Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ministers on drugs (allegedly)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Ministers on drugs (allegedly)

Choosing my words carefully here for obvious reasons.

I am troubled by events of recent weeks. As I underdtand it a journalist made a set of claims about drug taking in the higher strata of society, including a pilot and, more a government minister.

Since then, all of the response to this allegation has been "process" related i.e. did she have a tape, when was the tape made, how was it made, who is this journo, who did she tell about the tape etc etc etc etc etc

Now, clearly I have no idea whether the actual story is true or not - I would be surprised if she made it up but clearly we don't know.

What troubles me is that if the story was true and the powers that be knew it to be true, this is precisely the strategy that would be employed to "defned" the allegation.

For the government to truly deal with this, they could announce that they have interviewed every minister and have confirmed that every minister had confirmed that they were non users.

That is highlky unlikely to happen, however, as a) there is every chance the story is true, b) under privacy laws, it would probably be illegal, c) nobody would agree to it.

I am reminded of the famous West Wing episode - this smells.
    DB Cooper is alive !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The responce from the goverment is ridiculous they had the minister for drugs on darcy and he said no way woul dany one i the goverment be taking coke .

Sounded like the Irish mammy saying my johnny isnt like that.

Of course someone in there has or is taking coke its so wide spread and the fact they found traces of coke on the back of the toilets , but the pitch fork and torch mentality of the general irish public makes it impossible for him to admit it and keep his job.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    True or not, unless the journalist has concrete proof (like recovering the missing tape or finding notes from the interview) the allegation won't stick.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    True or not, unless the journalist has concrete proof (like recovering the missing tape or finding notes from the interview) the allegation won't stick.
    Catch 22... Release the tape and never have a confidential source talk to her again, and have her career ruined. Or destroy the tape so it can't be recovered (a la the Irish Times), have the Government smear her rather than deal with the issue, and have her career ruined.

Should be easy enough to spot who it is anyway - pick the Ministers that are arrogant, are adamant they can do no wrong, shout down those that disagree, and can't stop talking sh!te. Should narrow the field a bit...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post

Should be easy enough to spot who it is anyway - pick the Ministers that are arrogant, are adamant they can do no wrong, shout down those that disagree, and can't stop talking sh!te. Should narrow the field a bit...
    Well its also an appetite suppressant, so that's probably Harney and Cowen in the clear, and I'm sure neither of the Green ministers would do such an unethicaly produced substance, so that narrows it down a bit.
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I think the book that used this "claim" to boost sales was fairly useless. RTE were pathetic to base a 2 part tv show on it. Is it really news that middle class people take drugs?

Apparently as of last weekend the book had sold 3,500 copies. The author originally claimed she had a tape to back up this claim about a Minister. RTE initially claimed they has heard the tape & now everyone denies they said that
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'd be more concerned abou the amount of over the counter medication the politicians are taking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    If it's supposed to be going on for weeks, I genuinely heard nothing of this until I read the title of this thread..

I am waiting for a Primetime show with "they must all resign now in their own blood to sniff out the culprit" anytime soon.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I can think of a fair few politicians who should be taking drugs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I saw one of those High Society programmes (the first one I think) and if that was anything to go by this story has little factual basis. (it is the same wan isn't it?) Publicity stunt most like.

What an awful programme that was. It was more like a film than investigative journalism. Best (ie funniest) part was the bit on the well-to-do BMW-driving 30-something accountant, or the like, who went to his mother to get a €6,000 loan to pay off the a drug dealer. Laughable.

As for ministers, I'd have no major problem if they did. In most cases, like the pilot, you might say ok once it's not during work, but with TDs it'd be the opposite, think how much better Oireachtas TV would be! That classic Streets line comes to mind; 'imagine the world's leaders on pills.....'

Hmmm which politician would you most like to sip a few pints/do a line/drop a pill etc with?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Our former Minister for Justice on Charlie given that it makes people even more arrogant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofstan View Post
    Well its also an appetite suppressant, so that's probably Harney and Cowen in the clear, and I'm sure neither of the Green ministers would do such an unethicaly produced substance, so that narrows it down a bit.
    Probably rules Lenihan out as well ....Dempsey is relatively trim mind ...has the vacant stare of a hardened glue-sniffer as well.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Can we knock the speculation on the head now please? Unless you're willing to back it up in a court of law, of course.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Can we knock the speculation on the head now please? Unless you're willing to back it up in a court of law, of course.
    With tapes and contempurous notes obviously
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It was sensation stuff alright without back up she lost her side of the story.

I don't doubt the issue itself, in a country where prescription drugs, alcohol etc. are abused by every part of society in numbers that are not quantified it would lead me to believe that another one to that list is not that far from reality.

However to sensationalise the issue has made her point trivial.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    The main reason to be skeptical is that she has come from nowhere as an investigative journalist and regardless of whether its true or not, there is no rational explanation for why a Government minister would speak to her (never mind a nun!).

I've no doubt half the country is on coke (there's enough bs being talked to indicate as much) but I'm not convinced she's legit.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This "story" even made the Observer yesterday which afaik does not have an Irish edition.

The author was mentioning how she was thinking of destroying the tape recording (Minister wanted a copy him/herself) as she felt uncomfortable keeping he tape. She suggested shadowy figures had been lurking around her garden. Laughable stuff, I think she is hyping a movie deal.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    She suggested shadowy figures had been lurking around her garden. Laughable stuff, I think she is hyping a movie deal.
    Think she suggested a certain newspaper was hanging around her garden - they refute it, but won't sue, so make of that what you will.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    The main reason to be skeptical is that she has come from nowhere as an investigative journalist and regardless of whether its true or not, there is no rational explanation for why a Government minister would speak to her (never mind a nun!).

I've no doubt half the country is on coke (there's enough bs being talked to indicate as much) but I'm not convinced she's legit.

He was all coked up ! Rational doesnt come into it ..

I was talking to a guy coked off his head one night he was telling me how there are only 2 song writters better than him in the world !!! and he didnt have Bob Dylan in his list
    Last edited by anto1208; 27/11/2007 at 10:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    To be honest I did'nt have a problem with the stories such as the accountant going to his mother for a lend of €6000 to pay off a drug dealer.I am in recovery for Alcohol myself so being surrounded by addiction(meetings, aftercare etc) I hear crazy stories every week that would make the hair stand on end.Thats the madness of addiction though and therein lies the problem with the programme.If it was a programme on addiction then fair enough but as a programme on the effects of coke most people would have laughed at it as OTT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast