debates? Don't think it would matter for votes but might be more entertaining as they would be allowed off the leash a bit more.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Do the VP candidates have debates?
    Thursday @ 9 (US eastern time)

Don't see how you thought McCain won though
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Missed it, and the repeat, is it on anywhere else this evening?

I don't think I could watch a VP debate without figuring out how to vomit and cry at the same time.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Missed it, and the repeat, is it on anywhere else this evening?
    adam
    You can watch the whole thing here.
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Thanks si, anywhere on telly though?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Thanks si, anywhere on telly though?
    Couldn't find anything.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Don't see how you thought McCain won though
    Trying to see from US viewpoint bearing in mind they elected Bush. They love the America is great & don't talk to terrorists lines.

Not sure if Obama would be good for the Irish economy as seems he would closr the tax loopholes of multinationals availing of our low corporation taxes.

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts

Say what?????

Faux News perspective...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish View Post
    Faux News perspective...
    Thanks strangeirish, I guess Fox news have their work cut in Pennsylvannia, Ohio and Florida again?
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Big lead for Obama in latest opinion polls. Economic situation is probably benefiting him & that isn't going away anytime soon.

All the national polls favor Obama as follows: Diageo (Obama +6), Gallup (Obama +6), Rasmussen (Obama +6), Research 2000 (Obama +10), and Washington Post (Obama +4). The mean is an Obama lead of 6.4%. A win of 6% in the popular vote will translate into winning all the swing states and an electoral college landslide

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Big lead for Obama in latest opinion polls. Economic situation is probably benefiting him & that isn't going away anytime soon.
    No doubt the current economic climate is helping Obama, but I also believe McCains choice of running mate is also helping Obama. The VP debate is Thursday, so it will be interesting to see how Palin handles herself. Biden has to be careful himself, not to come across as too condecending.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    SNL take on Couric Palin interview

"Bono, King of Ireland"

In VP debate I lost track of the number of times Palin just ignored the question & read her prepared script. If asked anything about say Health she was always going to read out same answer verbatim.

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Palin is a Dope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts