Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: County 0 Wanderers 1

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

County 0 Wanderers 1

What went wrong? How did we lose this game, should have been 2 or 3 up at half time.

Bray did not impress me, we will be lucky to make the play offs.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Don't loose faith. We should make the playoffs.

These things happen in football. Yes we should have been 1 or 2 up at half time and their goal came from a corner.

Russell only made one save from Zayeed which was a tame effort in the first half. We had at least 4 to 5 clear goal scoring chances but it just didn't happen.

The big question is now how we bounce back against Dundalk. More points dropped could mean we start to loose touch with Harps.

All 12 teams in this division will take points off each other just like last year.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just about over the loss against Wanderers.

Don't know if I will be able to get off work for the Dundalk game, its on Thursday for some reason.
    Any condescension detected in this post is fully unintentional and is solely the perception of the reader. If I think you're an idiot, I'll tell you that. You won't need to intuit it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Maybe because Dundalk play there home matchs on a Thursday and have now for a few years.
    Children in the dark cause accidents.
    Accidents in the dark cause children.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thursday thats what I said fool

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have very happy memories of our only other visit to Oriel last December. A fine 2-0 win without ever getting out of first gear.

Dundalk seem to be struggling a lot these days. Having said that they are due to win soon and I just hope its not against us.

A win in Dundalk would quickly wipe away that Bray defeat.
    It wont be easy. I think they are unbeaten up there this season but as I said elsewhere we will probably pick up more points away from home.

Estar - If you are looking for a lift up we might have a spare seat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bray

Bray beat us 2-1 in our first home game. Still don't understand how they beat us (well they scored more goals than you did), but thought Bray were absolutely shocking, considering that they came down from the premier the season before. Zayed came on in the second half and was anonymous. They were real long ball merchants too. Can't wait for the return fixture.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for the offer Countyman, but if I'm going to the match I'II have to drive straight from work.

Fingers crossed for a good result.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kildare County 0, Bray Wanderers 1 (Gormley 77)

BILLED as the big clash of the Division 1 weekend, Saturday night’s encounter was a huge anti-climax. While creating enough chances to snatch all three points Kildare’s long-ball tactics were mundane and predictable.

Manager, Dermot Keely blamed the Station Road surface for that.

“That’s the way the games are going to be here. I can’t do anything about that. I’d like to play on the ground but as Pat Devlin’s tactics showed, they could-n’t play it on the surface here either. Games will be like that, especially against strong sides, and it depends which way the chance falls.”

The upshot of it all is that County slip to fourth in the league table, not that Keely seemed too concerned at this early stage.

“I don’t look at the results or the league table. I don’t care about it after six or seven games.”

After Richard Purdy had headed Graham O’Hanlon’s fourth minute header from under his own crossbar, the Thoroughbreds got into their stride, dominating the first half encounters.

They should have hit the front 11 minutes in as Purdy headed Alan McNevin’s corner into Ben Whelehan’s path but the captain somehow blazed over from seven yards. Mark Hutchinson and Shay Zeller emphasised the home sides intent with shuddering tackles but the game’s course failed to match their early enthusiasm.

In fact there wasn’t another shot on goal for over 20 minutes although when it came 18-year old Australian goalkeeper Chris O’Connor denied Zeller brilliantly. At the other end Eamon Zayed had a dangerous looking effort from distance deflected for a corner by Purdy.

With the interval moments away Bray again called on O’Connor and the young keeper again once more. This time Zeller turned provider, releasing Phillip Hughes but the ball was scrambled to safety. Soon after, Hughes was called back by referee Stephen Meighen for an infringement that only he saw.

After the break there was a complete turnaround. County were suddenly the ones under pressure. Paul Forsyth fired two warning shots for the Seagulls. His cross on the hour mark wreaked havoc in the home goalmouth following Eddie Gormely’s sublime pass, and a shot five minutes later travelled just over Wayne Russell’s crossbar.

Then came the goal. With only 13 minutes left on the clock Gormley met Michael Lawless’ corner at the near post and his flick found the net. It’s unclear where exactly the blame lay although Russell was having contrasting fortunes with his opposite number all evening. Then again the three defenders on the line must take some responsibility.

Alan Kelly left the bench late on and in his few moments on the pitch had more chances than his teammates had mustered all evening. Having failed by only inches to get a toe on the end of Damien Brennan’s low cross, he then tried to head over O’Connor having been released by Whelehan but the Australian was predictably up to the challenge.

Then in the last minute, he directed another header wide, this time from much closer range after Brennan’s long throw had been flicked on by Whelehan.

It proved to be Kildare’s last chance. A draw may have been a fairer result but that could be down to Wanderers’ equally disappointing showing. It’s a scoreline that sees Keely’s men lose their perfect Station Road record as well as their perch a the top of the Division One tree, not that the boss was too perturbed.

“It was a nil-all game and if there was to be a goal it was going to be a set-piece. We had a couple of half chances in the first half while they didn’t create much but we robbed the game against Dublin on Saturday night and now it’s our turn to be on the receiving end. It was a battle and they got the break.”

County now go on the road, namely Gortakeegan and Oriel Park. Both Monagahan and Dundalk have struggled this year and six points on the road will make up for three dropped at home. It will give County an opportunity to play the ball on the ground, to be more creative and hopefully, more productive.

Kildare County: Wayne Russell, Damien Brennan, Mark Hutchinson, Ritchie Purdy, Alan Keely, Ray Kenny, Shay Zeller (Ray Scully 68), Ben Whelehan, Phillip Hughes, Barry O’Connor, Alan McNevin (Alan Kelly 80).

Bray Wanderers: Chris O’Connor, Paul O’Reilly, Maurice Farrell (Kieran Ryan

41), Jody Lynch, Graham O’Hanlon (Kieran O’Brien 26), Eddie Gormley, Michael Lawless, David Campbell, Eamon Zayed, Stephen Fox, Paul Forsyth.

Referee: Stephen Meighan (Dublin).