Thread: Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Well said Teresa.
    cheers Triggs
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    cheers Triggs
    I'd say poor Triggs' paws must be worn down to stumps now with the amount of mileage he must have got since that 7-1 tonking on Saturday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    He didn't need to create a new team, that's my point. All he needed to do was gently introduce the likes of Cunningham, Kinsella and Given into the side, bed down a settled side (rather than those bizarre, experimental formations and erratic team-selections, like playing Staunton and Irwin as centre-backs in a 3-5-2), and it may not have taken us six years of 'transition' to get to a major tournament.
    are you serious? mick inherited a team that was full of players well on the wrong side of 30 and needed a complete make-over. the end of our euro 96 campaign was a complete disaster.... holland 0-2, portugal 0-3, austria 1-3 twice, 6 counties 1-1!! looking back now it was a miracle he got us to the play-offs twice and the 02 wc finals (were we performed well above ourselves, going out on pens to a spanish side who were 2nd favs to win the wc at the time) with the resources he had to work with

during his term we beat yugoslavia, croatia and holland in qualifiers. the only team of note charlton beat in a qualifier was spain in '89

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    All of the squad apart from Sheridan, Townsend, Houghton, McGrath and Aldridge had at least another two campaigns left in them. 5 players to replace, over a period of two years. Not a complete makeover, in my opinion. Every international manager has to deal with retirements. McCarthy handled the job badly at first. eventually, things fell into place, but he was clueless during the first two years. The job is a lot more difficult now than it was then, and that is why he should not be given the job again.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 27/11/2007 at 6:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Mick De *****?

Only the FAI could float the possibility of this muppet returning.Such a divisive appointment, would have any campaign doomed from the start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He got a raw deal after Saipan.

Mistakes were made by everyone, but he came out worst, and the media lost him his job.

I'd love to see him back...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, the Yugoslavia and Holland games were among my best memories watching Ireland, but McCarthy also presided over some of my worst - i.e. Iceland, Lithuania, Belgium, Macedonia (twice), Croatia, Turkey, Saipan, Russia and Switzerland. For four years I thought he was the wrong man, it was a case of the FAI letting a manager 'learn on the job'. He's a Championship manager now, just like Dowie, Dave Jones, Neil Warnock etc... We need someone different, a bigger name, a la Charlton in 86.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 27/11/2007 at 9:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Id have Mick anytime before El Tels Perma Tan .I dont think Mick would ever work under Delaney again after the way he was shafted the last time.

If Irish Soccer is too have any future that "fraud" has to be dumped once and for all but of course he has all his "Boys" licking his ass
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    looking back now it was a miracle he got us to the play-offs twice
    We were seeded 2nd I think back then and the groups were pretty weak particularly the first campaign when it was us Romania and Lichenstein , being seeded 2nd makes a huge difference, we're on the slippery slope.

The last 3 campaigns are really hurting us now, The Czech Rep and Bulgaria are effectively Kerr's legacy to us...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    We were seeded 2nd I think back then and the groups were pretty weak particularly the first campaign when it was us Romania and Lichenstein , being seeded 2nd makes a huge difference, we're on the slippery slope.

The last 3 campaigns are really hurting us now, The Czech Rep and Bulgaria are effectively Kerr's legacy to us...
    I think we were Top seeds for WC98 with Romania as second seeds. As we were for Euro96 with Portugal second.

Top seeds lads, how the mighty have fallen.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    last irish manager to get us to World cup.
    last time we were in the top 15 in the world seedings

Answer - Mick McCarthy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think McCarthy was genuine and an ok manager, but he was too emotional about it. That documentary on him showed it. THere's nothing wrong with being emotional in the job, the total contrast being Eriksson, but the press ridiculed a bit for it. I don't think he could ever come back. Maybe he took that job too soon.
    'And Crouch must score'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr miyagi View Post
    Well he created a new team didn't he ?? One that performed quite well...
    If he did it once, why not give him an opportunity to do it again...
    I beg to differ. Some people have very selective memories. The '98 campaign was an utter disaster - Harte centre back, Keane centre back. Telling Irwin to prove himself. Awful results against Iceland, Macedonia, Lithuania. Scraping through to the playoffs in a laughable group.

Even a man called Stan would do a better job than that. And don't give me "he learned from that campaign" nonsense. Staunton didnt get that chance, neither did Kerr after his first full campaign.

We should have topped that group with the players we had

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    are you serious? mick inherited a team that was full of players well on the wrong side of 30 and needed a complete make-over. the end of our euro 96 campaign was a complete disaster.... holland 0-2, portugal 0-3, austria 1-3 twice, 6 counties 1-1!! looking back now it was a miracle he got us to the play-offs twice and the 02 wc finals (were we performed well above ourselves, going out on pens to a spanish side who were 2nd favs to win the wc at the time) with the resources he had to work with

during his term we beat yugoslavia, croatia and holland in qualifiers. the only team of note charlton beat in a qualifier was spain in '89
    Ya fininshing ahead of the might of Lithuania and Iceland - he's a real Harry Houdini

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This is nonsense, there is absolutely ZERO chance of McCarthy being given the job. Anybody even suggesting this on the "selection panel" would surely realise they would be enraging at least 50% of Irish football fans (rightly or wrongly). Nobody can seriously believe McCarthy is in with a shout, even if he did want the job.
    Last edited by Scram; 28/11/2007 at 9:37 AM. Reason: (

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheman View Post
    last irish manager to get us to World cup.
    last time we were in the top 15 in the world seedings

Answer - Mick McCarthy
    he cant even get wolves promoted, two lowest ever points tallys in a premiership...McCarthy is a cr*p manager...one win against saudi arabia in the world cup...persisted on playing harte and leaving out finnan!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Red&White Rover View Post
    He got a raw deal after Saipan.

Mistakes were made by everyone, but he came out worst, and the media lost him his job.
    What cost McCarthy his job was the apparent mistake of not spotting Spain were down a man in the World Cup, and then two shocking performances in the first two qualifiers. It was those things that lead to further questioning of what happened in Saipan really - kinda gave it a fresh set of legs.

As for him coming back, it's simply too soon. I wouldn't necessarily rule it out but it'd have to be a different set of players and administrators really, never mind show that he can still produce it in club management. No one would be seriously making a case now if it wasn't for the favourite being El feckin Tel!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wolves will be in the premership next season he is doing grat things there with a limited team and not much money.

We still the last manager to get us to a world cup finals no matter what anyboby say .. does any one think we will be in the finals in 2 years time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheman View Post
    Wolves will be in the premership next season he is doing grat things there with a limited team and not much money.

We still the last manager to get us to a world cup finals no matter what anyboby say .. does any one think we will be in the finals in 2 years time.
    Do we have Roy Keane in his prime now??

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    he cant even get wolves promoted, two lowest ever points tallys in a premiership...McCarthy is a cr*p manager...one win against saudi arabia in the world cup...persisted on playing harte and leaving out finnan!!
    Laughable!!

He was in charge for less then a quarter of one of those seasons, at least try to be factual.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast