Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Paul Jewell

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    I would advise everybody to get onto the RTE site and listen to the Dunphy interview fom the one o'clock news. Amazing stuff. The gist of the interview is that the 3 or 4 candidates are Jewell, Graham, Copell and Venables. Nobody else. Jewell appears to be the frontrunner by some way and I would now be very surprised if he does not now get the job. I get the feeling that Dunphy is having a big say by infleuncing Giles. Dunphy put forward Jewell and Graham as the types of people we should be talking too.
    He isn't seriously putting forward George Graham's name (rte website won't stream stuff here in the UK)? The guy is 62 and not had a job in football since Spurs sacked him. I'd keep well clear and the same applies to El Tel.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    He lost as many games with Bradford as he won.
    The majority of those losses were in the Premiership with Bradford. And he still kept them up.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Johnny Giles interview from Off The Ball tonight: http://media.putfile.com/Johnny-Gile...n-Off-The-Ball
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Youre fast on the draw Tets, where do you get the off the ball interviews from?
    as in from the web site or do you record it and upload it yourself?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Interesting to hear Giles talk so positivly about Jewell, he clearly is impressed by him and thinks he would do a good job.
    There was nothing about what happenned after the chat with Jewell if Giles had reported back to Delaney.
    Maybee Giles´s brief was just to catch Jewel´s attention our way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    If Jewell is appointed Kilbane is assured to stay and be given a key role in the new side.

^ That's the clincher for me. No to Jewell. A midfield with Kilbane is a really depressing prospect.
    Actually Kilbane was stuggling to break into the starting 11 in the last 6 months or so of Jewells tenure. I really dont think there is a candidate we can get that would be accepted by so many. Simple as, not many managers would get a nothing club like Bradford, and then keep them in the Premiership. Then he went and did the same with Wigan. Yes they had money but he consolidated them in the Premiership which was a great acheivement. Plus cast you mind back to last day of last season. Wigan were the favourites to get relegated but they went to their rivals Sheff Utd and beat them. He motivated this team to pull off a great result and things like this show he has the quality to succeed at international management

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Maybee Giles´s brief was just to catch Jewel´s attention our way.
    Are you drunk? We don't usually see such sloppy spelling and grammar from geysir!

Anyway, listening to Dunphy interviewed on radio earlier that would appear to have been the objective of the meeting - ie to sell ourselves, tell him we've decent players, great fans, hookers, that kind of thing. Dunphy comes out with one gem, or jewell if you will, in that interview actually when he said something like; we need to tell him that are players aren't crap like Wales and NI! You gotta love the Dunph.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

FAI to talk to senior players

Jesus thats all we need

As British prime minister Macmillen said one time when asked about the possibility of asking the people via a referendum, "I'd sooner ask my valet"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Johnny Giles interview from Off The Ball tonight: http://media.putfile.com/Johnny-Gile...n-Off-The-Ball
    Fair play Tets for posting that. Great interview. Fair play to Johnny Giles for doing what the FAI should be doing ie interviewing potential managers.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Thanks for that. But can people not see the farce in the whole thing? An aged TV pundit who loves to repeat himself, phones up the FAI to ask is it ok to talk to Jewell about the manager's job and they say ok (apparently) as they meanwhile try and put together a panel to do interviews for the job. The pundit says he won't be on the panel but has not prejudiced his role as a pundit even if Jewell is appointed because he's not on the panel.

Only in Ireland......

I see Giles was impressed by Jewell's career at Bradford and Wigan. No mention of his performance at his only relatively big club where he couldn't handle the prima donnas and where the results were terrible. I am just not sure.

p.s. WHo is that picture of in the blue and white stripes jersey on your webpage and what club jersey is it? Is it Joey O'B in a Wednesday shirt?
    Last edited by OwlsFan; 16/11/2007 at 9:18 PM.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    we need to tell him that are players aren't crap like Wales and NI! You gotta love the Dunph.
    Why? I am sure the Welsh and our Northern brethern who did better than us would really love pejorative comments like that. Love him for mouthing off. Go down O'Connell Street late at night and you hear the same level of comment. Don't you just love that.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Youre fast on the draw Tets, where do you get the off the ball interviews from?
    as in from the web site or do you record it and upload it yourself?
    I had the live stream open in a browser and recorded the audio using Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ - highly recommended.
    I'm not happy with the sound quality, my connection isn't great lately. The interviewer said the interview will be available as a podcast so if/when it is. I'll post a link

Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Actually Kilbane was stuggling to break into the starting 11 in the last 6 months or so of Jewells tenure.
    Kilbane's record from last season: http://www.chatsoccer.net/irishabroa...3&seasonID=136
    In the second half of the season he didn't start regularly until early April

Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    I really dont think there is a candidate we can get that would be accepted by so many.
    Goes back to my point that, while he won't be the most loved candidate, he's more than likely the least hated

WHo is that picture of in the blue and white stripes jersey on your webpage and what club jersey is it? Is it Joey O'B in a Wednesday shirt?
    Dunno, the photos are random, nothing to do with me
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/11/2007 at 10:10 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Why? I am sure the Welsh and our Northern brethern who did better than us would really love pejorative comments like that. Love him for mouthing off. Go down O'Connell Street late at night and you hear the same level of comment. Don't you just love that.
    Sorry OwlsFan, I didn't realise my comments can be so incisive as to reach a nerve!

I love him because he is outspoken and entertaining. That doesn't mean I agree with his comments.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As an aside.Jewell was quoted somewhere recently as saying he was overlooked for some jobs because of his Scouse accent. Anti-Scouse prejudice, for those who don't know, is just another form of anti-Irishness. So many Merseysiders have Irish ancestry that to be anti-Scouse in a socially acceptable form of age old anti-Irish prejudice. And you can't be accused of racism cause Scousers are technically English

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CollegeTillIDie View Post
    Anti-Scouse prejudice, for those who don't know, is just another form of anti-Irishness. So many Merseysiders have Irish ancestry that to be anti-Scouse in a socially acceptable form of age old anti-Irish prejudice. And you can't be accused of racism cause Scousers are technically English
    I've never heard this before. Any links to any studies/reports?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    493 Posts
    This would be a great appointment. His track record speaks for its self. He has achieved far more in the game than anyone else seriously linked with the job, or even anyone available.

Getting Wigan and Bradford to the premierhsip, and keeping them there, are far greater achievments than winning a few cups and a UEFA Cup with millions to speand on Liverpool, much greater achievments than winning a scottish league with Rangers and an FA Cup after inheriting one of the great sides in world football history, and greater than getting Leeds to a CL final and almost bankrupting them in the process.

If you wouldn't want him, ask yourself this, who would be better who would take the job??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Thanks for that. But can people not see the farce in the whole thing? An aged TV pundit who loves to repeat himself, phones up the FAI to ask is it ok to talk to Jewell about the manager's job and they say ok (apparently) as they meanwhile try and put together a panel to do interviews for the job. The pundit says he won't be on the panel but has not prejudiced his role as a pundit even if Jewell is appointed because he's not on the panel.
    Only in Ireland......
    I dont see Giles just as an "aged" tv Pundit, I see him as the greatest Irish football legend. A dedicated player, captain and manager, a mature football man who is held in very high esteem even by young guys like Jewell.
    The most positive thing to emerge since Stan was sacked is that he bit the bullit and acted on his initiative for the interests of Irish team. No agenda, no begrudgery, no axes to grind, just start the process to get the best manager available.
    Giles coming to the door of a good manager to have a chat about the Irish job is a stroke of diplomacy. Jim McLoughlin or Liam Touhy don't carry the same weight outside Ireland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    I dont see Giles just as an "aged" tv Pundit, I see him as the greatest Irish football legend. A dedicated player, captain and manager, a mature football man who is held in very high esteem even by young guys like Jewell.
    The most positive thing to emerge since Stan was sacked is that he bit the bullit and acted on his initiative for the interests of Irish team. No agenda, no begrudgery, no axes to grind, just start the process to get the best manager available.
    Giles coming to the door of a good manager to have a chat about the Irish job is a stroke of diplomacy. Jim McLoughlin or Liam Touhy don't carry the same weight outside Ireland.
    Giles is also a failed Irish manager by the way. I respect Giles as a former player and greatly admired him when he played for Ireland and Leeds. But the rest of his career I have no time for. Himself and Dunphy perpetually on RTE with no dissenting voice attacking Hand, Charlton and McCarthy for years. If he wants to act as kingmaker with Dunphy pulling the strings, so be it but I won't respect him for it and then put out PR stuff that this won't affect his role as a pundit. of course it will if Jewell, the failed Wednesday manager (mind you there are a lot of them ) is appointed. We now have the situation where the RTE pundits are selecting the next Irish manager.

I suppose if for the first time since Giles himself was manager, the Irish manager won't be viscerated on RTE by the "experts", this probably might not be a bad thing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Owlsfan, who were the prima donnas you say he couldn't manage at Wednesday? Searching my brain's deepest recesses I'm thinking maybe Gilles de Bilde (pretty crap anyway) and Wim Jonk, who'd probably lost any hunger he had at that stage. Enlighten us if you would please.

Any other titbits from his Wednesday tenure?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I don't have the software to listen to Tets' link but will be able to listen to it tomorrow at work.

From what I hear though Giles simply felt the FAI was dragging its heels and feared that Jewell would get a club job imminently so he asked to speak to him to sell the idea to him. I see this as the selfless act of a guy who cares but maybe I'm being naive.

Reading the Sunday Indo today it appears worryingly more likely that Venables is in the frame.Then again I have little respect for the Sunday Indo's writers.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast