Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 301 to 320 of 348

Thread: Mick McCarthy

  1. #301
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,783
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,455
    Thanked in
    2,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Cardiff, unbeaten in 10 matches, have awarded Mick a two-year deal at Cardiff.

    How near would Kenny get to the job? Would he be within the top-50 candidates? Top 100? Top 200?

    All academic.We are we're we are, I guess...
    Is there a purpose to this post, or is it just a random dig at Kenny?

  2. #302
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    379
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    186
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    147
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Is there a purpose to this post, or is it just a random dig at Kenny?
    Our previous manager, Mick McCarthy, has earned a long-term contract at promotion-chasing Cardiff. This is a news story for those of us who take an interest in Irish football:

    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...act-until-2023

    Have you got a problem with that?

  3. Thanks From:


  4. #303
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,409
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    617
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    571
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Mick might still be in Ireland job if he didn't sh1t his pants away to Georgia and play for a 0-0 from the start when we needed a win. I'll never forget the image of Randolph wasting time early in the 1st half of that game.

  5. Thanks From:


  6. #304
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,783
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,455
    Thanked in
    2,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Our previous manager, Mick McCarthy, has earned a long-term contract at promotion-chasing Cardiff. This is a news story for those of us who take an interest in Irish football:

    https://www.skysports.com/football/n...act-until-2023

    Have you got a problem with that?
    The only problem I have with it, is the unnecessary jibe at the current Ireland manager. It's quite frankly pathetic.

    Mick was a horrendous Ireland manager. I have a big problem with that too.

  7. Thanks From:


  8. #305
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    93
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    How much would you say Cardiff had to pay for his services? Ireland paid him double what they are paying Kenny, not including the 1.13 million euro pay off when his time ended as planned. That pay off alone would cover 2 years of Kenny.

    Do you have a list of managers you'd pay half of what McCarthy asks for?

  9. #306
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    94
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    How much would you say Cardiff had to pay for his services? Ireland paid him double what they are paying Kenny, not including the 1.13 million euro pay off when his time ended as planned. That pay off alone would cover 2 years of Kenny.

    Do you have a list of managers you'd pay half of what McCarthy asks for?
    Do you have a list of managers whose team hasn't scored in seven matches? McCarthy definitely way overpaid. To date, Kenny robbing a job.

  10. #307
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    93
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Do you have a list of managers whose team hasn't scored in seven matches? McCarthy definitely way overpaid. To date, Kenny robbing a job.
    Not a fan of Kenny but that's absolute nonsense. We barely scored under McCarthy and he had all our best players available. Sure we went 397 minutes without scoring under O'Neill. Played dire football under both of them to boot. Not scoring isn't a Kenny issue; we have no strikers, it's an Ireland issue. Who should be scoring the goals? 19 year old Adam Idah who hadn't even been available?

  11. #308
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    94
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    Not a fan of Kenny but that's absolute nonsense. We barely scored under McCarthy and he had all our best players available. Sure we went 397 minutes without scoring under O'Neill. Played dire football under both of them to boot. Not scoring isn't a Kenny issue; we have no strikers, it's an Ireland issue. Who should be scoring the goals? 19 year old Adam Idah who hadn't even been available?
    And I'm certainly no big fan of McCarthy - but he made us competitive with what was available. Kenny's strategy has confused even the players, McGoldrick has retired, two backroom staff have walked and, of course, the ridiculous Videogate circus. Selection problems have not been exclusive to us - we've played teams similarly damaged by injuries and covid. Apart from one game - it's been a shambles.

  12. #309
    First Team irishfan86's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,434
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    487
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    265
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    I doubt any manager would have done much better with the players we have had available in recent years. The criticism O’Neill and McCarthy faced at times was unfair.

    McCarthy is proving that he’s still “got it” as a manager if he has something to work with, and I’m happy to see him do well.

    I hope Kenny can bring the belief and fighting spirit back — but I suspect given how poorly we’ve done to date he will not get to keep his job for Euro qualifying unless there’s a marked improvement on what we’ve seen so far.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #310
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    94
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The only problem I have with it, is the unnecessary jibe at the current Ireland manager. It's quite frankly pathetic.

    Mick was a horrendous Ireland manager. I have a big problem with that too.
    You have a problem with a jibe aimed at Kenny, who has overseen the worst period in Irish football in at least 50 years - yet you call McCarthy, who has a proven record for club and country, a "horrendous" manager. Take a bow, that's a cracker.

  15. #311
    Capped Player nigel-harps1954's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2009
    Location
    On a dodgy bus
    Posts
    11,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,783
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,455
    Thanked in
    2,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    You have a problem with a jibe aimed at Kenny, who has overseen the worst period in Irish football in at least 50 years - yet you call McCarthy, who has a proven record for club and country, a "horrendous" manager. Take a bow, that's a cracker.
    Yes, because at least mine was somewhat relevant to the thread.

  16. #312
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    94
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Yes, because at least mine was somewhat relevant to the thread.
    Mick McCarthy being called a "horrendous" manager is not relevant to a Mick McCarthy management thread?
    Last edited by Snapshot; 05/03/2021 at 11:50 AM. Reason: grammar correction

  17. #313
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,732
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    732
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Mick McCarthy being called a "horrendous" manager is not relevant to a Mick McCarthy management thread?
    That's not what he wrote. He wrote that your opinion of Kenny was irrelevant here.
    Covid-negative, maybe; I haven't checked.

  18. #314
    Apprentice
    Joined
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    94
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    26
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    26
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    That's not what he wrote. He wrote that your opinion of Kenny was irrelevant here.
    He said a jibe at Kenny was pathetic but takes the opportunity to aim a savage jibe at McCarthy. Why is my opinion on Kenny irrelevant within that scenario?

  19. #315
    Coach John83's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    7,732
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,418
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    732
    Thanked in
    425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He said a jibe at Kenny was pathetic but takes the opportunity to aim a savage jibe at McCarthy. Why is my opinion on Kenny irrelevant within that scenario?
    What's this thread called?
    Covid-negative, maybe; I haven't checked.

  20. #316
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    136
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    93
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    77
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    And I'm certainly no big fan of McCarthy - but he made us competitive with what was available. Kenny's strategy has confused even the players, McGoldrick has retired, two backroom staff have walked and, of course, the ridiculous Videogate circus. Selection problems have not been exclusive to us - we've played teams similarly damaged by injuries and covid. Apart from one game - it's been a shambles.
    For someone who isn't a fan you're giving him an awful lot of credit while simultaneously going after his replacement.

    Were we competitive under Mick? 7 goals in 8 games with our best players available and our only top level striker still playing. Scraping wins against minnows and digging out a few draws against he giants of Denmark and Switzerland to appease the plastic hammer brigade. It was grim enough stuff and only looked an improvement when set against he backdrop of O'Neills later games which were truly dire.

    Then you go on to highlight the issues Kenny has faced in comparison but seem to be attributing him the blame for them? He's had our third string when compared to the players Mick had whilst also dealing with a rat in the camp/FAI and having no fans in the ground to boot. On top of that he is paid less than half of what McCarthy ended up getting. Dose of reality needed amongst Ireland fans these days. Plenty of people had their minds made up before a ball was kicked. I'll be waiting until he's had a fair shake and a few games with a consistent squad but even then he won't have a proper striker to call on. And I'm sure that will be his fault.

    Mick is doing well at Cardiff but was just sacked by Apoel. He's had some ups and downs.

  21. Thanks From:


  22. #317
    Seasoned Pro Razors left peg's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Just Another Emigrant
    Posts
    3,409
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    617
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    571
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    For someone who isn't a fan you're giving him an awful lot of credit while simultaneously going after his replacement.

    Were we competitive under Mick? 7 goals in 8 games with our best players available and our only top level striker still playing. Scraping wins against minnows and digging out a few draws against he giants of Denmark and Switzerland to appease the plastic hammer brigade. It was grim enough stuff and only looked an improvement when set against he backdrop of O'Neills later games which were truly dire.

    Then you go on to highlight the issues Kenny has faced in comparison but seem to be attributing him the blame for them? He's had our third string when compared to the players Mick had whilst also dealing with a rat in the camp/FAI and having no fans in the ground to boot. On top of that he is paid less than half of what McCarthy ended up getting. Dose of reality needed amongst Ireland fans these days. Plenty of people had their minds made up before a ball was kicked. I'll be waiting until he's had a fair shake and a few games with a consistent squad but even then he won't have a proper striker to call on. And I'm sure that will be his fault.

    Mick is doing well at Cardiff but was just sacked by Apoel. He's had some ups and downs.
    Super post, sums it up perfectly

  23. #318
    Reserves
    Joined
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    379
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    186
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    147
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    The only problem I have with it, is the unnecessary jibe at the current Ireland manager. It's quite frankly pathetic.

    Mick was a horrendous Ireland manager. I have a big problem with that too.
    Is calling Mick a 'horrendous manager' not an 'unnecessary jibe'? And if not, why not?

    The way he set up his team against Georgia during the last campaign was not something I agreed with, but at least we were competitive and hard to play against and beat. And now...?

    When Mick left first time round, we were 12th in the world, and our unlucky home defeat to Switzerland was our first in 18 matches.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 05/03/2021 at 9:19 PM.

  24. Thanks From:


  25. #319
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,213
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,066
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    870
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    Mick McCarthy managed tonight for the 1000th time, joins Hodgson, Allardyce, Ancelotti and a few more to reach that number. Probably at his level in the division he's in now, but still a fine achievement for the player who captained us V Italy in Rome in a WC Q/F. Well done to him.

  26. Thanks From:


  27. #320
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    19,389
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    967
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,984
    Thanked in
    2,573 Posts
    And if Connolly had put his late chance against Georgia away, he'd be hailed as a genius.
    That's football.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Mick McCarthy
    By Bray-Z in forum Ireland
    Replies: 202
    Last Post: 23/01/2021, 6:34 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 19/03/2019, 5:30 PM
  3. Mick McCarthy
    By bitored in forum Ireland
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 29/03/2004, 12:09 PM
  4. How bad is Mick McCarthy??
    By colster in forum World League Football
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 27/03/2004, 9:57 PM
  5. ode to Mick McCarthy
    By James in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29/05/2002, 1:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •