Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Charlton post Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts

Jack Charlton post Ireland

Guys I know this is only semi-related to the Irish team but why did Jack never work again in management ???
    Did no one ever come looking for him after 1995 .......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    716 Posts
    From wikipedia:
    "After failing to qualify for Euro 96, Charlton quit. His involvement in the game since has been restricted (by his own choice) to punditry and speaking."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Guys I know this is only semi-related to the Irish team but why did Jack never work again in management ???
    Did no one ever come looking for him after 1995 .......
    Before Jack finished with us at all there was an element within the Leeds United support who wanted Wilkinson gone that were pimping Jack as a natural replacement. As it happened Wilko was still at Leeds for a little under a year after Jacks Ireland career ended.

The manner of Jacks "fall" shall we call it did not put him in a great light amongst those who might've had an eye on him as a potential club manager only a couple of years earlier. Qualification for England 96 from a quite winable group was p1ssed away and it was evident and a matter of public record that there was quite serious derrogation of duty on Jacks part during that campaign.

There would have been a common enough view after he left that he was a "beaten docket" so to speak and, to be fair, I can't recall him pimping himself for any managment gigs either.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He must have been getting on a bit too. How old is he now?
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    From wikipedia:
    "After failing to qualify for Euro 96, Charlton quit. His involvement in the game since has been restricted (by his own choice) to punditry and speaking."
    I heard him do a bit of co - commentating years ago on Radio 5, on one game he must have corrected the commentator about 10 times, each time starting with the equivalent of 'you're talking rubbish'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    didnt he call connolly a "little prat" that time he got sent off against belgium. he was co commentating for channel 5 I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torn-Ado View Post
    He must have been getting on a bit too. How old is he now?
    He'd be 72 now.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    He'd be 72 now.
    Has he died??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Alive and kicking and long may he continue. They played some of an interview done yesterday with him in Cork by RTE Radio 1 and he still doesn't suffer journalists well. Put one of them right back in their box on exactly who had raised the subject of Venables ("No -YOU mentioned Terry Venables -trying to put words in me mouth").

Went on to say he reckons Venables would be fine (described 64 year old Venables as "a good lad" ) but that he doesn't think the player stock is as good as it was when he was in charge.
    Went on to blame foreigners in the premiership for all that and Englands woes too...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    sounds like a good interview! any links? hardly is
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I heard him do a bit of co - commentating years ago on Radio 5, on one game he must have corrected the commentator about 10 times, each time starting with the equivalent of 'you're talking rubbish'.
    Famous line during the Yougoslavia game (I think) when Mark Kennedy was pursuing a guy with the ball, Jack blurted "foul him!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Before Jack finished with us at all there was an element within the Leeds United support who wanted Wilkinson gone that were pimping Jack as a natural replacement. As it happened Wilko was still at Leeds for a little under a year after Jacks Ireland career ended.

The manner of Jacks "fall" shall we call it did not put him in a great light amongst those who might've had an eye on him as a potential club manager only a couple of years earlier. Qualification for England 96 from a quite winable group was p1ssed away and it was evident and a matter of public record that there was quite serious derrogation of duty on Jacks part during that campaign.

There would have been a common enough view after he left that he was a "beaten docket" so to speak and, to be fair, I can't recall him pimping himself for any managment gigs either.
    The stories of the week in Limerick prior to the Austria home game are legendary. We should have stuffed a poor Austrian side and that would have been enough to qualify directly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    that austria game really sticks out in my mind, who was that feall that scored for htem twice, opportunist goals, they did very little but we still conceded 3 against them home and away, dont know why but those games really stick out in my mind. Its a real shame he didnt get us to Euro 96, but we were well beaten against holland and other teams in teh group itself, change was required.

At the end of the day, those who chastise jack and give out about him, he got us to 3 major championships, no one bettered, and prolly never will. He did a brilliant job and if we got half of hte success we had under him now i would bite yer hand off. Anyone who differs is a fool and an ignorant narrow-minded one at that. simple as that. Denying Brady the chance to play in the biggest games of his career was probably was probably the only real big mistake he ever made. Something that should never have happened but...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    that austria game really sticks out in my mind, who was that feall that scored for htem twice, opportunist goals, they did very little but we still conceded 3 against them home and away, dont know why but those games really stick out in my mind. Its a real shame he didnt get us to Euro 96, but we were well beaten against holland and other teams in teh group itself, change was required.

At the end of the day, those who chastise jack and give out about him, he got us to 3 major championships, no one bettered, and prolly never will. He did a brilliant job and if we got half of hte success we had under him now i would bite yer hand off. Anyone who differs is a fool and an ignorant narrow-minded one at that. simple as that. Denying Brady the chance to play in the biggest games of his career was probably was probably the only real big mistake he ever made. Something that should never have happened but...
    Toni Polster it was. The little sh1t!

I aagree with you apart from the Brady bit? Brady was suspended for the first 2 games of Euro 88 due to his red card against Bulgaria in the qualifiers. No clean slate for the finals in those days. As it happens he was injured for the finals in any case but joined the squad as a non playing member. He'd have been in the squad for the Holland game had he been fit.

You're not suggesting he should have been in the Italia '90 squad surely?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I aagree with you apart from the Brady bit? Brady was suspended for the first 2 games of Euro 88 due to his red card against Bulgaria in the qualifiers. No clean slate for the finals in those days. As it happens he was injured for the finals in any case but joined the squad as a non playing member. He'd have been in the squad for the Holland game had he been fit.
    I thought it was one game ban sorry. I also thought brady was fit for the holland game?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I thought it was one game ban sorry. I also thought brady was fit for the holland game?!
    Nah, definite 2 game ban, UEFA screwed him. Am certain he was injured though, a recuurance of the knee injury he got playing for West Ham in 87 if I recall correctly. Same injury finally finished his career.

The Chalrton / Brady controversy was when he subbed him in 89 in a friendly after 35 minutes as he thought his legs had gone. Brady reckoned he should have waited till half time. He was knackered by then though, his knees had gone. He only played once more, a warm up game against Finland for the 90 WC that also served as his testimonial but that was the only reason he was in the squad. Townsend replaced him after 25 minutes. They awarded caps for it though as far as I know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    He actually got a 4 match ban which was reduced to two on appeal.

As you say, it didnt matter as he got injured.

Still wonder how we would have done with Brady, Lawrenson and Beglin all fit in 88.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Why did Jack need to work when he made so much money out of the Ireland job? Think if he went back to management it would have been for another international team rather than a club. I think international management suited him better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    He actually got a 4 match ban which was reduced to two on appeal.

As you say, it didnt matter as he got injured.

Still wonder how we would have done with Brady, Lawrenson and Beglin all fit in 88.
    Yeah, remember it well, there was uproar when the 4 match ban was announced, even 2 was harsh. The injury was an awful shame though, would've loved to have seen him get at least one game at a major championships.

I honestly think had we held on against Holland we could have won that tournament even without the 3 players you mention. Holland would have been out, themselves and Russia contested the final and we battered Russia in our gamne against them despite the 1-1 scoreline. McGraths header against Holland and Aldo not getting the rebound, think that moment us burnt onto my brain along with that poxy offside goal they got!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viagogo View Post
    Why did Jack need to work when he made so much money out of the Ireland job? Think if he went back to management it would have been for another international team rather than a club. I think international management suited him better.
    Not strictly true. Jack was at one point on an IR£50,000 "retainer" from the FAI ...So his actual salary was modest enough.
    This, it is estimated, he topped up to the tune of half a million PA in endorsement gigs and appearances garnered from his being the 'Big Jack' persona.
    I'd say a qualified fair play to him but for the fact that he (mis)managed to go off on so many of these earners when he was supposed to be prepping a squad for qualifiers. Limerick, which largely can't even be discussed here because I can't afford a solicitor, is a case in point. (Anyone from the south Monaghan/north Louth area will have more than a decent idea what I'm talking about as well.) Suffice to say what's already long in the public domain -that Jack was leaving the squad headquarters and putting his son John in charge.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast