Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jack Charlton post Ireland

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Yeah, remember it well, there was uproar when the 4 match ban was announced, even 2 was harsh. The injury was an awful shame though, would've loved to have seen him get at least one game at a major championships.

I honestly think had we held on against Holland we could have won that tournament even without the 3 players you mention. Holland would have been out, themselves and Russia contested the final and we battered Russia in our gamne against them despite the 1-1 scoreline. McGraths header against Holland and Aldo not getting the rebound, think that moment us burnt onto my brain along with that poxy offside goal they got!
    Every tournament we qualified for, one or more of our best players were unavailable, mostly due to injuries.

I am not sure we could have won Euro 88. The one I think we could have won or done well in was Euro 92. The team was at its peak but failed to qualify by a whisker. Oh, that Houghton miss at Wembley in the last few minutes.
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 29/11/2007 at 10:58 AM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Isnt Jack not working in Harry Ramsdens now, presiding over the famous 'Harrys Challenge'
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Every tournament we qualified for, one or more of our best players were unavailable, mostly due to injuries.

I am not sure we could have won Euro 88. The one I thing we could have won or done well in was Euro 92. The team was at its peak but failed to qualify by a whisker. Oh, that Houghton miss at Wembley in the last few minutes.
    Yep, have always thought that myself. Not to mention O'Leary's faffing about with the ball instead of booting it to the stands last 10 minutes away to Poland. We'd have been in the semis in Euro 88, win that and we'd have played Russia in the final, anything could have happened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Yes Euro92 was our 'golden generation'.

Always felt that had we qualified, we could have won it.

Remember throwing something at the television when that big eared c*nt Lineker scored. I was living in London and had to watch their game.

A few months later I was sitting in Graham Taylor's office at Lancaster Gate and I wanted to defecate it, Bobby Sands style. Would have lost my job though.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The one I think we could have won or done well in was Euro 92. The team was at its peak but failed to qualify by a whisker. Oh, that Houghton miss at Wembley in the last few minutes.
    Great point. Charlton took us on an upward curve through 88 and 90 and it reached its peak with the 4-5-1 formation towards the end of the 92 qualifying campaign. We battered England, Poland and Turkey away and were just really unlucky to only win one of those three games.

We started going downhill midway through the next campaign and just scraped into the 94 WC. By the the time of the infamous 96 qualifiers the wheels were off the wagon (as alluded to in many previous posts).

My memories of his last game are us chasing Dutch shadows with 4 full backs on the pitch and at the final whistle a bemused Charlton saluting the Irish kop waving a Dutch flag.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Think it was Stoger and not Polster who scored the hattrick against us in Vienna
    I

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Great point. Charlton took us on an upward curve through 88 and 90 and it reached its peak with the 4-5-1 formation towards the end of the 92 qualifying campaign. We battered England, Poland and Turkey away and were just really unlucky to only win one of those three games.

We started going downhill midway through the next campaign and just scraped into the 94 WC. By the the time of the infamous 96 qualifiers the wheels were off the wagon (as alluded to in many previous posts).

My memories of his last game are us chasing Dutch shadows with 4 full backs on the pitch and at the final whistle a bemused Charlton saluting the Irish kop waving a Dutch flag.
    In fairness we started the Euro 96 qualifiers very well, 4-0 against the North and we'd also beaten Portugal at home. It was the home draw against teh North that the wheels really started coming off.

And it was an Irish flag, it was just rolled up and the orange section was the only bit showing!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    Think it was Stoger and not Polster who scored the hattrick against us in Vienna
    True, Polster got 2 at Lansdowne. Think he got 11 that campaign and still wasn't top scorer as Suker got the record that Healy just broke with 12.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am not sure we could have won Euro 88. The one I think we could have won or done well in was Euro 92. The team was at its peak but failed to qualify by a whisker. Oh, that Houghton miss at Wembley in the last few minutes.

yeah Euro 92 was a real low alright....i remember watching us throw away that 2 goal lead in Poland...its gas that it was unthinkable for an Irish team to do that at the time but its second nature to us now!!
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    yeah Euro 92 was a real low alright....i remember watching us throw away that 2 goal lead in Poland...its gas that it was unthinkable for an Irish team to do that at the time but its second nature to us now!!
    Charlton's infamous quote after the game "..a draw is better than a win.."

He was alluding to the fact that Poland had something to play for against England the following month.

Remember back in those days you only played SIX matches not twelve. SO one slip up and you were fcuked. And only one qualified.

We slipped up against the Poles at home (0-0).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand, Johnny Giles Ireland, Mick McCarthy Steve Stuanton, Cascarioino!

I love that song
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand, Johnny Giles Ireland, Mick McCarthy Steve Stuanton, Cascarioino!

I love that song
    Who's the odd one out.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    does houghton not come at the end there?! i never knew stephen ireland played then....or was that just the random word thrown in to make it sound good
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    In fairness we started the Euro 96 qualifiers very well, 4-0 against the North and we'd also beaten Portugal at home. It was the home draw against teh North that the wheels really started coming off.
    Chronology is wrong. We drew with NI in March and were possibly lucky to hold on because we didn't press on after the first goal. I still believe a better, leaner, non-hippo-trying-to-fly-resembling goalkeeper than Kelly would've kept Dowies header out too. But that was incidental anyway as the whole team was sitting back.

We then beat Portugal 1-0 in April, the last really good performance of the Charlton era. The wheels came off in late May, early June when we went to Liechtenstein and Limerick.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Chronology is wrong. We drew with NI in March and were possibly lucky to hold on because we didn't press on after the first goal. I still believe a better, leaner, non-hippo-trying-to-fly-resembling goalkeeper than Kelly would've kept Dowies header out too. But that was incidental anyway as the whole team was sitting back.

We then beat Portugal 1-0 in April, the last really good performance of the Charlton era. The wheels came off in late May, early June when we went to Liechtenstein and Limerick.
    Sorry, you're right, was heading to Oz around then, Portugal was my last game of that campaign, never saw Lichtenstein, still haven't seen it to this day, want to keep it that way! Same with the Austria home game.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Wasnt this George Hamiltons fault. Think I remember him saying when Ireland were 3-1 up that there is no way Ireland would leave in two goals followed by "Oh Danger here"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

......The one I think we could have won or done well in was Euro 92. The team was at its peak but failed to qualify by a whisker. Oh, that Houghton miss at Wembley in the last few minutes.
    No Dave O'Leary giving the ball away twice once when we were 3-1 ahead the next time when we were 3-2 ahead, both of which led to Polish goals and a 3-3 away to them was where the REAL damage was done!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,268 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I still believe a better, leaner, non-hippo-trying-to-fly-resembling goalkeeper than Kelly would've kept Dowies header out too.
    Bit harsh on Kelly - quality keeper, and that was the first international goal he'd conceded in something like his fifth game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    We...just scraped into the 94 WC.
    Bit harsh also - we did knock out the reigning European champions, were robbed in Spain and got 12 points from six games against the minnows, which is a lot more impressive than it sounds, especially when you consider we had to travel to three countries very recently out of communism and very difficult places to visit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post

I love that song
    We're going to start a fire, right. I would love to get my hands on that song. Can't download or buy it anywhere. Any tips??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
    Johnny Giles, Ireland
    Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
    Cascarino
    Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
    Packie doesn't let em in
    North of Ireland
    South of Ireland
    Only one can go
    this has been used before by the fai to appoint managers.

"i cant think of anyone lets have a look at the auld song?"
    "mcCarthy is next in line"

"here john will we use the the old song again now that we've sacked kerr, i mean it got us mick and he did alright"
    "but stan is next on the song, he's laying cones at walsall and i've promised a world class management team"
    "use the song john"
    "hello can get the number for walsall football club? no not warsaw, walsall with an 'l'?"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast