Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: More Politics (FAO: Conor)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

More Politics (FAO: Conor)

Just wondering whether you were going to attempt a defence of the ludricous nanny state activities of the McDowell/ Martin Axis of Evil.....

1) The Irish aren't grown up to decide for themselves when they want a drink.

2) Legislate for the vast minority, rather than for the majority

3) Bring in subjective judgements about when someone is drunk

4) National ID cards by the back door

5) Give out about the lack of competition in the drinks market, and then effectively rule out price competition

6) Add to inflationary pressure (happy hours etc)

7) Ban certain types of drinks, when the base product is available in pubs/clubs anyway

Mind you, the cynic in me thinks this is all bullsh!t talk to make room for extra indirect taxes on drink come budget time...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts

Re: More Politics (FAO: Conor)

Originally posted by Macy
    The Irish aren't grown up to decide for themselves when they want a drink.
    Not taking any sides on this (not hugely politically inclined), but why are you dismissing the above out of hand? I'd say a lot of Irish people, especially the 17-23 age group, aren't grown up enough to make proper decisions about alcohol - that's why it's causing so much trouble. Unfortunately, whenever the Government propses legislation to counter people's faults, they end up getting slated, basically because no-one likes being called an immature idiot to their face.

Surely one of the main aims of Government is to try and improve society? If this means telling people what they can't accept, so be it. Something has to be done about the alcohol culture in Ireland, and some of the suggested proposals are interesting to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd rather not get too involved in this debate to be honest but I do want to just make one tiny observation...
    If the Government are trying to impose their will on people with regard to alcohol and I think that is, in essence, what they are trying to do then it is not going to work.
    I think that when people are told they can't do something, then they automatically want to do it. Just look at Good Friday. Holy Thursday is now the busiest day of the year for off-licences. Even though the pubs are shut, people still feel the need to drink, in fact they feel almost compelled to drink because they don't like others deciding when they are allowed to drink. Maybe if people weren't told, you have to be out of a pub at 12.30, they wouldn't go up and order 2 or 3 pints at 12.25 and knock them back as quick as possible.
    Champions!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

cant see it going through

Seeing as a good few TD's etc either own, or have vested
    interests, in pubs I cant see this bill being passed.

Feckin daft bill anyways. Could end up making bribery more
    rampant in the licensed premises trade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surely the big problem in this country is the culture and attitude of our people ?
    I lived in France for a while, and the average Frenchman could make an alcoholic drink out of a concrete block. Alcohol is everywhere and deeply ingrained into their culture. Yet they have a completey different attitude to the act of drinking.
    Very few French (or Italian etc etc) people go out to get "locked".
    We don't enjoy drinking, we simply see it as a process to become a different person who has lost their inhibitions.
    If there was some way of changing that attitude, and of course getting people to see their are alternative ways of spending an evening, we might get somewhere then.
    Of course, in your average Irish town, there is normally absolutely nothing else to do at night except go to the pub. Alternative sources of entertainment, education from primary school about all drugs, and more sports facilities wouldstart to make an impression on children which would eventually become apparent in society as they got older.

Alcohol is not really a political issue, but it would probably help if the Taioseach and some TD's were not so openly associated with the licensed trade.