Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: English FA'a approach to appointing manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

English FA'a approach to appointing manager

The FA are to contact several Premiership managers and senior England players to get opinions on who they think should be the next England manager. Surely this is a receipe for disaster of FAI proportions.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think it's a disaster. There's plenty of candidates out there for both teams and they probably have a different criteria in regards to a managerial appointment. What concerns me more is Scotland having a vacancy (hopefully they go for a Scot and not a continental so that we're not fighting it out for the same person).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,921 Posts
    If it is a recipe for disaster, then how can we see that as being a disaster?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I suppose it shows that its not only the fai who have trouble in running the national game and making decisions that they are paying themselves inordinate amounts for.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Just like the FAI, it smacks of fear in decision making (not that I blame the FA, given the English media), and a desire to at the very least be seen to be taking broad counsel.

If not also an exercise in advance sh!t-deflection and blame spreading should the decision go wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    when was the last time 3 of the 5 teams in this archipelago were managerless?
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    I don't think there have ever been as many as 3 managerless at the same time before now. Open to correction though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    Actually, it's four*, since Worthington's contract expired after the Spain game. The IFA appear keen for him to renew, but he doesn't appear to be in any great hurry.

I suspect that on balance he will, but at the very least he's seeking assurances about the position, if not also waiting to see what opportunities might be open to him in English club football, where his stock is still reasonably high.

* - Ironically, Wales are hanging on to a manager they ought to get rid of, had they but the sense to know it!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    JOhn Toshack... if he were not employed, would be a better candidate to be an international manager than about 95% of the names mentioned in connection with the Irish job. He has won La Liga Titles in Spain and negotiated very tricky political scenarios behind the scenes at Real Madrid. He took Swansea from what we now call the League 2 to what we now call the English Premier League at the start of his career. SO he is used to working with players of average ability and worse. His lack of success in his current post is down to the basic problem that Wales do not have a large pool of playing talent to choose from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    JOhn Toshack... if he were not employed, would be a better candidate to be an international manager than about 95% of the names mentioned in connection with the Irish job. He has won La Liga Titles in Spain and negotiated very tricky political scenarios behind the scenes at Real Madrid. He took Swansea from what we now call the League 2 to what we now call the English Premier League at the start of his career. SO he is used to working with players of average ability and worse. His lack of success in his current post is down to the basic problem that Wales do not have a large pool of playing talent to choose from.
    I'm with CTID here. There was no way Wales was going to qualify out of their group with the players available.

Sacking him and paying off his salary would achieve nothing as they're going nowhere anyways with that group.

Maybe they'll get a super-generation sometime, but this one can't cut it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Following a few chats with Welsh fans in Cardiff it seems that there is no love lost between the regulars at the Millienium Stadium and Toshack!!!
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!