Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anthony Stokes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    I really hope he proves me wrong. I like nothing more than an Irishman taking the premiership by storm but I have seen nothing yet to prove that he is as good player as some make him out to be.
    My opinion on him is almost 100% based on his time at Falkirk. He was obviously playing against poor defences but he just instinctively knew where to be. Stokes had Russell Latapy setting up his goals and at SPL level you couldn't really ask for better service. A fantastic reader of the game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Stokes relies heavily on through balls and his teammates reading his runs. Stick him up front, give him the service and he'll score goals. For some reason managers want to play him deep and get him involved in the play. He's a Filippo Inzaghi type player and I thought it was interesting that he chose the number 9 shirt at Sunderland. He doesn't even see himself as a number 10 but managers seem to want to play him as a support striker (or on the wing...).
    It's not up to Stokes to decide where he wants to play. I personally don't think Stokes is a good enough finisher or has enough pace to play right through the middle.

Wenger was interviewed a couple of years ago by an Irish paper (Indo or times can't remember which) and he said he sees Stokes as a Paul Scholes type midfield player - not a striker - he did comment on the fact he had excellent technique.

I lived in London near Barnet and I used to go and watch him play for the reserves. He played up front sometimes and did ok but both Lupoli and Bendtner looked far better playing as strikers.

Wenger and the other coaching staff tried to develop him into an attacking midfielder / wide midfielder. At the time in the reservers reports the reserve team manager (don' think it was Bould than) would regularly makes comments on Stokes about how well he was doing and the fact he was trying to learn a new position. (Some of it was clearly aimed at building up his confidence).

I get the impression that Stokes and his old fella think they know best and were determoned that he should continue up front regardless of what the coaches said.

I think it a great shame that Stokes choose to ignore one of the greatest coaches of this generation who could have developed him into a top class attacking midfield player.

Ultimately time will tell who was right or wrong..........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paddywhack View Post
    Not that it makes any difference I am not releated in any way to young Stokes just dont like to see our young players always knocked back by idiot irish fans and bigger idiot journialists this is what robbie keane was talking about on late late show. Why always look for faults in our young players
    Its over the top praise like this which is the problem, just building him up for a fall. Let him get on with it and hopefully he will progress to be an irish great, but dont be putting this pressure on him.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Glad to see him get a goal.

As said here he's not the finished article yet, but at 19 to be a well-used substitute at a Premier League side is nothing to be ashamed of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Not that it makes any difference I am not releated in any way to young Stokes just dont like to see our young players always knocked back by idiot irish fans and bigger idiot journialists this is what robbie keane was talking about on late late show. Why always look for faults in our young players
    Don't worry about that comment, as soon as one shows support for a player who is not in people here's liking they assume you are related to him
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Stokes relies heavily on through balls and his teammates reading his runs. Stick him up front, give him the service and he'll score goals.
    I agree with that... Will be interesting to see what happens when Richardson returns for Sunderland. I noticed in the couple of games at the start of the season the two of them are on a differen wavelength to th rest of the team in terms of Richardson picking out runs and passes.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    While I'm delighted got his first Premiership goal, and equally happy that some people are easing off on the negativity about him, I'd be a whole lot happier if more people commented that Paul McShane was part of the defence that kept a clean sheet and started saying more of the "well, he's young, so he'll improve" type comments. Stokes will peak before McShane (strikers have the best period of their careers before defenders - insert puberty/maturity joke here) but McShane has taken way more flak.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    looks like young stokes is proving all the doubters wrong AGAIN cant be too many irish 19 year olds playing in the premiership and scoring important goals well done stokes keep it up and prove to all the idiots like your man FEARBEAG ( how come this site is full of ****ing rednecks) they should stick to bringing in the **** from the fields and leave the football to the dubs. unless you are playing the game where they throw stones down a boreen and then dance at the crossroads.
    Guess his manager has to be one of the doubters as he is quoted in today's Irish Indo saying something like "... Stokes in five years time will be either playing at the highest level or non league football..." hopefully he'll find that Keane can provide the correct mentoring and help Stokes buckle down and not flit away his undoubted talent...still as Keanne also said "... I can't keep an eye on players 24 hours a day..." time will tell but maybe the lad will figure out what's best for himself the question is does he have the brains and/or the maturity to do that ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops View Post
    I always thought Barrett not coming through for us was a big loss. I am sure many remember his display in the Amsterdam Arena in June 2004 when he oozed class.
    Yes our even the Finland friendly away after the 2002WC, where we won three nil. Almost certain Barrett scored the third that day, how things were looking so positive for the future back then.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If Stokes wanted to be played as an out and out striker every week for his club then his first mistake was signing for Sunderland...I actually said at the time, when there (allegedly) was an offer from Charlton on the table that he would be far better advised to go to there where he more than likely would have gone straight into the first-team as a striker.

Instead he was lured by Sunderland's money and is now playing for a manager who is quickly developing a reputation for squad rotation and playing players out of position...There is (unfortunately) no way that Stokes will be given the opportunity to get a run in that team up front at the moment...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Mods, here's another Stokes thread dating back to 2007 that can be merged with the biggie. Interesting reading the adulation by some (one - Paddywhack who disappeared after Farbeag asked to meet him at a game!) and the words of wisdom by the old heads which alas generally came to pass. Stokes may make a career for himself in Scotland or the Championship/Division One but I doubt if he has it to make it at the top level
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, what he said.

For the all-seeing Mods. To merge?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12