Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    just the highlights...did you see the newcastle game before that, as well as the city game before that? They try to keep the ball on the floor..not like Mick as a player and as a manager!! hee haw...donkey

I dont follow united or liverpool or anyone else bar ireland for that matter..might have guessed you were one of the self-righteous group of LOI fans. Do you want a blue peter badge?..ya hardly have a chip on your shoulder lad, hardly!!!
    Yep, saw both and saw them pick up a solitary point in 2 dreadful games. And that point came against a Newcastle side who got tonked 4-1 by Porstmouth and 3-0 by Liverpool in their 2 home games either side of that.

Thought you just agreed McCathy's Ireland played decent football so what are you on about? Sunderland tried it in the Premiership last time around but hadn't got the players to do it, your new suggestion that he's a long ball manager shows you don't know what you're on about.

As for the self righteous remark, ! You brought who I support into it by accusing me of being a 'sad ass Liverpool fan'! You got a class to get back to or do they still let schools out early on a Wednesday?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    just the highlights...
    So you saw the 7 goals they conceeded then
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he cant even get wolves promoted, two lowest ever points tallys in a premiership...McCarthy is a cr*p manager...one win against saudi arabia in the world cup...persisted on playing harte and leaving out finnan!!

How many games have we won in the major competitions? Have always thought, and posted that we played our best football under Mick, but its time to move on, new broom needed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    just the highlights...did you see the newcastle game before that, as well as the city game before that? They try to keep the ball on the floor..not like Mick as a player and as a manager!! hee haw...donkey

I dont follow united or liverpool or anyone else bar ireland for that matter..might have guessed you were one of the self-righteous group of LOI fans. Do you want a blue peter badge?..ya hardly have a chip on your shoulder lad, hardly!!!

Keane can get a new job assisting Mick in the Ireland Job
    seeing as the P45 is not far away but no dogs allowed ( sorry triggs)

MICK THE LAST MANAGER TO GET US TO A FINAL - YE YA DONKEY

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    we had no squad of any quality or depth whatsoever for that campaign. it was barely better than the teams you mention. all of charltons players were either gone or were well past their time for that campaign. to oversee new young players come in and still manage to come within a very dubious belgium play-off winner of wc 98 was a major achievment
    I completely disagree, Roy Keane, Denis Irwin, Steve Staunton, Niall Quinn, Jason McAteer - these are all top players who were under Charlton and were in their prime

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    Post of the month!

I'd probably defend McCarthy as much as anyone. He was doing alright for Ireland after a shaky start. He was unlucky to concede a goal in the last minute in Skopje. As for the other teams being too sh*te to finish second, Holland too sh*te? Croatia too sh*te? Yeah right. Somebody doesn't know what those teams had produced at the preceding competition finals.

However, like any manager you become stale in the one job, and I believe the World Cup was possibly McCarthy's summit. With hindsight he should have walked after Suwon. I wish he had too.
    I think he was referring to the 98 campaign

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Yep, saw both and saw them pick up a solitary point in 2 dreadful games. And that point came against a Newcastle side who got tonked 4-1 by Porstmouth and 3-0 by Liverpool in their 2 home games either side of that.

Thought you just agreed McCathy's Ireland played decent football so what are you on about? Sunderland tried it in the Premiership last time around but hadn't got the players to do it, your new suggestion that he's a long ball manager shows you don't know what you're on about.

As for the self righteous remark, ! You brought who I support into it by accusing me of being a 'sad ass Liverpool fan'! You got a class to get back to or do they still let schools out early on a Wednesday?
    Is that your word of the day??

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Alot of die hard Liverpool fans idolise Roy Keane and still do.

And other ManUre players Denis Irwin, Paul McGrath, Kevin Moran.

PS (not John O'Sh1t though)
    Funniest thing I read in ages Have you ever been to Liverpool and met a real Liverpool fan, if you find one who idolises Roy Keane I'll eat Mrs Billy's hat............

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billydoneit View Post
    Funniest thing I read in ages Have you ever been to Liverpool and met a real Liverpool fan, if you find one who idolises Roy Keane I'll eat Mrs Billy's hat............
    And there is the difference.I think that guy was referring to Irish Liverpool fans who are ,lets be honest, not really Liverpool fans in the truest sense of the word.
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    You got a class to get back to or do they still let schools out early on a Wednesday?
    Good one how ya tonk of that? You tonker! Should you not be signing on today? do you get internet allowance these days with the council flat?have a bit of coddle and chill!

Seriously though, back to the matter at hand, McCarthy for ireland again is a no no...ridiculous idea...
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I completely disagree, Roy Keane, Denis Irwin, Steve Staunton, Niall Quinn, Jason McAteer - these are all top players who were under Charlton and were in their prime
    keane missed some very important matches in the wc 98 campaign including the play off in brussels. you name 5 players (some of whom also missed important games) that MAY be considered top players but most of the rest of the squad were young and inexperienced at international level or over the hill

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Howya Dave.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by billydoneit View Post
    Ive been to a Liverpool-United match at Anfield and Keane was possibly the ONLY United player that wasnt booed. Keano put Gerard in his place that day and the local press did not hold back in pointing this out.

Lopez - I was referring to the 98 campaign which was mentioned in the post that I was replying to.

Drumcrondra69 - am I not allowed to support more than one team. I am a season ticket holder at a Dublin eL club, go to every Ireland game and I also support Liverpool. I also follow football all over the World (like most people). Like wanks, you have some good ones and some bad. Is that ok with YOU ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    ...Lopez - I was referring to the 98 campaign which was mentioned in the post that I was replying to...
    Fair enough! Ireland should have done enough damage in that group to qualify as of right (which Scotland did). But I there was a period of rebuilding, the en vogue of of the 2-3-3-2 or whatever formation in the Premiership, and McCarthy's international naivete all contributed to this (Keane was also missing a lot, as was McGrath for Macedonia)

His subsequent record but Croatia and Holland proved that he was a class above his successors. I wish I was back in May 2002.

Like wanks, you have some good ones and some bad. Is that ok with YOU ?
    You've beaten my previous nomination. You're now my post of the month.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McCarthy was a decent and honourable who did a decent job with Ireland and got shafted by his own fans. He'd do a good job again, proably better than first time round. His teams got the ball on the ground and played football and had they shown a little more conviction away from home, they would have made 2 of the 3 finals Mick was in charge for. Certainly both the results and performance were much better than anything under Kerr and Stan

I'd be gald to have Mick back but, to be honest, after the way he was hounded out, he deserves better than us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    He did say last week that he had no problem with the FAI and never once did they interfere in his running of the side. That to me said he would jump at the chance to come back. Would he get this current squad to WC2010. Maybe. Under McCArthy we would beat every team at home bar Italy (and we might beat them). We would beat Cyprus away and Georgia away. We would concede a last minute goal to Montegero for a 1-1! We might get points in Bulgaria and Italy. Both games would be very tight. We would almost certainly still have a chance of qualify right up to the last game.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 28/11/2007 at 10:42 PM.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Mick McCarthy? Did we learn nothing from Saipan?

John Sheridan should be given the job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    couldn't be arsed reading through this whole thread but I can't believe that most Irish fans would want McCarthy back...now I was for neither man in Saipan but fact of the matter is that we will never move on from that whole debacle and never have a fresh start unless someone completely independent from previous Irish setups comes in....

Now McCarthy seems like a decent and honourable man but is nothing more than an ok manager for championship level but we desperately need a fresh face that will not guarantee old pals like Keane and Kilbane their places every game...the Irish team needs a shake-up and we're not going to get that by bringing back the ghosts of Saipan...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Why do people constantly refer to the second tier of English football when describing this man and his abilities?
    International football is a totally different thing

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mc Carthy has great experenice in being captain in a world cup and the last manager to get us to the finals he know the irish sprit - unlike some people who have been mention for the job.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast