0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The "A" Championship

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    I am, and cheers MM, you're a gent and a scholar!
    That's my mot du jour every day for this week.

Passed your way Tuesday night, but was in a bit of a rush to get to that horror show in Donegal.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MyTown View Post
    Start rubbing your hands Ltid - I can't see anything other than competitive rivalry at play....... if they are successful in their applicaltions.
    Surely that's self defeating for all concerned though??

Makes no sense

Sort of like the Junior v Senior rivalry we've had here since the year dot only on a grander scale.

A city the size of Galway with three LoI clubs

Are we talking friendly rivalry or bitter?? Don't ye use their facilities for training/u-21s???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stann View Post
    I am, and cheers MM, you're a gent and a scholar!
    That's my mot du jour every day for this week.

Passed your way Tuesday night, but was in a bit of a rush to get to that horror show in Donegal.
    The bed offer has now been withdrawn for calling me a gent. You can have the rabbit hutch in the back garden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    The bed offer has now been withdrawn for calling me a gent. You can have the rabbit hutch in the back garden.
    Ahem, the men are trying to have a talk about the A league here

On an aside, is this the biggest thread in the history of the Mons forum??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Surely that's self defeating for all concerned though??

Makes no sense

Sort of like the Junior v Senior rivalry we've had here since the year dot only on a grander scale.

A city the size of Galway with three LoI clubs

Are we talking friendly rivalry or bitter?? Don't ye use their facilities for training/u-21s???

There's a view in some quarters around here that the Applications might not be successful for the very sensible reasons you point out. Against that BOTH clubs are very well connected politically and have benefitted hugely from the public purse under the regime running the country for the past decade or so ( no prizes for guessing I'm a Michael D supporter )

My reference to you rubbing your hands was meant to indicate the rivalry would be less-than-friendly.

It's a difficult one to work out tbh. Junior football in Galway has a strong tradition. Clubs can't make up their minds whether they want the senior club to be successful or not. There is a lot of hypocrisy and lip service paid to "partnership" imho. GUFC is basically beholden to the Galway & District League as my club are tenants in the beautiful Terryland Park. (Yes we pay the rent). We are also tenants of Salthill Devon's state-of-the art Training facility & the Galway & District League occupy 30% of the seats on the Board of GUFC.

Obviously, Galwegians want to see Galwegians in the senior team, and over the years there have been some notable successes in this regard. But the majority of last season's squad ( and presumably next seasons squad), while based in Galway, are not native Galwegians. The Junior clubs are angry if their best talent is "lost" to Galway United, and angry if their best talent either doesn't make the grade or, in their view, doesn't get a fair shake in the senior ranks.

Browsing through some of the L37 threads, it seems the 'problem' isn't unique to ourselves.

Note to Magicme:

On the day a Monaghan man gets installed as supremo of the GAA, the least I can do is vote 'Yes' on your poll, having hogged your forum for a while this morning. To pararphrase Bruce Forsyth on Strictly Come Dancing: You're my favourite team for promotion next season.
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Probably! Am gonna start loads and loads of threads with Polls coz they seem popular!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Thanks My Town. That self same GAA Supremo was one of the 2 suppliers of LTID & his mates tickets to the Hurling final. The other source was an Ex President of the GAA. I have friends in high places so it pays to know me!

Your brown-nosing has been duly noted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Browsing through some of the L37 threads, it seems the 'problem' isn't unique to ourselves
    It's actually probably far worse down here as our Junior League is probably the strongest in the country and down through the years, rather than lip service, some clubs have actively opposed our existence

BTW we are also tenants in the beautiful Jackman Park and tenants in Hill Celtics state of the art training facilities at Hogan Park

Could there ever be a situation where Salthill turf you out because of rivalry??

Or worse, the Galway District league turf you out of Terryland and decide to use one of the other clubs as anchor tenants??

Looks like you could be getting ready to feel at least a small portion of our pain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    That self same GAA Supremo was one of the 2 suppliers of LTID & his mates tickets to the Hurling final. The other source was an Ex President of the GAA. I have friends in high places so it pays to know me!
    A true gent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    God I cant believe this. I have dreamed of this moment. A Galway Fan and a Limerick Fan holding sensible conversation and finding common ground. It could only happen in the Mons forum!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    God I cant believe this. I have dreamed of this moment. A Galway Fan and a Limerick Fan holding sensible conversation and finding common ground. It could only happen in the Mons forum!
    It's like locking two opposing parties in an empty room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I wonder will I be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for bring you guys together?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I wonder will I be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for bring you guys together?
    I'd have my doubts

Afterall, only one of us is coming out of the empty room alive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The serious point is that I would like to see Limerick restored to the level of their great sides (circa 1980s)...it's an hour by road again (after being at least 90 minutes for the last 10 years) and the rail service kicks in in a couple of years.

Ltid: I'm not addressing the last issues you posted in detail for the simple reason that they are just too close to the bone.

Sod this I'm outta here...unless of course we make it to an All-Ireland Final next September..in which case....
    Less Whining
    Less Moaning

What are YOU doing to make it better?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Ltid: I'm not addressing the last issues you posted in detail for the simple reason that they are just too close to the bone.
    Ooh juicy

Interesting times in Galway........

And you're going nowhere

*takes out assault rifle ruining Magicmes nobel prize hopes*

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Consider it cheerfully withdrawn then. I don't like rabbits, am with Father Jack on that one.

This should in no way be considered a contribution to the rather serious conversation going on elsewhere, more an attempt to get the thread to three pages.
    Last edited by stann; 23/11/2007 at 12:17 PM.
    more bass

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Could there ever be a situation where Salthill turf you out because of rivalry??

Or worse, the Galway District league turf you out of Terryland and decide to use one of the other clubs as anchor tenants??

Looks like you could be getting ready to feel at least a small portion of our pain
    i cannot see a scenario where both salthill and mervue get into the A league, perhaps one has an outside chance but definately not both, as you said there would be no need for 3 teams playing senior football in galway.

i wouldn't think that salthill would 'turf us out' as we pay rent for the use of the facilities. essentially they would be 2 divisions below and be a part time set up (training in the evenings etc) while we will, presumably remain full time. if the league set up is as per magicme's suggestion then i reckon the A team will be a mixture of u20s and fringe players/lads coming back from injury. GUFC u21s havent used salthill facilities for the past 2 years at least(dont know if there is a particular reason).

as regards terryland, neither salthill nor mervue could ever attract a crowd large enough to have the Galway District League consider them replacing GUFC. however should either club gain promotion to the first/premier division then there could always be the possibility of a ground share (alternative weeks ... etc).

Last edited by galwayhoop; 23/11/2007 at 11:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12