Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    neither have got anything to do with ireland anymore.

what has the two of them working together got to do with anything????????????????????????????
    Didn't you hear the latest rumour?

Mick with Roy assisting. Stan will be the consultant.

Agree with that post on the other page, it's a pity Saipan happened- if he was judged purely on his footballing results, achieving no lower than 2nd place cannot be second guessed.

He was a fantastic manager for us before, and I believe he could do the job again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    neither have got anything to do with ireland anymore.

what has the two of them working together got to do with anything????????????????????????????

My point was i dontgive a s*** about personalities all i want is to have the best person in the job and if we are realistic and look at Mick's results ignoring 1 incident which can never be changed, we didnt do too bad.

And if he gets the job he will have to have dealings with Roy if he wants Sunderland players released.

Keane and Quinn have kissed and madde up

Keane and McCarthy have shaken hands!

So if the only problem is supporters who cant put their personal feeling to one side to support the team we'd be better off without them as supporters.

If the devil could play soccer and was good enough to be on the team id welcome him with open arms

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenforever View Post

If the devil could play soccer and was good enough to be on the team id welcome him with open arms
    how exactly does a fictional supernatural being qualify for ireland these days?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Coz he's got an Irish granny - Grandmother from Wanderley Wagon.

Sheesh...
    Last edited by ramondo; 11/01/2008 at 1:18 AM.
    It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi swims with Team Ireland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Well I am very much Anti Roy Keane but I still supported him 100% when Kerr brought him back.

All I want is for Ireland to start winning again and if that means Mick and Roy working together so be it..anyway Roy has changed his attitude since becoming a manager
    couldnt agree more. if our "fans" constantly let something that happened six years ago affect their opinions on our team and who manages it then maybe they deserve someone like stan to manage the team. roy and mick have got over it so why cant everyone else? please please can we please move on from saipan

you just cant keep roy out of the news....

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...s-1259893.html
    Last edited by jbyrne; 11/01/2008 at 7:39 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    couldnt agree more. if our "fans" constantly let something that happened six years ago affect their opinions on our team and who manages it then maybe they deserve someone like stan to manage the team. roy and mick have got over it so why cant everyone else? please please can we please move on from saipan

you just cant keep roy out of the news....

http://www.independent.ie/world-news...s-1259893.html
    Is that picture not Andy Cole after Roy had started booting chairs around and thrown that derssing room tantrum that Clive Clarke mentioned last weekend???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Bring back macarthy......bring back one win in four games meaning a succesful world cup....bring back going a goal down to andorra at home....bring back denis irwin having to prove him wrong....bring back hammering malta 3-2 away....bring back "I had two Macedonias"...bring back ian harte in central defence....bring back only picking premiership players....bring back the wing back system....bring back send your best player home from the world cup.....bring back cathal dervan .....bring back Mark Kennedy......bring back kevin kilbane keeping Damien Duff out of the team......bring back the farce that was the Russia away game...bring back Mick Byrne.....oh wait a minute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    Bring back macarthy......bring back one win in four games meaning a succesful world cup....bring back going a goal down to andorra at home....bring back denis irwin having to prove him wrong....bring back hammering malta 3-2 away....bring back "I had two Macedonias"...bring back ian harte in central defence....bring back only picking premiership players....bring back the wing back system....bring back send your best player home from the world cup.....bring back cathal dervan .....bring back Mark Kennedy......bring back kevin kilbane keeping Damien Duff out of the team......bring back the farce that was the Russia away game...bring back Mick Byrne.....oh wait a minute
    Don't. You will upset big Mick's loyal fans.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Bring back macarthy......bring back one win in four games meaning a succesful world cup.:
    ..or no defeat in 4 games except on penos, including draws with two world powers (Spain and Germany) in 90 minutes.

...bring back going a goal down to andorra at home..
    Think we won that game.

......bring back denis irwin having to prove him wrong...
    No one, even if he plays for MANCHESTER UNITED, is entitled to automatic selection even if he is about to be released from Man U in his mid thirties apart from the fact Mick didn't say that. WHat he said was "go and prove me wrong" and that is a very different thing than telling him to go out and prove himself.

........bring back hammering malta 3-2 away....
    I'll take that hammering anytime for an Irish team notoriously dodgy on its travels.

..........bring back "I had two Macedonias".......
    Quite a funny expression really.

..........bring back ian harte in central defence.....
    Needs must and I say that as a non-Harte fan.

....bring back only picking premiership players......
    That's a criticism?

.......bring back the wing back system.........
    Nothing ventured.....

.......bring back send your best player home from the world cup..............
    If he doesn't want to be there in the first place and already had spit the dummy twice, why not?

etc etc

Bring back "fans" running after the team bus and spitting at him. Bring back players calling him English. Bring back the second manager only to qualify us for the World Cup. Bring back the only manager who cared enough to shed tears when his country lost in a play off. Bring back an upright and honourable person.

Anyway, all academic because it won't happen in a month of Sundays. I am not a huge McCarthy fan and Mick is not and was not perfect but no one can deny that 2 play-offs and a WC qualification in 7 years with a patchy team is by no means bad. Every manager makes mistakes and he did too - I recall a fairly windy approach to playing a so-so Croatian team in Zagreb and losing 0-1 to a last-minute goal - but the good definitley outweighed the bad. His record with English clubs is, overall, a good one too. Don’t forget that his fairly mediocre Sunderland team walked away with the Championship. His experience with that team in the Premiership wasn’t good but, unlike the present incumbent, he didn’t have much dosh.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Not to mention leaving his father on his deathbed to take charge out in Cyprus in March '01. How people (not suggesting Bill here) can "hate him" is beyond me.

Curate's egg of a manager first time around. A lot more that can be said about Stan.

Bringing him back would be way too divisive & would immediately and constantly distract attention from the real issues: performances & qualification.

A different approach is needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Bringing him back would be way too divisive & would immediately and constantly distract attention from the real issues: performances & qualification.
    it wouldnt be a given that it would immediately be divisive in my opinion. if results and performances were good then peoples problems with mick would soon be forgotten.

as i said earlier there are problems with all the people being mentioned. i honestly believe that mick has better proven credentials to manage us than any of the other realistic candidates

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Yeah!! McCarthy made mistakes.. It's too easy to highlight them, but the fact is he cut his teeth in management at our expense (A breif stint at Millwall aside)... Which Is why I hate the thought of young managers at international level...

But it can be said without doubt that he was a better manager leaving us in 2001 that he was when he got the job, and it could be argued that he's better again since given what he achieved with Sunderland with literally a fraction of the support Keane has now..

McCarthy wouldn't be my first choice by any stretch, but he's no where enear as bad an option as some make out..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    it wouldnt be a given that it would immediately be divisive in my opinion.
    I think we'll agree to disagree on that point jb. I think there are many out there who think that Mick is the devil incarnate and will never change their minds. Just like people will always think that Robbie should be dropped, that O'Shea is literally our "worst player ever" etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not to mention leaving his father on his deathbed to take charge out in Cyprus in March '01. How people (not suggesting Bill here) can "hate him" is beyond me.

Curate's egg of a manager first time around. A lot more that can be said about Stan.

A different approach is needed.
    exactly, and that should be the end of it. It's obvious that we all have our (mostly conflicting) views of McCarthy the manager and that we're definitely not going to agree at this stage but I think that most of us can agree that bringing him back would not be the best move for Irish as it would drag up the remnants of Saipan and would be far too divisive....

The whole debate is just getting repetitive and boring at this stage....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I wouldn't want or think Mick will get the job but the man sweated blood for us and was a fine captain and manager. He made mistakes like all managers do and stuck with Kilbad like all the others since when Duffer was on top of his game for Balckburn etc. He won't get the job I reckon its Houllier but then again it wouldn't suprise me if El Tel rides into town
    With a squad made up of players like Green, McShocking and Kilbad we are going places. Down the gutter.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    I think we'll agree to disagree on that point jb. I think there are many out there who think that Mick is the devil incarnate and will never change their minds. Just like people will always think that Robbie should be dropped, that O'Shea is literally our "worst player ever" etc.
    thats what debate is about! agree with much of what you say but i think the anti-mick "fans" would soon be won over if things went well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    ..or no defeat in 4 games except on penos, including draws with two world powers (Spain and Germany) in 90 minutes.
    In 90 minutes? Unfortunatley in a knockout tournament that isnt good enough. Spain had two goals disallowed and Ireland were given two penos. Spain also were down to ten men for most of extra time.

Think we won that game.
    Andorra werent exactly famed for there scoring prowess at the time…

No one, even if he plays for MANCHESTER UNITED, is entitled to automatic selection even if he is about to be released from Man U in his mid thirties apart from the fact Mick didn't say that. WHat he said was "go and prove me wrong" and that is a very different thing than telling him to go out and prove himself.
    Come on…he wasn’t in his mid thirties….and he was a very good player still at the time….
    I'll take that hammering anytime for an Irish team notoriously dodgy on its travels.
    Well conceding two goals away to malta wouldn’t suggest the team was sent out with the right attitude by the manager?

Quite a funny expression really.
    Once was a mistake, twice is just careless

That's a criticism?
    It is when most of your players were playing outside of it….

Nothing ventured.....
    …………nothing understood….

If he doesn't want to be there in the first place and already had spit the dummy twice, why not?
    mmmmmm…managers job to look after everyone and have the best players available out on the pitch. Players job to look after themselves…

Bring back "fans" running after the team bus and spitting at him.
    No idea what your talking about but if its as accurate as …..
    Bring back players calling him English
    He is English….and no player ever called him that.

Bring back the second manager only to qualify us for the World Cup.
    No…please don’t…..we shouldn’t waste another 6 years before he can get us to another one…
    Bring back the only manager who cared enough to shed tears when his country lost in a play off. Bring back an upright and honourable person.
    Well if he cried he must care!!!! Ha ha!!!

Only question is with him…..why are wolves so keen to get rid of him?
    Other than the fact that he is touting for other jobs while still in a job……mmmmm……not unlike his time with Ireland then….

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Spain had two goals disallowed
    correctly, for offside.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

2 He didnt practice penalties, so what, penalties are a lottery we all know that
    This statement is a joke. Why is it that some players hardly ever miss a penalty. Or why in the WC final last year, all penalties were scored except for one that hit the underside of the bar.

It was a knockout phase of the biggest tournament in the world and the chance that it would end in a draw after 120 minutes was high. Therefore, practicing penalties is extremely important at that stage in a competition and not just a 'lottery'.

One look at some of Irelands penalties against Spain in 2002 illustrates just why players should practise their penalties.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    This statement is a joke. Why is it that some players hardly ever miss a penalty. Or why in the WC final last year, all penalties were scored except for one that hit the underside of the bar.

It was a knockout phase of the biggest tournament in the world and the chance that it would end in a draw after 120 minutes was high. Therefore, practicing penalties is extremely important at that stage in a competition and not just a 'lottery'.

One look at some of Irelands penalties against Spain in 2002 illustrates just why players should practise their penalties.
    Scored 5 out of 5 in 1990 without any formal practice other then the bets as to who could put one past Quinn in goal. There was easilly as much practice undertaken in 2002.

England practiced penalties in 2006, didn't seem to do them much good....

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast