Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Jewell

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I don't really buy into this "compromised" notion.

It's not as if Dunphy hasn't done a u-turn in the past. Owls fan would say he's permanently compromised.

They can say at the start that they're happy with the appointment and then call it as they see it as things progress.

In fairness, any appointment will be speculative to a degree, giving the pundits a "disclaimer" in due course.

I have no idea whether Jewell has the tactical nous needed for international football. In fact I can't really comment on how well Wigan played and whether they were dependent or not on Heskey (the type of player we don't have). However, we don't need another manger who'll indulge the "stars" and in this context I reckon Jewell would make sure the attitude and commitment improves.

Houliier has the CV and the knowledge, but does he have the personality that'll get performances from our players?

Jol would fit somewhere between the two types I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I have no idea whether Jewell has the tactical nous needed for international football. In fact I can't really comment on how well Wigan played and whether they were dependent or not on Heskey (the type of player we don't have). However, we don't need another manger who'll indulge the "stars" and in this context I reckon Jewell would make sure the attitude and commitment improves.
    When Jewell was being discussed on NewsTalk, they felt that it was after Wigan bought Heskey, and became over-reliant on him scoring from long balls, that the team started to become less effective.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    When Jewell was being discussed on NewsTalk, they felt that it was after Wigan bought Heskey, and became over-reliant on him scoring from long balls, that the team started to become less effective.
    Interesting. He certainly seems to be capable of getting a team to deliver more than the sum of its parts. My instinctive reaction is that he'd be a decent candidate, not the best, but by no means the worst. He could do with us what Sanchez did with the North.

I like the comment above "better than Stan and not O'Leary so fine by me".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    One thing that did occur to me when Jewell emerged as a serious candidate, was that he wouldn't be the most liked candidate by the fans, but he could be the least hated, if that makes any sense.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    One thing that did occur to me when Jewell emerged as a serious candidate, was that he wouldn't be the most liked candidate by the fans, but he could be the least hated, if that makes any sense.
    Did you lump on the money when he was the big price as advised Tets?
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post
    Did you lump on the money when he was the big price as advised Tets?
    Nope, but (while I do pay attention to the markets), I'm not much of a gambler.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/11/2007 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7097842.stm

Former Wigan boss Paul Jewell has acknowledged his interest in the vacant Republic of Ireland job.

Jewell has confirmed that he had informal talks with former Republic boss John Giles who is believed to be sounding out candidates for the role.

Giles said that he had held discussions with Jewell but he would not confirm that he is working on behalf of the Football Association of Ireland.

"I'm certainly not ruling it out. I am thinking about it," said Jewell.

Giles added that he had "to treat this situation with confidentiality".

Jewell insisted that his meeting with Giles on Thursday had not been "a formal interview".

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I like the comment above "better than Stan and not O'Leary so fine by me".
    Sorry but that is practically every manager bar O Leary

By all means the FAI should sound out who is interested and who isnt but i dont expect/want a decision until a few weeks after the WC draw as we will know how difficult the task will be and as has been mentoned before it will be a few weeks after the Euro places will have been decided and we should know who staying who going managerial wise.

My concern with Jewell is if a high profile Prem job becomes available he will jump ship

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    massively valid point, he has no liverpool , man u , leeds etc, bias , no one in the irish fan base really hates wigan or bradford , eh do they ?
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I don't really buy into this "compromised" notion....They can say at the start that they're happy with the appointment and then call it as they see it as things progress.
    That´s about right,
    Giles stance is that the selection is a guess no matter who you get but just eliminate the lingering doubts that the selected manager has not the required experience and let him get on with the job.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster View Post
    I'd be very happy with Jewell. He's done decent jobs at Bradford and Wigan.
    50% win/loss ratio at Bradford. That's a decent job

Terry Venables didn't succeed with a far more talented English team. Why would anyone think he'd do a better job with our average outfit?

Don't worry about this "compromised" ethical stuff being bandied about by the RTE pundits. The poison dwarf originally supported Jack's appointment. U-turns are all part of the RTE panel's game. As Ireland finish bottom of the group under Jewell, Giles "I was wrong Bill. At the time I thought it was the best appointment and you can only go on what you see at the time. I agree now it hasn't worked out". Thereafter he gets crucified and everyone raves about the "honesty" of the RTE panel.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I just quickly went through Bradford's manager history on soccerbase and Jewell has the best win percentage at the club since Terry Dolan (87-89).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    He got them promoted and kept them up didn't he? Thats a decent job.
    He did the same with Wigan.
    Both unfashionable clubs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Newryrep View Post
    My concern with Jewell is if a high profile Prem job becomes available he will jump ship
    If that happens it will probably be on the back of doing a good job with Ireland.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    I don't know what happened in the second season but when things aren't going great at Wigan you're not exactly going to be uplifted by the fans to get you going again.
    and when things aren't going great at Croker you're not exactly going to be uplifted by the fans starting a mexican wave after 20 minutes.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Jewell is a second rate club manager that has as much experience as Staunton in international football. As Dunphy says: "You're watching the start of the next calamity"
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Johnny Giles' interview from last night on NewsTalk: http://83.138.170.50/podcasts/audio/1511giles.mp3
    The interviewer (Eoin McDevitt) launches straight questioning about Giles the rumours

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Newstalk are flaggin tonight's Off The Ball programme all day and Giles will be giving an extended interview. After i heard him last night i checked paddypower and Jewell was available at 5/2 so stuck a few bob down.
    "Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colster View Post
    He got them promoted and kept them up didn't he? Thats a decent job.
    He did the same with Wigan.
    Both unfashionable clubs.
    He lost as many games with Bradford as he won. He lost a lot more than he won with Wednesday. He won more than he lost with Wigan. Not the stuff of greatness. Likes to blame referees a lot ala Steve Bruce. Not sure he's the answer. Didn't get the higher paid Wednesday players to perform. Ireland are not a Wigan or a Bradford. Don't think it would be a disasterous appointment but don't believe he's the answer to our problems.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I would advise everybody to get onto the RTE site and listen to the Dunphy interview fom the one o'clock news. Amazing stuff. The gist of the interview is that the 3 or 4 candidates are Jewell, Graham, Copell and Venables. Nobody else. Jewell appears to be the frontrunner by some way and I would now be very surprised if he does not now get the job. I get the feeling that Dunphy is having a big say by infleuncing Giles. Dunphy put forward Jewell and Graham as the types of people we should be talking too.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 16/11/2007 at 5:21 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast