Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anthony Stokes

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anthony Stokes

looks like young stokes is proving all the doubters wrong AGAIN cant be too many irish 19 year olds playing in the premiership and scoring important goals well done stokes keep it up and prove to all the idiots like your man FEARBEAG ( how come this site is full of ****ing rednecks) they should stick to bringing in the **** from the fields and leave the football to the dubs. unless you are playing the game where they throw stones down a boreen and then dance at the crossroads.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    alt of the year

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    There should be some sort of waiting period before new members can start a thread.

He scored on a rebound, good for him. Doesn't mean he has turned the corner.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Paddywhack is a close relation of Stokes.

That should explain his shyte
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    That makes 3 goals since he moved to England (about 335 days) for Stokes

Defenders like William Gallas (3, but was hurt for the beginning stretch of time), Carlos Bocanegra (3...a goddamn dirty American soccer player (all of whom I hate), but a footballer in the EPL nonetheless), Jody Craddock (who has 4, though in the CCC) have as many if not more than him. He was used in a striking role a bit at the beginning of his career at Sunderland, but they had better options up front than him last year so they moved him to the wing where he did OK.

Tell me, how does a 1 yard out sidevolley prove everyone wrong? Currently he has as many EPL goals this year as his ex-teammate Stern John, who was sold after 3 or 4 weeks and as many in his career as current teammates who can't get a game Daryl Murphy (who hasn't been up to it this year when given the chance) and David Connolly (who hasn't been given a chance). I hope to see him play up front more for Sunderland (Chopra really shouldn't be at this point), though he really should get loaned to the CCC where he can (hopefully) score and get his confidence up.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 02/12/2007 at 12:17 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paddywhack View Post
    looks like young stokes is proving all the doubters wrong AGAIN cant be too many irish 19 year olds playing in the premiership and scoring important goals well done stokes keep it up and prove to all the idiots like your man FEARBEAG ( how come this site is full of ****ing rednecks) they should stick to bringing in the **** from the fields and leave the football to the dubs. unless you are playing the game where they throw stones down a boreen and then dance at the crossroads.
    You give us Dubs a good name. Thank you for your insightful assesment on the Stokes situation. Are you a Stokes fan or an Ireland fan?
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 02/12/2007 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Are you a Stokes fan or an Ireland fan?
    no, he's the man from U.N.C.L.E

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Firing off insults again I see. Seem’s to be common practice for you on here with your preoccupation to get personal... It’s a bit sad really. I am not going to rise to the bait this time mate.

Oh and what’s his name Stokes.Yeah he is a wonderful player. Great tap in; don’t think he will score a better goal ever. First of the season in the premiership too, amazing. How did Arsenal let this diamond go?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    paddywhack u are a g0bsh1te. but nice piece of fishing all the same- some idiots did take the bait.

good finish by stokes today, done well to get into the position in the first place and great reactions to tap it in. looks like it meant a lot to him too.

would like to see him get a run up front now to see for once if he does hae what it takes to make it.

people have been correct in thier assesment of him this season-
    (Largely $h1te), however, he has been played out of position. i doubt andrew cole/ kenywe jones (or any other striker for that matter) would have done much better playing on the wing.

get him in the box as an out an out striker..give him a run of 9/10 games and then make a judgement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Let's all hope he goes on a run now and starts banging them in regularly for club and country.
    Exactly Tuff. He has promise, certainly not the finished article at 19 but let's hope he can develop into a decent striker.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    That makes 3 goals since he moved to England (about 335 days) for Stokes

Defenders like William Gallas (3, but was hurt for the beginning stretch of time), Carlos Bocanegra (3...a goddamn dirty American soccer player (all of whom I hate), but a footballer in the EPL nonetheless), Jody Craddock (who has 4, though in the CCC) have as many if not more than him. He was used in a striking role a bit at the beginning of his career at Sunderland, but they had better options up front than him last year so they moved him to the wing where he did OK.

Tell me, how does a 1 yard out sidevolley prove everyone wrong? Currently he has as many EPL goals this year as his ex-teammate Stern John, who was sold after 3 or 4 weeks and as many in his career as current teammates who can't get a game Daryl Murphy (who hasn't been up to it this year when given the chance) and David Connolly (who hasn't been given a chance). I hope to see him play up front more for Sunderland (Chopra really shouldn't be at this point), though he really should get loaned to the CCC where he can (hopefully) score and get his confidence up.
    Think about what you are saying ? you are comparing the above players to a young kid whon at 18 years old did more in the spl than any other striker you can mention.
    Why do we contuine look for faults in our young players .

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Paddywhack is a close relation of Stokes.

That should explain his shyte
    Not that it makes any difference I am not releated in any way to young Stokes just dont like to see our young players always knocked back by idiot irish fans and bigger idiot journialists this is what robbie keane was talking about on late late show. Why always look for faults in our young players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Not that it makes any difference I am not releated in any way to young Stokes just dont like to see our young players always knocked back by idiot irish fans and bigger idiot journialists this is what robbie keane was talking about on late late show. Why always look for faults in our young players
    Indeed

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Howiya Anto's Da!!
    If I was I would be the proudest man today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Let's all hope he goes on a run now and starts banging them in regularly for club and country.
    I second that. This time last year, he was regarded as the saviour - one of the hottest properties in cross-channel football. His form recently has been patchy, and when Keane has put him up front, he's missed chances, but it's a big learning curve, and he's only 19/20 (?) and this goal today will do him no harm. Young lads need a confidence boost, and I hope he'll flourish from now on. I think he has the talent to be an important player for us, as long as he escapes the Keith O'Neill, Connolly, Reddy, Barrett malaise.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 02/12/2007 at 3:10 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Barrett has to be one of the most unlucky players of the decade. He was breaking through with Arsenal, only to have two career threatening injuries.

Good to see he's scored a few goals for Falkirk. I remember Brian Glanville saying he was the best young player of his age group by far in England when he was captaining Arsenal to the youth cup.

regarding Stokes;great to see him score. He is a very talented lad if he can remain focused on his game and not become an a-list celebrity down in tramco. i suppose it is easy to forget he is so young.

I do really think he needs a loan move to a decent championship club to boost his confidence. Sunderland will face a dog fight each week to stay up and that kind of pressure is not good for one so young who is lacking confidence.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Why always look for faults in our young players
    If you a regular on here you'd realise that most are positive about him given the stage he's at at his career. Many, like me, have offered constructive criticism. For example in the recent U21 game against bulgaria he showed flashes of brilliance along with some really frustrating basic errors of judgment that even at that age - and among his underage peers - you'd expect him to have done better.

Are you opposed to constructive criticism or do you think we've all got to behave like sycophantic lemmings in offering adulation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    Barrett has to be one of the most unlucky players of the decade....... I remember Brian Glanville saying he was the best young player of his age group by far in England when he was captaining Arsenal to the youth cup.....
    I always thought Barrett not coming through for us was a big loss. I am sure many remember his display in the Amsterdam Arena in June 2004 when he oozed class.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Stokes relies heavily on through balls and his teammates reading his runs. Stick him up front, give him the service and he'll score goals. For some reason managers want to play him deep and get him involved in the play. He's a Filippo Inzaghi type player and I thought it was interesting that he chose the number 9 shirt at Sunderland. He doesn't even see himself as a number 10 but managers seem to want to play him as a support striker (or on the wing...).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I really hope he proves me wrong. I like nothing more than an Irishman taking the premiership by storm but I have seen nothing yet to prove that he is as good player as some make him out to be. Ok he is only 19 and I am probably premature in my assessment on his abilities. So Paddy whack there is no need to get so defensive when someone offers an opinion as that's all it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast