Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris McCann

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Chris McCann

From the Irish Independent 21/11/07

"The non-appearance of Burnley midfielder Chris McCann's name on the Irish team-sheet caused a surprise before kick-off.

Ex-Home Farm youngster McCann is understood to have opted to leave the squad altogether after being omitted from the starting line-up. He had been an unused substitute against Montenegro on Friday in a game that was his first competitive call-up to this level."

Supposed to be quite a good prospect but a bit of tantrum throwing there considering the Montenegro game was his first.

Is it Don Givens at it again or a big kid throwing his toys out of his pram? Who knows perhaps Givens should have given him a run against Montenegro but this time looks like McCann needs to grow up.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley. Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game. Toys out of pram time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Is it just me or is the new generation of pampered Celtic Tiger paddies in badly need of a good kick up the hole?
    No it's not just you . Let's buy a pair of hobnail boots each shall we?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley
    In fairness he's playing at a higher level more regularly than almost any of the others in that squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Cool

Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game.
    That is true actually
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    In fairness he's playing at a higher level more regularly than almost any of the others in that squad.
    Does that give him the right to walk straight into the starting XI , when due to circumstances outside HIS Control, Don Givens did not have the opportunity to see him going through his paces in Montenegro? Given the Under 21's finally won a game , it seems Don got the substitutions right on the night. Mc Cann could have been the man if he hadn't thrown a strop!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Does that give him the right to walk straight into the starting XI , when due to circumstances outside HIS Control, Don Givens did not have the opportunity to see him going through his paces in Montenegro? Given the Under 21's finally won a game , it seems Don got the substitutions right on the night. Mc Cann could have been the man if he hadn't thrown a strop!
    Probably not but I worry about Givens to be honest. Not only does he fall out with every decent player we have at U21 level but (and this is the most important part) he's a sh*te manager also. Needs to go, he's a big part of the current problem at senior level as the losing mentality seems to follow the young players from the U21 squad into the senior team.

At the end of the day McCann and Garvan should have been in that team for a long time now ahead of some of the drivel that he regularly plays in midfield and if that was the case these problems wouldn't occur (and as a bonus we'd probably get some decent results if we actually played our best 11 like most other countries).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    There are some good comments on the "Falling Out With Don givens" thread.

Personally I think his results have been atrocious but I'm more than happy for him to stand up to upstarts and to voice his disdain at 31 year olds retiring from international football.

McCann is a good player though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    the new generation of pampered Celtic Tiger paddies in badly need of a good kick up the hole?
    Totally agree.

The Sky commentators were full of praise for the Irish midfield and Gleeson even won man of the match so let the little sh*t walk away if he wants.Whatever happened to pride in being involved in your national team squad in any way.

Dont need him so let him go!

Goodbye Chris and dont even darken these shores again!
    Bohs Will Be Back!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    At the end of the day McCann and Garvan should have been in that team for a long time now ahead of some of the drivel that he regularly plays in midfield and if that was the case these problems wouldn't occur (and as a bonus we'd probably get some decent results if we actually played our best 11 like most other countries).
    Agreed, and furthermore I'm convinced we'd have beaten the German U19s at Dalymount if Garvan hadn't been totally overlooked. We'd be in a European finals. I can't understand why McCann has featured so infrequently for us at any underage level.

As an example, surely it's better to have Andy Keogh being played in position for the U21s than playing wide right for the seniors, especially when there are older players playing at at least the same standard (e.g., Yeates) who are excelling wide right at club level.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 21/11/2007 at 9:39 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

From eleven-a-side.com

After the game, manager Don Givens said: “The background was that Chris McCann came to me at 5.15pm and said he didn’t want to be in the squad tonight. It was a waste of time him being here.

“He travelled to Montenegro and did not take part. He wasn’t in the starting line-up tonight and he didn’t want to be in the squad. I said to him ’have a think about it because it is obviously going to affect your future’.

“He said that he didn’t want to be in so I said to pack his things and go. I regret now that he hadn’t told me earlier because I’d have got somebody else on the bench. I’d have got a local boy in.

“I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here’s a kid who doesn’t want to be there. I can never understand anybody that doesn’t want to pull on the green shirt.

“I don’t know the boy very well. He trained fine. There was no problem with his training in Dublin or here. As soon as the team was announced I wish he’d come to me then.”

Asked about the player’s future at international level, Givens replied: “Will I pick him again? Would you?”

An apology is all it'd take as far as I'm concerned. 20 year olds aren't always the smartest, let alone 20 year old footballers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    As an example, surely it's better to have Andy Keogh being played in position for the U21s than playing wide right for the seniors, especially when there are older players playing at at least the same standard (e.g., Yeates) who are excelling wide right at club level.
    Excellent point re: Yeates and Keogh. Staunton banging on about how many lads he has brought through but did he bring through the right ones and for the right positions? Yeates and Tabb spring to mind for the RM slot....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Staunton banging on about how many lads he has brought through but did he bring through the right ones and for the right positions? Yeates and Tabb spring to mind for the RM slot....
    I always thought his youth selection was haphazard and indiscriminate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Had to double check that he wasn't a Corkman
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd go further and say it was pure sh*te. How is Alan O'Brien doing again? Why was Gibson (a reserve team Man U footballer) and Potter (a very average Championship midfielder) in squads before Garvan?

you could nearly find an example for every position on the pitch (bar CB maybe) - Carr in the squad ahead of someone like Foley, Alan O'Brien ahead of Hunt, Gibson/Douglas ahead of Garvan or McCann even....the continuing baffling selection of Nick Colgan ahead of any other Irish keeper etc etc etc....
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Where is the maturity here? I'd tell him, sit on the bench and see how things are going. If I've made the right decision and the midfield is getting the job done, your team is winning. If they aren't playing well, you'll get your chance. How can he argue with that?

There's no need to do this "you're with us or against us" tactics, and get him villainized.

We have a small enough population as it is without antagonizing half our decent players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    was at the game, enough chances to deserve the win. Givens seemed to be anonomous most of the game, just standing outside the dugout, have to agree with his opinion on McCann, plenty lads not in the squad would give anything to be on the bench, well done to the lads who came off the bench, made a good difference
    on an earlier reply re the softness of the players shall we say, have to agree, it was the one thing that stood out in the game, I can't recall one good honest 50/50 where the irish lad went in with a bit of aggression/hunger, O'Dea once or twice maybe but that was it. was a bit disappointing
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The point here is that the position of manager has to be respected. Whether the players agree with selection or tactics or not should be irrelevant. There should be only one man in charge, end of story. If this guy wants to pull a Stephen Ireland on it and throw a tantrum because he doesn't get a place on the team, never mind the squad, then he shouldn't be called up again until he apologises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    “I could have got somebody in because half this town would give their right arm to play for their country. Here’s a kid who doesn’t want to be there. I can never understand anybody that doesn’t want to pull on the green shirt.
    Can't really argue with that quote. Even if his faint praise for the locals is grating

Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Had to double check that he wasn't a Corkman
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Chris Mc Cann.. you ain't all that great... otherwise you wouldn't be with Burnley. Don wasn't in Montenegro so it wasn't his decision not to use him in that game. Toys out of pram time.
    take it easy College , as always we have only heard one side of the story and I will let you know how good he is when I get back from seeing play on Saturday for BURNLEY .............................

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast