Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full time vs part time

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Full time vs part time

This season ended expectedly with the clubs with money in the top 3, rovers over performing and cork/derry under performing. Galway non existent

Next season will the gulf exist? Will the full time teams be the top 5 ? Will rovers and all their part time signings implode into chaos or explode into brilliance.

Bascially will the teams with money rule the league and the others be left behind creating 2 leagues in one the haves and the have nots.

The EL is entering a stage that everyone wanted it to, you have 2 clubs with millionarie owners and clubs with land sale ensuring they can compete with the rich clubs. And you have part time clubs also hoping to compete with clubs who can have any of their players (should they choose to go fulltime).

Afaik there has never been 2 leagues in the EL prem the last 20 league winners show that, now next season we all hope for a league without * but can the part time clubs compete with the full time clubs?

kdjac
    5-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The wage cap will level things a bit but the clubs with money have always done better than those without.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    i think the gap is getting bigger between the part timers and the full timers. the fulltime teams have the money,and will continue to spend it, while some part time clubs will strive to just make ends meet. i agree that the fulltime setups being installed are fantastic, but clubs will be left behind without investment, as going full time, and without financial investment.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would imagine that there will be a big enough gap between the full-timers plus Rovers, and the rest of the table next year.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    I dont necessarily think the teams with money will dominate, we ourselves have proved that teams on a limited budget can challenege. I think ourselves and Cork will be in it next season along with the Top 3 this season.

As for PT/FT, there is a gap. Rovers will probably dominate the part-time teams, I expect Harps to finish mid-table. The full-time clubs will shine through in the end like the season past.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by City till I Die View Post
    The full-time clubs will shine through in the end like the season past.

Do you think Galway United managed to shine through last season?
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No Galway United's League position called into question the full-time decision. However some could argue given you didn't go down it was justified to a small degree, but probably not to the extent the protagonists for the idea within the board would have hoped!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Do you think Galway United managed to shine through last season?
    No because your squad wasnt good enough. Look at when Rovers were challenging for the league, they eventually fell away and lo and behold, 3 full-time clubs finished ahead of them. We wernt good enough either, thats why we didnt shine through, along with the turmoil of a season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    But what's happening at City next season? As far as I can tell your chairman has resigned and your manager doesn't know if he's being kept on or not. There looks to be no-one to fund player signings at the moment and quite a few of your better players look to be leaving.

I'd be targeting Derry along with Sligo and Rovers as teams United can climb above next season.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    But what's happening at City next season? As far as I can tell your chairman has resigned and your manager doesn't know if he's being kept on or not. There looks to be no-one to fund player signings at the moment and quite a few of your better players look to be leaving.

I'd be targeting Derry along with Sligo and Rovers as teams United can climb above next season.
    Our board of directors are in place until 6th December where they will stand down at the AGM. Until then they can still make decisions which affect the club. Robertson has been given 2 weeks off to clear his head and decide what he is going to do(which incidentally he returns on the day of the AGM).

The new board will be elected at the AGM AFAIK. At the minute things are as normal until after the AGM. So target all you like, we will be in better shape next season, regardless of who our manager is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    We'll do ok next year i know it. we'll stay up. The difference in full and part time is massive IMO
    COBH RAMBLERS FIRST DIV CHAMPS 2007

http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/GameDayDetails fantastic website by tetsujin1979

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I think the difference between full time and part time is getting bigger bit by bit every year. Also with the full time clubs being the ones with the most money they are able to attract part time players of other clubs to give up their jobs. Training full time has huge benefits as well come the end of the season, for example Rovers seemed to collapse in the final stretch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Rovers might be the exception as they are the biggest part-time club and therefore able to attract the best players who do not want to go full-time. In fact there is an argument that for this very reason it suits Rovers to remain Part time as even if they could manage a full time squad, it would be unlikely they could compete in the player market with Drogs, Bohs, Pats and Cork.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    If the full-time clubs can't finish above the part-time ones they'd want to get shot of their manager.

Its simply a reflection of Paul Doolins poor management ability that Drogs haven't won the League before now given their huge expenditure. By the same token, Derry's finish this season was a disgrace given our wage bill and full-time status.

Unless things change, Pats, Bohs and Drogs should be miles ahead next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to part-time soon.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Pats, Bohs & Drogs should be making up the top places of the league, given their expenditure. I think where full time becomes questionable when you look at the likes of Galway and Sligo. I'm really not sure there's the players at the wage levels they're paying. There's better players not willing to go full time. This may change in the future, but all clubs that have gone full time have lost players not willing to go full time and replaced them with players not as good.

Since our implosion, and with so many teams going full time, Rovers have some pick of players with little competition. I would agree with Bohs Partisan in that Rovers are in a great position as things stand. Sustainable club, not much competition driving up wages, large pick of part time players. It's a a load of arse that we're not in a position to do likewise - realism a few years earlier and we could've been...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Shamrock Rovers next season will have the best part time players in the league (large catchment area) so will have no disadvantage over fulltime clubs. I think when clubs/players move to fulltime it takes a while for them to adjust - maybe Galway will improve next season.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Shamrock Rovers next season will have the best part time players in the league (large catchment area) so will have no disadvantage over fulltime clubs. I think when clubs/players move to fulltime it takes a while for them to adjust - maybe Galway will improve next season.
    But Rovers still have limit on their budget. Signing the best 16 part time players wouldn't cost much less than signing 16 full timers. Their signings so far have been mixed IMO. Maguire is a class act and better than most full time centre halves but Sean O'Connor was never anything more than a bit part player for us, even when we were rubbish. In no way could he be described as being one of the best part time players.

Bray have signed Kevin Doherty and Dara Pender, both of whom I'd rate highly enough.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    It was always going to take at least a year for our squad to improve given the large number of signings and the majority coming from a Part Time background but on saying that we only got beaten by more than one goal three times all season.

I expect us to move up this season to be in the top 6 if not higher.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufct View Post
    It was always going to take at least a year for our squad to improve given the large number of signings and the majority coming from a Part Time background
    same could be said of Pats
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    same could be said of Pats
    Yes but we were coming up with a squad of first division footballers. They may have been full-time last season but many of them were not premier division standard. Most of those have now been let go so hopefully we can replace them with genuinely premier division quality players and improve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast