Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drogs v UCD

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

drogs v UCD

Can Drogheda United expect the usual finincial windfall that comes with a visit from UCD. Will the Windmill Rd side of the ground be stuffed with passionate fans waving blue and navy. I think not! Do us all a favour: get relegated.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Re: drogs v UCD

Originally posted by pconnor
    Do us all a favour: get relegated.
    Yeah, and take the arrogant whining dwogs with you....
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

@ndy

Can Drogheda United expect the usual finincial windfall that comes with a visit from UCD.
    I dunno. Like what is a finincial windfall?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    @ndy - don't be a smart arse. Couldn't you think of a suitable reply?

BTW Macy. Last season i would have said that Longford were a better side than us. Your performances so far and in particular your performance in O2 would turn that statement on it's head. So, going by that, i'd say Longford would be more likely to take the drop. I'm not being bitchy just making an observation.
    Last edited by pconnor; 15/05/2003 at 1:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts

Can Drogheda United expect the usual finincial windfall that comes with a visit from UCD. Will the Windmill Rd side of the ground be stuffed with passionate fans waving blue and navy. I think not! Do us all a favour: get relegated.
    I must have missed the thousands of passionate Dwogs fans who packed out Belfield last year and made such a stunning amount of noise.

"Come on Unihed"
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

@ndy
    @ndy - don't be a smart arse. Couldn't you think of a suitable reply?
    To be honest P - i didn't think it was worth it. I mean, the fact that you mentioned Dwoheda Unihed and financial matters in the same statement opens up a great opportunity for taking the p'ss, but the fact that you decided to be a p r i c k and say something completely unconstructive i couldn't be @rsed. Now go back to the Dwoheda Unihed forum like a nice lad and if you want to discuss football matters or even personal feelings towards UCD as a club in a civilised manner i'll be more than happy to engage if i can spare the time.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Talking Drogs V UCD

Well neow

I think it is time P.OConnor you learned a little bit about your own club's history.
    In our 24 years of League Membership the good ship Drogheda United has had to be rescued from financial disaster on at least 3 occasions.

U.C.D. have never had to be bailed out by the F.A.I. in spite of our legendary small attendances.

The F.A.I. bought United Park from your club about 15 years ago to prevent the club being wound up.

Gate Receipts account for less than 25% of a club's revenue. Most clubs generate the other 75% from various sources including sponsorship, advertising in the ground and program and other fundraising activities.

U.C.D. have managed to keep it's house in order ever since we came into the League. The fact that most of our support cannot be arsed to go to away matches is neither here nor there .

United are the only senior club in Drogheda therefore you have a monopoly on Soccer matters in the town. U.C.D. have to compete with Bohemians, Shelbourne, Dublin City, Shamrock Rovers, St. Patrick's Athletic, and even Bray Wanderers when it comes to looking for sponsorship , advertisers etc. Most of those clubs are on average more successful than we are on the field so we are doubly at a disadvantage. Do we complain? NO We get the finger out and get on with it. United are the only game in town, so you should by rights have a lot less trouble attracting sponsors in Drogheda.

U.C.D. would never derive a FINANCIAL windfall from travelling United support. But we are not miserable enough to wish your club ill.

So basically until your club can survive for 10 years without a financial crisis don't lecture anyone on how their club is run.

College Till I Die

P.S. If you don't think U.C.D. should be in the Premier you can return Mr. Lynch and Mr. Myler to us as they clearly are not good enough to be in your squad

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well we'll have at least three including me good self (if last time is anything to go by) but that's about it.

Why should we get relegated, exactly, I mean if anything Drogheda have cost the league more than U.C.D. Some of the money that the FAI had to fork out in order to save your ar$es could have been put into something a little more productive - like the bin.
    And stay out of Bumtown, ya no talent bum.

@ndy
    Declan, surely you mean finincial matters?

@ndy
    I think it's a French word cos i've heard Emmet use it a few times

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lets just clear up a couple of things

the league didn't bail DUFC out of its recent crisis, the club did it themselves.

UCD don't wish the drogs any "ill". Thats ****** for a start. UCD were one of 3 clubs trying to get the drogs kicked out of the league last year in order to save their own arses from relegation. FACT.

"24 years in the league". Let me see - elected to the league in 1963. It's now 2003 so thats 1,2,3,4................ doesn't add up to 24. I assume that Maths isn't part of your college course.

OK fair enough i came on here to start up a bit of banter and pre-match slagging. I do admit that i don't like UCD as an EL club, they have no fans and bring very little to the league. But seriously, if your going to try to discredit my arguements at least get your facts right!

Please feel free to check the above for spelling mistakes and typo's. *****s

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    But seriously, if your going to try to discredit my arguements at least get your facts right!
    I'd have loved to have discredited your arguments, but you didn't give any. It was UCD - no fans - p!ss off. What the hell did you expect?!

And we never said the league bailed youz out of your "recent" crisis - it was pointed out that they saved you 15 years ago! And they have been continuing to save you since then 'cos youz haven't paid any rent since then for their ground. And then, after cheating your way to getting a Premier Division team - by not paying the FAI rent, by not paying the taxman for 7 years, by spending reckless amounts of money (going fully pro one week and not paying wages the next) - yez then went and started complaining when it was mooted that you be expelled because apparently you were taking the league forward!

I reckon the league has the best 22 teams it could have, simply because the 22 who are in want to be in and no-one else wants to be in. But if anybody should be relegated for reasons other than finishing bottom of the league, it surely should be Drogheda for their financial misconduct, not UCD for having very few fans. Like in the English league - Wimbledon were allowed stay in the Premier because they were good, while Swindon were relegated because of financial irregularities.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Drogs v UCD

We are in the League 24 years you pillock.

Besides Drogheda F.C. joined the League in 1963. The merger with United only occurred in the 1970's with the proposed purchase of the site on where O-2 Park now stands.

Are you resentful of the fact that we have stayed in the Division since we were last promoted in 1995 and are not like yourselves a yo-yo team per chance?

We are in the Premier Division on merit we have stayed there since we walked away with the First Division in 1994/95 finishing 8 points clear of who was it again? Oh yeah Unihed!

Football in this country is fortunately a meritocracy. Your place in the League is still decided primarily by your team's performances on the pitch.

If it was decided by performances off the park half the current Premier Division teams would be in the AUL Major Division 2B or something similar. And your lot would be in the latter category .

We have our act together off the field and if we don't get it together on the field we will go down. Only however if there turns out be 9 better teams than us in the Division after 36 games. That remains to be seen. As for not contributing much to the league . Where would our rivals in the Premier Division be without our ex-players. Your lot have 2 and you had 3 last season who kept you up. Even your Louth rivals have 1.
    Derry have one, Shelbourne have 1 Shamrock Rovers have around 4, Bohs have 2 Bray even have 1 Dublin City have 3 former UCD players. If nothing else we develop players into useful Eircom League players. That in itself is a contribution.

We have never lost a home Leg of a European Tie and we have never embarrassed the country by being hockeyed in a European tie either. Which is more than can be said for a lot of so called big clubs in this League.

We play our part in making the League credible , despite the best efforts of some other clubs to do the opposite.

CollegeTill I Die

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well said.
    And stay out of Bumtown, ya no talent bum.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    You surely can't be claiming the moral high ground just because the FAI own our ground. Who owns your ground? Answer: I do, and all the other tax payers in the country!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    You surely can't be claiming the moral high ground just because the FAI own our ground. Who owns your ground? Answer: I do, and all the other tax payers in the country!
    This coming from the person who's claiming the moral high ground because we don't have a big travelling support?!

@ndy
    I don't think it's the high ground CTID is claiming p...i think he's just rightly bringing himself and the rest of us UCD fans off the floor where you're trying your best to put us, with warped logic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    You surely can't be claiming the moral high ground just because the FAI own our ground.
    No it's because the FAI lease your ground to you but you didn't pay any rent for it for 7 years thus depriving football in this country of money which it should have had for doing things other than lining the pockets of one club.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Moral High Ground

Well for the record the University owns the ground. And perhaps it was bought with Taxpayers money, but as that happened way back in the early 1930's it was a little bit before my time.

The facts remain that since we joined the old League of Ireland B Division in 1970, we have always behaved responsibly when it came to matters relating to our responsibilities as member of the league. We have fulfilled more reserve fixtures in both that Division and the Under 21 League than any other club.

We have one of the best maintained playing surfaces in the League and have developed young players consistently since joining the League of Ireland proper in 1979 via our scholarship scheme. Five players have left our club to go and play in England at some point in their career. Armed with a College Degree they were better equipped to deal with the slings and arrows of life as a professional football player , with an education to fall back on , than all of the teenagers recruited on YTS schemes and as Apprentices. One example of this , Kevin Moran played for us before we joined the League of Ireland proper in the mid 1970's.

We have provided talented young football players with an opportunity to get an education and for the record that includes both male and female as our ladies soccer team issues 2 scholarships a season too. They won the Womens FAI Cup last season and will represent Ireland in the Women's U.E.F.A. Cup in September.

In terms of playing membership we are one of the largest clubs in the country as there are over 50 teams each week lining out in Belfield to play soccer.

We are the only university in Western Europe playing in a Premier Division and we have the longest name of any football team in Europe

Since the 1997 Universities Act our official name is
    UNIVERSITY COLLEGE DUBLIN, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF IRELAND - DUBLIN, ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL CLUB

So all together lads..... Give me a U

College Till I Die

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Drogheda United FC 2 -0 UCD
    I think I've said enough now. Enjoy the first division, and if there is any justice, the Leinster senior league after that. .

....................../´¯/)
    ...................../¯../
    ..................../.../
    ............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`•¸
    ........../'/.../..../......./¯\
    .........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'..')
    ..........\.................'.../
    ..........''...\.......... _.•´
    .............\..............(
    ..............\.............\....

Bye Bye.
    BTW, you guys really contributed to the attendance and athmosphere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast