Betting suspended on Paddy Power as far as i can see

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carloz View Post
    Betting suspended on Paddy Power as far as i can see
    Yes. Probably re-open tomorrow. Unless Jewell has been approached by the FAI either directly or indirectly. It was a little unusual of him to turn down the Wigan job the other day and then say he was'nt bothered if his next job was outside of the Prem.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Betting now suspended on Betfair. Something definetely going on now. Betfair never suspends betting unless huge sums of money are being bet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Betting now suspended on Betfair. Something definetely going on now. Betfair never suspends betting unless huge sums of money are being bet.
    Just checked there and it's up. Jewell is evens.

murphio on KDS reckons Jewell was interviewed today.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Can't see an appointment being made until mid-January at the earliest, and certainly not on the eve of an international.

We heard all the "bets-off" before the last appointment. Apparantly, Venables was "certain" to get the job, then Keegan was "certain" to get the job too. Neither did.

Hiring Jewell will be a disaster if it comes about. Better than Staunton, (not hard) but worse than Kerr. Has never won anything, and is useless against any kind of big team. Not likely to stay around for a full campaign either, as soon as a big bucks PL team come calling, he'll be off, ala Sanchez, possibly even before the start of the qualifiers.

What we need is an ambitious boss, who is going to stick around and make a decent stab at qualification. Paul Jewell doesn't fit the bill. He wants a PL job, so let him get on with getting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    He wants a PL job, so let him get on with getting it.
    You are aware he was offered one last week. And if he waits around a week there will be another as it seems Steve Bruce is going to Birmingham

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Just checked there and it's up. Jewell is evens.

murphio on KDS reckons Jewell was interviewed today.
    Whats KDS Eirebhoy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The bookies are going to clean up again with the next ireland market. What makes people think that the fai are anywhere near making an appointment. They dont want to be hiring anyone now and paying them for siting doing nothing.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Every bookie in town is suspended on this and wont post odds before the morning but Betfair's market is open and is actually the best guide for stuff like this because its punter v punter.

Looking at the amount traded on Jewell this evening on Betfair, it's a fairly modest sum so I doubt this is a 'done deal' as some are saying it is. If it was, you'd expect the price to have crashed into 1-3 or so and for tens of thousands to be bet. As it is, the lowest price that punters bet Jewell at was 2.02 (Even Money) for small money really.

Still, very significant movement in the betting. Think it would be a bad appointment though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Whats KDS Eirebhoy?
    Celtic forum.
    http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=815085&postcount=1015

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I have checked with my UCL deep throat and no news on Jewell but news on Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. Venners has no support within the FAI. O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Johnny Giles is acting in some capacity for the FAI and has interviewed Jewell. This is now official. He interviewed Jewell yesterday.
    http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...101-qqqx=1.asp
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 16/11/2007 at 1:18 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I have checked with my UCL deep throat and no news on Jewell but news on Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. Venners has no support within the FAI. O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source.
    Boys oh boys barney
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Johnny Giles is acting in some capacity for the FAI and has interviewed Jewell. This is now official. He interviewed Jewell yesterday.
    http://www.examiner.ie/irishexaminer...101-qqqx=1.asp
    Sorry to be so semantical but apparently it was only a little chat.

Emmet Malone carries the story in the Times as well, with an enlightening quote from Jewell that 'da paper' seemingly missed out on;

"John Giles asked to see me and I went to meet him," said the 43-year-old Englishman. "We had a chat about football in general and of course he mentioned the Irish job situation. It wasn't an interview but I'm flattered by the interest and I'm certainly not ruling it out. I'm thinking about it and we'll see soon enough whether anything develops."

We'll see soon enough??? Does that suggest Giles intimated to him that a decision is nigh? And there was me sitting back relaxing waiting for the selection panel to be announced before I properly put my mind to who I'd like to see come in! Jewell? I don't think he'd be a disaster (I always admired his tenacity and forthrightness and he seemed well able to motivate a team, especially in light of the fact he managed little Wigan, even bringing them to the League Cup final one year and pulled off two cup final-esque great escapes on the last day of the season to preserve Premiership status; famously with Bradford when they beat Liverpool and denied them a CL place, and last season in a loser loses all match against Sheffield United.)

However I'm not sure if he is tactically adept enough for the international scene, I say that only because I can't properly remember watching many Wigan matches and how they unfolded (ie how he reacted to adversity/superiority) over the past few years. I think they played decent enough football at a good tempo, a classic British style perhaps? Whatever, one must acknowledge the achievement of finishing 8th ish and give credit to the manager. You don't win eight away games, as they did, in your inaugural season in the Premiership without being thoroughly organised, motivated and focussed on the job at hand. I don't know what happened in the second season but when things aren't going great at Wigan you're not exactly going to be uplifted by the fans to get you going again. In fairness he seems an ambitious, determined and steely character who at least has some experience, of both sides of the coin too in picking a style for a pretty poor team for clashes with better teams and, when he won two promotions for Wigan, of managing the expectation of a good team playing weaker ones.

But overall,

??????
    Paul Jewell

Any Catchphrase fan should get that one......................no? a few question marks hang over him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Although "looking" increasingly likely, I cannot see the FAI appointing Jewell, because as we all know, we are now used to only having "World Class Managers".........sorry Paul thanks for the interest, there will be a letter in the post!
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    especially in light of the fact he managed little Wigan, even bringing them to the League Cup final one year and pulled off two cup final-esque great escapes on the last day of the season to preserve Premiership status; famously with Bradford when they beat Liverpool and denied them a CL place, and last season in a loser loses all match against Sheffield United.)

I think they played decent enough football at a good tempo, a classic British style perhaps? Whatever, one must acknowledge the achievement of finishing 8th ish and give credit to the manager. You don't win eight away games, as they did, in your inaugural season in the Premiership without being thoroughly organised, motivated and focussed on the job at hand.

[/I]
    I think international football is very like cup football , you don't want the minnows to beat you and you need to pull off shocks against the big teams .
    I would broadly accept jewell as our manager on a two year deal , he would definitely leave us in a better state than he finds us regardless of whether he takes us to the world cup in africa,
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    But hasn't Delaney already been on record as saying that the "British" style of management wasn't working & that they'd be looking further afield for their man? Ok ok, infamous comments about "World Class management team" aside, it did seem one of the few definites that the FAI would be looking for someone non British/Irish.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Houllier. He is not interested in taking the job. .
    Thought he might of been interested - pity

Venners has no support within the FAI..
    Thank God

O'Leary still has a real chance of getting the job despite what the media are saying. Pretty reliable source.
    - it will end in tears

Is Lippi doing anything now ? i know i am grasping at straws and before i get ripped to shreds

1, He didnt want to re-sign his Italian contract
    2. Wouldnt take the England job because of the media
    3. Spain would be unlikely to offer the national post to a non national
    4. Ditto France , Germany, Holland etc
    5. Is he likely to be offered the top job at a Group 1 seeded team ?

Say 1 million E for a part time job based in Europe (albeit not exactly the centre)

Please God let us go down the older respected international manager route and not the has beens and never were's.

We want somebody who the other european FA's(excluding England) would be chasing. Cant see many beating a door to O Leary

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Lippi wouldnt touch the job in a year of Sundays.We have to accept that at thmoment the job really isnt an attractive one. Id expect few internatinal managers above the standard of Troussier would interested, which i why in was wurprised when i heard the rumlblings about Houllier

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast