Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20 years to the day that.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    twenty years.
    i remember it like yesterday,i was thirteen,i watched it with me dad in peter clarks on dublin street, from what i remember every programme on rte that night showed the goal, it was the start of that unbelivable rollercoaster for the next nine years under charlton, dunphy ,keano and the rest of the "purists" can say all they want about not playing good football etc.. but those years will say with me for the rest of my life.i still get goosebumps watching euro 88 italia 90 on reeling in the years. we were proud to be irish,we could beat anyone, bring on the world

how things have changed

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    We lost qualification in Brussels pure and simple thanks to Mr. Nazare. Lets just say it didn't come as a surprise to discover years later that the leading club in Belgium at the time (Anderlect)were subsequently done for bribing referees in european matches.
    I would love to see that game again.

In the first half Stapleton had a perfectly good goal dissallowed for no reason whatsoever. I think a Belgian ran into the ref as Stapo slotted in Bradys free kick.

Then in the last minute Eric Gerets tripping over his beard and diving twenty feet to earn a free kick. Then Ceulemans fouling Seamus McDonagh to head in the winner.

The ref had to be protected leaving the pitch because of the abuse the Irish players gave him.

I was waiting for Jeremy Beadle to come on and say it was all just a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie
    We're still owed for the Croatia away goal in the 93rd minute in 1998.
    Albania (h), 2003??

Quote Originally Posted by gspain
    Only drawing in Holland against the beaten finalists for the previous 2 world cups was hardly where we let it slip. We lost qualification in Brussels pure and simple thanks to Mr. Nazare. Lets just say it didn't come as a surprise to discover years later that the leading club in Belgium at the time (Anderlect)were subsequently done for bribing referees in european matches.
    Anderlecht weren't "done" for bribing a ref. The situation was "revealed" about 15 years later, but UEFA decided not to take any action against them.

As pointed out before, the game against Holland, being in September, would be more accurate in where we let qualification slip. Holland were going through a transitional phase at the time, and failed to make another tournament until '88. We were in front in the game, but we couldn't hold on to it, and we lost the extra point.

As far as I know, the ref of the game against Italy in Rome (Carlos Silva Valente, Portugal) was the same ref as the one in Brussels. And we got nothing from him against the hosts in 1990 either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    Albania (h), 2003??

Anderlecht weren't "done" for bribing a ref. The situation was "revealed" about 15 years later, but UEFA decided not to take any action against them.

As pointed out before, the game against Holland, being in September, would be more accurate in where we let qualification slip. Holland were going through a transitional phase at the time, and failed to make another tournament until '88. We were in front in the game, but we couldn't hold on to it, and we lost the extra point.

As far as I know, the ref of the game against Italy in Rome (Carlos Silva Valente, Portugal) was the same ref as the one in Brussels. And we got nothing from him against the hosts in 1990 either.
    OK Anderlect were proven to have bribed referees at the time.

We never lead in Holland. We trailed twice and came back. That was a fantastic draw. It was my first away game and we were expecting a tanking.

The referee in Brussels was Nazare and a different ref from the one in Rome. Although we had dodgy refereeing decisions in the past we were never really totally done as in Brussels. Sofia 77 may come close although the French were done there too.

I remember at the time discussions saying if this was someplace Bulgaria we'd be sure the referee was bribed but the Belgians wouldn't bribe a referee. Now it is obvious they clearly did.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    I actually remember Kevin Moran, aghast at repeatedly being penalised in the air, jumping up with his hands behind his back (or somewhere blatantly out of the way) and even still he was penalised for pushing.

He did give us a free kick on the edge of their box in injury time and I think he allowed for it to be retaken too. Sheridan fluffed it each time.

(sorry, just saw GS's post - rendering the above irrelevant!)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    I would love to see that game again.

In the first half Stapleton had a perfectly good goal dissallowed for no reason whatsoever. I think a Belgian ran into the ref as Stapo slotted in Bradys free kick.

Then in the last minute Eric Gerets tripping over his beard and diving twenty feet to earn a free kick. Then Ceulemans fouling Seamus McDonagh to head in the winner.

The ref had to be protected leaving the pitch because of the abuse the Irish players gave him.

I was waiting for Jeremy Beadle to come on and say it was all just a joke.
    I was too young to remember that game when it took place but I've seen the footage of the goal.

The shot hit the crossbar and came back out to Ceulemans who was shoving against McDonagh. Ball hits the net, Belgians wheel away in celebration and Moran and McDonagh slump to the muddy ground.

There's footage of the Irish bench, every one of them with their heads in their hands. What a sickener.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Tell me about it. I was at the game. Which made Sofia 1987 all the more sweet. The years of waiting were over. I remember getting a lump in my throat as RTE showed the Aer Lingus plane bearing the team landing in Germany.

We had arrived at last.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    You were probably still in a state of disbelief up until that plane landed
    That news that Ireland had qualified in 1987, became our "where were you when you heard the news".

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    You were probably still in a state of disbelief up until that plane landed
    That news that Ireland had qualified in 1987, became our "where were you when you heard the news".
    Con Houlihan memorably wrote that he was in a small deserted pub in the company of a few bar flies................and a small dog.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Luxury I could only dream of being in such surroundings then.

I was doing a job in an isolated fjord north west of Iceland, I came home with absolutely not the slightest hope of a Scottish victory but I couldn't get a reception for the BBC WS on my SW radio, in a semi blizzard I climbed a 400m hill and managed to get the 17.45 sports news headlines, hiding behind a huge rock, frozen snot all over my face.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Luxury I could only dream of being in such surroundings then.

I was doing a job in an isolated fjord north west of Iceland, I came home with absolutely not the slightest hope of a Scottish victory but I couldn't get a reception for the BBC WS on my SW radio, in a semi blizzard I climbed a 400m hill and managed to get the 17.45 sports news headlines, hiding behind a huge rock, frozen snot all over my face.
    I'd say the heart warming news was worth the trek!!

Enjoying the thread folks, keep the "where I was tales" going.

A welcome relief from the dreaded and joyless Norn Iron "debates".

I know the obvious rule, if you don't like a thread - don't read and don't post - but that eligibility yoke....Christ.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Working in Holland at the time. Didn't bother keeping track as I knew the campaign was going to end in heartbreak (had lived through Sofia *2, Brussels and Paris 81, etc). Came in from work and got a phone call from home with the news. Never been as stunned in my life - took ages to sink in. Loved it when I later heard all the stories about people hearing the result on the radio and winding down windows in traffic to tell all and sundry. Con Houlihan's story in the pub with the dog also priceless.

Would love to see that betamax tape on youtube!
    Together with all our hearts.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr View Post
    Con Houlihan's story in the pub with the dog also priceless.
    Con Houlihan's articles on the Irish team that appeared in the Evening Press are sorely missed. Great wit and insight.

I remember he once wrote "John Sheridan surpassed himself. He worked like a beaver and tackled like a tiger. PS - I have seen neither animals play football"

"The current Irish Manager has been known to refer to his goalkeeper as Bonny Packer".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    was only young but was in the pub and there were only a few in watching the game , my dad was delighted ,have to admit i didnt really grasp the significance at all , all i know is that pub changed beyond belief over the next few years as the revenue from the celtic tiger rolled in and from being packed for all those games, roddy doyles book the van describes those times very well indeed,
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMilla View Post
    was only young but was in the pub and there were only a few in watching the game , my dad was delighted ,have to admit i didnt really grasp the significance at all , all i know is that pub changed beyond belief over the next few years as the revenue from the celtic tiger rolled in and from being packed for all those games, roddy doyles book the van describes those times very well indeed,
    Was that pub the Submarine?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    OK Anderlect were proven to have bribed referees at the time.

We never lead in Holland. We trailed twice and came back. That was a fantastic draw. It was my first away game and we were expecting a tanking.

The referee in Brussels was Nazare and a different ref from the one in Rome. Although we had dodgy refereeing decisions in the past we were never really totally done as in Brussels. Sofia 77 may come close although the French were done there too.

I remember at the time discussions saying if this was someplace Bulgaria we'd be sure the referee was bribed but the Belgians wouldn't bribe a referee. Now it is obvious they clearly did.

Posted this here before, its long but a great piece on Mr. Nazare done by the Tribune about five years ago AFAIK
    Last edited by SÓC; 13/11/2007 at 1:54 PM.
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Yeah it was a special feeling alright. The whole mood of the country just lifted with the success of 88 and 90. Does anyone think that the success of that team had anything to do with the sparking of the so called Celtic Tiger?
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Con Houlihan's articles on the Irish team that appeared in the Evening Press are sorely missed. Great wit and insight.
    Very interesting that you mention Con Houlihan. I agree he was a great writer but on Thursday, March 27 1986, he wrote a review of Jack's first game in charge. He used this wording: "I am tempted to sell my property in Spain...and give the proceeds to the FAI. Then they could pay off the manager they should never have appointed....As I forecast exclusively, Jack is no giant killer".

That night I cut out the article to keep because I firmly believed he would be wrong and in 1990 I sent him a copy of the clipping. He never replied I still keep it here in my office desk, now a fading mustard colour.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    He was right at the time, except for the prediction
    Con's mood improved immeasurably in the Autumn with Brady´s last minute penalty in Belgium.
    He could smell an omen.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerMilla View Post
    http://www.dermothardy.com/jackies%20army.html

The above link is to a piece written by Roddy Doyle. It's his take on Ireland during Italia 90.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast