Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Kerr was sh*te. McCarthy wasn't great either. We need someone new. Billy Davies (see previous post)?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Cos' Billy Davies will take the Scotland Job when McLeish goes to Birmingham..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Im no Kerr fan but i think your talking ****** aswell

Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post

1 out of 3 v Russia– none of whom are exactly international heavyweights.
    Need I go on?
    He got a point against the same russian team that hammered us 4-2 under the tutelage of the Magic Mick.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot, Kerr's home record was probably the worst of any
    Irish manager in history.
    You really do like to show your ignorance....Kerr lost one friendly and one qualifier at home, against Italy & France respectively. Hardly cause for outrage.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    Homer: Woo-hoo. Four-day weekend
    -
    Trappattoni+Tardelli+Brady=Holy Trinity of Irish Football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    Im no Kerr fan but i think your talking ****** aswell

He got a point against the same russian team that hammered us 4-2 under the tutelage of the Magic Mick.

You really do like to show your ignorance....Kerr lost one friendly and one qualifier at home, against Italy & France respectively. Hardly cause for outrage.
    You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm talking competitive games where we were masters of grinding out draws btw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as are you...the fact remains the only team mccarthy beat in the world cup was saudi arabia, a team which germany drubbed 8-0 the game before...shocking!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    as are you...the fact remains the only team mccarthy beat in the world cup was saudi arabia, a team which germany drubbed 8-0 the game before...shocking!!
    And which only lost 1-0 to Cameroon. So what?

I'm sure all on here would give their rights arms to go to a finals and win one and draw 3 games now.

Fact is we were never out of the top 2 in his 3 campaigns. Only Charlton has a better record. I wouldn't be ecstatic at the thoughts of him coming back right now but the rewritting of history regarding his time in charge is embarrassing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Fact is we were never out of the top 2 in his 3 campaigns. Only Charlton has a better record. I wouldn't be ecstatic at the thoughts of him coming back right now but the rewritting of history regarding his time in charge is embarrassing.
    I would be of the same opinion, leaving out what happened in Saipan (If thats at all possible )i generally liked the guy. But he had his time, and theres no point going back.
    Marge: Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
    -

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Don't forget, under McCarthy, we ground out draws at home to Lithuania, Iceland and Belgium - three results that cost us qualification for France '98. Also, McCarthy's disastrous team selections and tactics away to Croatia and Macedonia (Cascarino as lone striker, reverting to 4-5-1 in Skopje) cost us qualification for Euro 2000. Does anyone remember the Cyprus-esque near-embarrassment of Valletta in '99?

McCarthy was guilty of many of the sins that we castigate Kerr and Staunton for - only with a better, more experienced pool of players. We qualified for the 2002 WC with a healthy slice of luck - particularly in the home games against Holland and Portugal, and the fortune to draw Iran in the playoffs. Add to this the misguided favouritism he showed in his team selections... Some would say that his best team (for the away draws in Amsterdam and Lisbon) was only stumbled upon because Babb and Kennedy decided to dance on police cars in Harcourt Street. I would applaud McCarthy for what he did in that campaign, as luck can only take you so far, but the previous campaigns left a lot to be desired, particularly with the players we had available.

His management record in recent times is respectable, but I wouldn't take him back, as I think a departure from the 'old order' is badly needed.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    last time we got to a world cup

Manager - Mick McCarthy

Fact.

No matter what we said about anything or any one else

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Don't forget, under McCarthy, we ground out draws at home to Lithuania, Iceland and Belgium - three results that cost us qualification for France '98. Also, McCarthy's disastrous team selections and tactics away to Croatia and Macedonia (Cascarino as lone striker, reverting to 4-5-1 in Skopje) cost us qualification for Euro 2000. Does anyone remember the Cyprus-esque near-embarrassment of Valletta in '99?

McCarthy was guilty of many of the sins that we castigate Kerr and Staunton for - only with a better, more experienced pool of players. We qualified for the 2002 WC with a healthy slice of luck - particularly in the home games against Holland and Portugal, and the fortune to draw Iran in the playoffs. Add to this the misguided favouritism he showed in his team selections... Some would say that his best team (for the away draws in Amsterdam and Lisbon) was only stumbled upon because Babb and Kennedy decided to dance on police cars in Harcourt Street. I would applaud McCarthy for what he did in that campaign, as luck can only take you so far, but the previous campaigns left a lot to be desired, particularly with the players we had available.

His management record in recent times is respectable, but I wouldn't take him back, as I think a departure from the 'old order' is badly needed.
    To finish second in an group containing Holland and portugal is one hell of achievement cant see that happening again .. i guarnatee you we will be looking for a new manager in 2 years time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    So everything McCarthy did beforehand is beyond criticism then...? maybe we should have kept Staunton on for another two campaigns, and allowed him to gradually learn from his mistakes (as Mick was allowed to do).

Last time a team from these islands got to the semi-finals of a major international tournament? Euro 96. Who was the manager?

Terry Venables.

Fact.

Yet, for very good reasons, nobody wants him to take over the Irish job.

McCarthy can live on the 2002 WC qualification for as long as he wants, but let's judge him on the whole of his career, if we're seriously considering welcoming him back into the managerial set-up.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 27/11/2007 at 3:48 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    mc carthy qualified for one tournament in 4 - 25%
    venables none out of one - 0%

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So everything McCarthy did beforehand is beyond criticism then...? maybe we should have kept Staunton on for another two campaigns, and allowed him to gradually learn from his mistakes (as Mick was allowed to do).

Last time a team from these islands got to the semi-finals of a major international tournament? Euro 96. Who was the manager?

Terry Venables.

Fact.

Yet, for good reasons, nobody wants him to take over the Irish job.

McCarthy can live on the 2002 WC qualification for as long as he wants, but let's judge him on the whole of his career, if we're seriously considering welcoming him back into the managerial set-up.
    Great couple of points there Supreme. Looks like those rose tinted spectacles got removed from this thread.... Well at least for the length of tine it takes Tuff paddy to respond that is!!
    -

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Of course it's not beyond critcism. He made a number of mistakes and some costly ones. However, the fact is that we finished 2nd in every one of his campaigns. There's no way he would have kept his job and been allowed learn from his mistakes had we been finishing 4th or even 3rd.

That's the big difference and why the argument about giving Kerr more time didn't stack up. We've only ever topped one group and that was thanks to Gary Mackay, 2nd is as good as we've ever achieved otheriwse and he never dropped below that.
    Last edited by Drumcondra 69er; 27/11/2007 at 4:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

We've only ever topped one group and that was thanks to Gary Mackay, 2nd is as good as we've ever achieved and he never dropped below that.
    ????
    -

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ireland4ever View Post
    ????
    My bad, the word 'otherwise' has now been added!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    When McCarthy got the job, he inherited a side that had just finished 2nd in the Euro '96 qualifiers. He inherited a group of players that included the vast experience of Alan Kelly, Irwin, Staunton, Gary Kelly, Townsend, McLoughlin, Keane, McAteer, Quinn and Cascarino - most of whom were in their prime. McGrath, Houghton, Sheridan and Aldridge were past it, but aside from that, McCarthy had a lot to work with. And we still found ourselves sweating it out with Lithuania and Macedonia for second place, despite being top seeds.

What could he do with the dishevelled, unbalanced squad we now have? It's a much bigger challenge now, and we need a foreign manager who doesn't have any resonant loyalties or extra baggage.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 27/11/2007 at 4:16 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    When McCarthy got the job, he inherited a side that had just finished 2nd in the Euro '96 qualifiers. He inherited a group of players that included the vast experience of Alan Kelly, Irwin, Staunton, Gary Kelly, Townsend, McLoughlin, Keane, McAteer, Quinn and Cascarino - most of whom were in their prime. McGrath, Houghton, Sheridan and Aldridge were past it, but aside from that, McCarthy had a lot to work with. And we still found ourselves sweating it out with Lithuania and Macedonia for second place, despite being top seeds.

What could he do with the dishevelled, unbalanced squad we now have? It's a much bigger challenge now, and we need a foreign manager who doesn't have any resonant loyalties or extra baggage.
    Well he created a new team didn't he ?? One that performed quite well...
    If he did it once, why not give him an opportunity to do it again...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He didn't need to create a new team, that's my point. All he needed to do was gently introduce the likes of Cunningham, Kinsella and Given into the side, bed down a settled side (rather than those bizarre, experimental formations and erratic team-selections, like playing Staunton and Irwin as centre-backs in a 3-5-2), and it may not have taken us six years of 'transition' to get to a major tournament.

As far as I remember, there was a lot of moaning about injuries and talk of 'transition' in those early years, wasn't there? Sounds familiar.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 27/11/2007 at 4:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacktheman View Post
    last time we got to a world cup

Manager - Mick McCarthy

Fact.

No matter what we said about anything or any one else

well he did have a few MOM performances from Roy Keane during that campaign (Holland at home in particular).
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast