Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Russian elections

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Anyone else think a poster called OneRedArmy harking back to the days of communist reign in the USSR is hillarious?
    Thanks Comrade Dodge.

Where did I leave my hammer and sickle......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    I would hope/expect there's a minimum threshold of attendance to not automatically be disqualified form the Duma, as there is for most parliaments, councils, assemblies etc.
    If your party doesn't get 5% of the national vote, you're out. Several of the major opposition groups are fragmented, and lose out on any seats because of this.

Some of the stories coming out of Russia are distinctly creepy - voter intimidation and votes being bought. How anyone can compare that with England's crap partitioning is beyond me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's hard to believe any political story coming out of Russia, or Belarus for that matter. Both countries are hardline dictatorships, the only stories we see here, are ones deemed ok to broadcast. The only opposition rallies we see are ones where the police step in to intervene. Imagewise, things seem to be grand, but behind the scenes, I'm sure there are still deep-rooted social and economic problems, while opponents are "jailed", or worse assassinated. Things aren't as rosy as they seem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    If your party doesn't get 5% of the national vote, you're out. Several of the major opposition groups are fragmented, and lose out on any seats because of this.
    Threashold of attendance - e.g. turn up to Parliament once every 6 months, for example, or you're automatically deemed to have vacated your seat.

I wasn't refering to a minimum threshold of votes to qualify for a Duma seat in the first place. If you don't get 5% of the national vote, you're not out - as you're not in in the first place.....
    Last edited by dcfcsteve; 09/12/2007 at 2:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It's hard to believe any political story coming out of Russia, or Belarus for that matter. Both countries are hardline dictatorships, the only stories we see here, are ones deemed ok to broadcast. The only opposition rallies we see are ones where the police step in to intervene. Imagewise, things seem to be grand, but behind the scenes, I'm sure there are still deep-rooted social and economic problems, while opponents are "jailed", or worse assassinated. Things aren't as rosy as they seem.
    Economically it is an undisputed fact that Russia is in better shape now that at any time since at least the October Revolution (ignoring fasle economic boosts created durign war time). That doesn't mean there are no poor people etc. Just like we still have social division under the most economically successfully Ireland in history.

You're right that Russia is a democratic shambles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Steve morale is essentially a short-term drug.

Morale was great amongst all the miners and prospectors during the California gold rush too but historically it was meaningless.

Putin's attempt to undo the national embarrassment that was caused by the breakup of the USSR and the loss of the Cold War whilst understandable is misdirected. Its the geopolitical equivalent of stalking an ex-girlfriend who has long since moved on.
    Public morale may be a short-term drug, but it's the life-blood of politics.

Even more so for olitiians who suppress democracy. If you make people feel much wealthier, secure and generally better off than they did before, they're often happier to turn a blind eye to some of your more unsavoury actions rather than risk going back to the old days. Thi si exactly what is happening in Russia now.

If Russia was still an economic shambles, Putin would be out on his arse in a heart-beat.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The right to vote does not mean Russia or places such as Pakistan are democracies. You need free press & open society that allows for peaceful transfer of power. When the institutions allow too much power it means the incumbents are slow to give up power peacefully as know exactly how much the new leaders will have over them.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    732 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Threashold of attendance - e.g. turn up to Parliament once every 6 months, for example, or you're automatically deemed to have vacated your seat.
    My apologies. I misread your post.

I wasn't refering to a minimum threshold of votes to qualify for a Duma seat in the first place. If you don't get 5% of the national vote, you're not out - as you're not in in the first place.....
    No one gets 5% of the national vote. Various parties might, but the rule outlaws independents and smaller parties. Granted, a rule which would crush what's left of the PDs might be welcomed here, but it's used to suppress opposition in Russia.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12