Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Squad vs Wales

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good to see Given picking Anthony Stokes after their recent spat - that said, Stokes still has a long way to go to international standard

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Am i right in saying that Givens never picked Ireland for the u-21's?
    Yes, but that was due to Ireland's self imposed exile from the Irish international scene at all levels while Kerr was still involved with the FAI.

Givens explained his absence from the squad on Sky Sports:
    Stephen made the decision not to play for Ireland until he's sorted. "Maybe he needs a little bit of time to get his head right and the future manager may be able to get that sorted out.
    "I'm in charge for this one game and I felt it wasn't right to include Stephen in the squad because there has been no contact from him."
    "The future (Republic) manager can look at it differently - by then things may have changed.
    "But I can't really comment on what might happen in the future."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stephen Ireland's head

What does Given mean when he says "getting his head right"?

Could he not just shave it, and pretend he's Zidane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    To get the right hair do, takes time. He is not superman FFS.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Reid returns to Ireland squad

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Steven Reid, Anthony Stokes and Andy O'Brien are all selected in the Republic of Ireland squad to play Wales in the final Euro 2008 qualifier in Cardiff on Saturday week.

Blackburn midfielder Reid returns after a 14-month spell on the sidelines with back and knee problems having last played for Ireland in the opening qualifier away to Germany over year ago.

"I am delighted that Steven is back to full fitness after his injury problems and it will be a big boost for us to have him in the squad," said Ireland's caretaker manager Don Givens.

Blackburn, though, may be less than pleased to have their player thrown into the mix so soon after returning from what was a nightmare spell on the treatment table.

Reid has only played a handful of games in the recent weeks.

He played a couple of behind closed door friendlies before negotiating 55 minutes of a reserve team game last week. Tonight he is due to face Manchester City's reserve team at Eastlands.

Speaking last week, Blackburn manager Mark Hughes said under no circumstances would Reid be rushed into playing.

"We are arranging games for him and he is improving his fitness every day, he's getting closer and closer," said Hughes.

"After waiting so long we are not prepared to rush him, although the temptation is there. It has been a long road for Steven and it will take as long as it takes."

Bolton defender O'Brien has not been involved since missing the home game against the Czech Republic last October through injury.

He was, however, a late call up as cover for the recent home qualifiers with Germany and Cyprus but withdrew before joining the squad with a kidney complaint.

"Andy has benefited from getting regular football at Bolton and that too will be a help," said Givens.

Goalkeeper Shay Given is included in the 22-man squad although he is nursing a groin problem and is still rated as an injury concern.

Veteran Nick Colgan is dropped as third choice goalkeeper and is replaced by Scunthorpe United's Joe Murphy who earned a senior cap against Turkey three years ago. Colin Doyle keeps his place.

Sunderland striker Anthony Stokes, who briefly fell out with under-21 boss Givens for missing a recent friendly game at that level, is elevated to senior ranks and will travel to Cardiff.

Both he and Givens will then link up with the under-21 squad for the European qualifier against Bulgaria in Athlone this day fortnight.

Former manager Steve Staunton turned to Liam Miller as late cover for last month's double-header but the Sunderland midfielder is in from the start under Givens.

But there is no room in the squad for Manchester City's Stephen Ireland who continues his exile from the squad. Wolves' Andy Keogh is also dropped while Reading striker Shane Long is suspended.

"We want to finish the campaign on a high note by taking three points and finishing third behind Germany and the Czech Republic so there is plenty for us to play for in Cardiff," added Givens.

Rep of Ireland: Given (Newcastle), J Murphy (Scunthorpe), C Doyle (Birmingham); Finnan (Liverpool), Kelly (Birmingham), Dunne (Man City), McShane (Sunderland), A O'Brien (Bolton), J O'Brien (Bolton), O'Shea (Man Utd); McGeady (Celtic), Carsley (Everton), Douglas (Leeds), S Reid (Blackburn), A Reid (Charlton), Miller (Sunderland), Hunt (Reading), Kilbane (Wigan); Keane (Tottenham), D Murphy (Sunderland), Stokes (Sunderland), K Doyle (Reading).
    © 2007 ireland.com
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Bit of a blow for Andy Keogh.Will Givens put him in the u21 squad now?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The Stephen Ireland situation is now getting beyond a joke. I have a lot of sympathy for people who have problems with their mental health, if that is indeed the issue here, but this is ridiculous. When playing for his club in away fixtures he has to be just as far if not even further away from his family. If Man City get drawn away to Cardiff City in a cup competition he'd play without a bother.

FORMERLY: Youwerethereray Traps Cat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    In:
    Joe Murphy
    Andy O’Brien
    Steven Reid
    Anthony Stokes

Out:
    Nick Colgan
    Stephen Carr
    Alan O'Brien
    Darren Potter
    Stephen Elliott
    Andy Keogh
    Shane Long

Good to see Joe Murphy in the Squad - has been in superb of late - probably should be our third choice behind Given and Paddy Kenny.
    "The cat is in it, but it's open - and it's a wild cat"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I didn't expect to see Ireland called up to be fair. He won't be back till next year, by then we'll have a new manager and hopefully all is forgotten. Given's at least realises Alan O'Brien hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

FORMERLY: Youwerethereray Traps Cat's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I didn't expect to see Ireland called up to be fair. He won't be back till next year, by then we'll have a new manager and hopefully all is forgotten. Given's at least realises Alan O'Brien hasn't done anything to warrant a call up.

He did attemp to break the land speed record when he came on in stuttgart - however he did not have the ball at his feet at the time.
    "The cat is in it, but it's open - and it's a wild cat"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I wouldn't have called Stephen Ireland up, I could forgive the miscarriage incident but Toupégate is a step too far, if you can't take a ribbing in exchange for playing for your country you need to seriously grow up. I'd rather have a player of less quality and more guts. I want an apology before he has the PRIVILEGE of playing for his country again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    In:
    Joe Murphy
    Andy O’Brien
    Steven Reid
    Anthony Stokes

Out:
    Nick Colgan
    Stephen Carr
    Alan O'Brien
    Darren Potter
    Stephen Elliott
    Andy Keogh
    Shane Long
    Bizarre that Stokes (has potential but not Championship quality) & Reid (returning from injury) are in the squad.

I hate to say it but Given is correct on most of the omissions.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Would like to have seen Ireland, Lee, Kenny and maybe Yeates included. Just the same as Stans selections really in that it represents Givens favourites rather than our strongest squad, but it will be for only one match.
    Yeah, good call.

Though I suspect that there may be some decorum about an interim manager picking brand new caps, Yeates seems to be on fitre at the moment.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a few minor gripes with the squad which other people have already mentioned but overall it's a decent squad and has been picked much better than any of Staunton's squads.

A few people have mentioned that Alan Lee should have been included but I was reading an article a few days in which he said that he doesn't want to be considered unless he starts. If that's the case then I don't feel he's really worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Jesus if he did say that he is some piece of work.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Its a well balanced squad. As much as we can ask. It is unlikely Givens was going to rock the boat.

There is no point making any rash changes for 1 match. England did that and ended up with a sunglasses model as captain for half a decade!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    Jaysus where to begin.....

Steven Reid - hasn't played in god knows how long
    Stokes - Does missing open goals in the prem entitle you to a call up these days??
    Douglas - why????
    Would have liked to see Alan Lee given a shot.

Plus points:
    At least Colgan's finished...Murphy has been deserving of that call up for a long time.
    And....Eh.......that's about it really....
    It was just last week that Alan Lee said he thinks not being involved with Ireland has improved his club career and he made a point about saying he wasn't interested in bench warming for Ireland.

Ddin't Steven Reid get inhured playing for Ireland?? If so it's pretty galling for Blackburn to call him up before he has even played a first team game, he won't be released to Ireland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Fair enough squad. Murphy in for Colgan is a good call. I'd like to see Mark Yeates called up. If he's not scoring he's getting assists all over the place.

In other positions I think there's always a tough balance between optimising our U21s and filling places in the senior squad. Only Stokes has been called up from the U21s which I think is right.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    Bit of a blow for Andy Keogh.Will Givens put him in the u21 squad now?
    Agreed. Of the current new crop he is one that is a great prospect.
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Shane Long is suspended so that rules him out and Carr has retired so that rules him out.

So yeah

Keogh and Alan O Brien and Colgan and Potter are the ones really dropped from the squad.
    Not sure Douglas should be there ahead of Potter.
    think keogh is injured and going for a minor operation

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast