Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Mick McCarthy

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Nice table. Are you highlighting the relative quality in players that had to be capped by Kenny? 19 year olds starting up front who can't get a game for Norwich, League of Ireland players drafted in overnight to fill gaps. It was a shambles. You can't instill a game-plan when players are dropping like flies and barely able to train together.

But look, I genuinely can't see the words "Mick McCarthy - next Ireland manager?" again or it will bring on a hoofball induced panic attack so I'll leave ye to it. If people were happy relying on Duffy getting his head on a corner to dig us out of games or David McGoldrick having to drop into midfield to create something that's grand. I found it fairly grim myself so I'm happy enough to wait and see if Kenny can do better with a settled team.

To be honest though, I think we are in for a long and probably frustrating road on the international front. The younger lads aren't ready and the older lads aren't up to it. No striker of note, not even a decent foil like McGoldrick and our best players on paper are struggling at club level. Possibly overly pessimistic but unless the likes of Molumby, Knight, O'Shea, Idah and Connolly all develop very quickly.....we will be seeing more of the same I think, though at least we won't be blowing ridiculous sums on managers.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 07/03/2021 at 9:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Nice table. Are you highlighting the relative quality in players that had to be capped by Kenny? 19 year olds starting up front who can't get a game for Norwich, League of Ireland players drafted in overnight to fill gaps. It was a shambles. You can't instill a game-plan when players are dropping like flies and barely able to train together.

But look, I genuinely can't see the words "Mick McCarthy - next Ireland manager?" again or it will bring on a hoofball induced panic attack so I'll leave ye to it. If people were happy relying on Duffy getting his head on a corner to dig us out of games or David McGoldrick having to drop into midfield to create something that's grand. I found it fairly grim myself so I'm happy enough to wait and see if Kenny can do better with a settled team.

To be honest though, I think we are in for a long and probably frustrating road on the international front. The younger lads aren't ready and the older lads aren't up to it. No striker of note, not even a decent foil like McGoldrick and our best players on paper are struggling at club level. Possibly overly pessimistic but unless the likes of Molumby, Knight, O'Shea, Idah and Connolly all develop very quickly.....we will be seeing more of the same I think, though at least we won't be blowing ridiculous sums on managers.
    No, the table listing caps awarded by the last two managers doesn't highlight anything other than caps awarded by the last two managers
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    So Snapshot isn't a clever name? Context is important. Mccarthy and Kenny have had completely different players to pick from. Mccarthy scraped a few draws with our best 11. What would he have "achieved" with our third best? Given that McGoldrick and Duffy were his best players and both sort of haven't been there for Kenny...Im not so sure Mccarthy would be doing so much better. 
    (My final post on this, tets1979, I know I'm on your gallows).

That Kenny used "completely different players" is clearly total nonsense. You call players available to McCarthy "our best" - but "our worst" when selected by Kenny! That he used Molumby, Idah, Knight, O'Shea, Manning, Curtis etc was his stated plan.

You say Kenny has no goalscorer, presumably unlike McCarthy. McGoldrick - 14 caps, 1 goal? And why did he pick off-form, out-of-condition and tactically unsuitable Duffy?

You remain fixated by McCarthy's money. He was offered a ridiculously generous contract and he signed it - annoying but irrelevant to performances.

And I'm not biased against Stephen Kenny - he comes across as a decent, modest bloke. But I don't think he's a good international manager based on what I've seen (and read and heard) over eight games. That's crime of the century around here, apparently.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 08/03/2021 at 2:42 AM. Reason: correction to McGoldrick's caps total.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Cardiff, unbeaten in 10 matches, have awarded Mick a two-year deal at Cardiff.

How near would Kenny get to the job? Would he be within the top-50 candidates? Top 100? Top 200?

All academic.We are we're we are, I guess...
    10 Swallows don’t make a season where I come from.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Thought McCarthy was finished after his stint in Cyprus but good for him - he evidently knows what's needed for the Championship.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Thought McCarthy was finished after his stint in Cyprus but good for him - he evidently knows what's needed for the Championship.
    In fairness its a freaky set of results ( his Cardiff results at the moment ) from a manager that would probably be considered by many to be perhaps above Average to Good but not a top level manager.
    Last edited by seanfhear; 08/03/2021 at 11:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post

That Kenny used "completely different players" is clearly total nonsense. You call players available to McCarthy "our best" - but "our worst" when selected by Kenny! That he used Molumby, Idah, Knight, O'Shea, Manning, Curtis etc was his stated plan.

You say Kenny has no goalscorer, presumably unlike McCarthy. McGoldrick - 14 caps, 1 goal? And why did he pick off-form, out-of-condition and tactically unsuitable Duffy?

You remain fixated by McCarthy's money. He was offered a ridiculously generous contract and he signed it - annoying but irrelevant to performances.

And I'm not biased against Stephen Kenny - he comes across as a decent, modest bloke. But I don't think he's a good international manager based on what I've seen (and read and heard) over eight games. That's crime of the century around here, apparently.
    Nobody is on anybody's anything right now.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post

Completely different was a bit hyperbolic I'll give you that. And I'm not accusing you of any crime. Just disagreeing with you on the relative quality of McCarthy as a manager and the usefulness of judgement on Kenny at this point. I have my own concerns around Kenny, namely some of his selection choices, but I'm willing to wait a bit.

I'll leave it now and come back in another 8 games. We might be on the same page at that point!

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Appointed Blackpool manager today, in the relegation zone in the English second tier.

Had thought he was retiring after Cardiff, but good to see him back

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    A short-term contract, until the end of the season.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Seems to be moving into the Sam Allardyce/Neil Warnock role of the break glass in case of emergency option for relegation threatened Championship clubs.

To be fair to him he'll get them organised and defensively solid and give them a shot at staying up at least.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Seems to be moving into the Sam Allardyce/Neil Warnock role of the break glass in case of emergency option for relegation threatened Championship clubs.

To be fair to him he'll get them organised and defensively solid and give them a shot at staying up at least.
    They tried to get Eric Ramsay in whose a first team coach at United. Probably going for a handy pair of hands who might do a job until they can look again for a long term option in the summer.

Wouldn't be shocked if he fancied a third go at the Ireland job if the FAI are looking for a new manager come the summer.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'm sure he would but we'd be mad to go down that road again. I like Mick but he's become far too tactically conservative as he has gotten older. His Cardiff team were just awful towards the end of his time there. I'd take a gamble on Lee Carsley or someone before I'd go back to Mick.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    Unless the Ireland job is a dream job for him the U21s gig with England is a better number and he's likely paid more or the same as Kenny already. Be mad to pack that in and think in the past he's talked about preferring to work with younger players than senior football.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    To be fair if it's younger players he wants to work with the Ireland job should be ideal for him, half our squad is 25 or under!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it interested him actually. International jobs, including under 21 jobs, have a time limit on them. Especially when it's England where, as ever, expectations will be out of touch with reality. Once he has finished out the current Under 21 campaign with England it might seem a natural progression to move into a senior role, and - unless maybe he wins the Euro Under 21s outright - it's not like he's going to get the England job.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Mick leaves Blackpool by mutual consent. Didn’t go well for him there at all. Will probably end up his last gig, I’d say.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/65219737

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Sad to see. 64 years of age now, hard to believe our Captain Fantastic is that old. Disconcerting on a personal level!

Perhaps a nice low-intensity international job? Agree, his club managing days are likely behind him

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Reckon he'd make a good pundit if he wanted to go that route. Always came across a bit of a character in his media bits.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Think it's at the stage where he'd need to go beyond Europe if he's going to get another management job. Blackpool backed the wrong ageing horse, should have gone for Warnock it seems.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Think it's at the stage where he'd need to go beyond Europe if he's going to get another management job. Blackpool backed the wrong ageing horse, should have gone for Warnock it seems.
    Like him or not ~ Warnock has had some fine achievements as a manager and kept clubs in divisions that seemed unlikely at times.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast