Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Munster Senior Cup Final

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Munster Senior Cup Final

At last the Munster Senior Cup Final is to be played on Wed 7th November in Jackman Park in Limerick.

Its an all Limerick league affair with Limerick37 V Lifford Ladies who play in the Limerick league having made the final out of 8 teams....Tipp League, Limerick37, Wilton, Lifford, Cork League, Ballincollig, Limerick Desmond League and Benfica.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does this imply that womens soccer in Limerick is the strongest in Munster?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Munster final

Drove up to Limerick to watch Limerick league v Lifford in Munster final.
    Very entertaining game, especially the second half when Lifford stepped up a gear and showed their class.
    The first half was fairly even but Lifford always looked more likely to score.
    Limerick came close to taking the lead with a header from a corner but that was their only real chance.
    Lifford led 1 nil at break with well worked goal. Great first time passing and a lay off to midfielder on edge of box who hammered it home.
    Second half was nearly all Lifford and they added 3 more goals. In fairness to Limerick they never gave up and tried hard to the end. They have some fine players but couldn't match Lifford on the night.
    Player of the match for me was Louise Henchy playing at sweeper for Lifford. She is a class act. How is she not on the Irish team? In my opinion there is not one of the current Irish defenders to match her. She is also a home based player. Why does Noel King not come to games like these instead of looking for players with Irish ancestors in the States.
    Well done to both teams.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    henchy is a class act,but i think has retired from senior international radar after a few squad inclusions. at underage level, home based players rule the roost, but at senior level, the girls based in uk/usa are chosen due to fulltime or at least better training/fitness structures that they have

hench is one of many players in the region, but ask marie curtin, same club, but has the extra benefit of fulltime soccer in usa.
    "as always i will be focused on coaching and training my team" Rafa B

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Player of the match for me was Marie Curtin, striker, sweeper and mid-field general all rolled into one Great goal for the opener, and she had a couple of good chances in the second half, only our keeper made a great save to prevent her getting another.

The gulf in class between Lifford and L37 was clear to see, Lifford always seemed to know their next move even before the ball came to them, their passing, control, movement and communication were all superior.

Our lot were a mixed bag, some were a bit stand-offish, some were attempting flick-ons and fancy stuff that embarrassingly didnt work, when maybe a bit of simple control and pass would have been much more effective. The back four were pretty good, our no.12 also and the smaller girl up front.
    I dont mean to be critical, thats just the way I saw things.

Anyways I think 4-0 was not a bad result for us considering (shame about the mix-up for the 4th).

What sort of age group are the L37 players ? Most of them looked very young.
    There seems to be great interest anyways, we had plenty of subs.

And a good crowd of about 40 on-lookers, more than for most of the U21s games
    LTID

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    To be fair Limerick 37 are new to women's soccer as well as the male game. The previous club dabbled with a women's team in the late 1990's and then ceased dabbling. Limerick League previously fielded a representative team in the WFAI Intermediate Cup for a few years. But for the club to reach the provincial final in it's first year and lose to Lifford is no disgrace. That club is around years and Marie Curtin is a Republic of Ireland Senior International and her sister Ann Curtin has played for the Irish 3rd Level Colleges International team into the bargain. Louise Henchy is a fantastic player and she is not in the Irish squad simply because nobody from the Irish senior international set up has watched her play ,at club level ,since she became too old for the Under 19's and graduated from University.

37 Beour slight correction. The tournament was due to begin in the spring and Benfica from Waterford had agreed to participate but when the first round got delayed, the fixtures clashed with Dublin League fixtures and Benfica were forced to withdraw from it.
    So my extremely reliable sources on Suirside tell me.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 12/11/2007 at 4:42 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "but at senior level, the girls based in uk/usa are chosen due to fulltime or at least better training/fitness structures that they have"

Why is it then that he plays a twice world champion boxer based in Ireland who doesnt seem to have a club at all?

This is not a personal attack on her (shes a fantastic sportsperson) but rather I am blowing a hole in Olegunner/noel kings rather reasons for picking players who play ball abroad

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by olegunnar View Post

hench is one of many players in the region, but ask marie curtin, same club, but has the extra benefit of fulltime soccer in usa.
    think that Marie has changed college and is now at UL

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekitman View Post
    "but at senior level, the girls based in uk/usa are chosen due to fulltime or at least better training/fitness structures that they have"

Why is it then that he plays a twice world champion boxer based in Ireland who doesnt seem to have a club at all?

This is not a personal attack on her (shes a fantastic sportsperson) but rather I am blowing a hole in Olegunner/noel kings rather reasons for picking players who play ball abroad
    Thekitman

As they say in France '' Tu as raison'' ( Dublin translation You're dead right bud!)

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
    think that Marie has changed college and is now at UL
    Yes but she is a known quantity. I have not seen either Noel or his assistant at any senior club games for a while.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    my point was in referance to players fitness levels,and how those abroad have access to better training - more regular & structured. Katie is a WORLD CHAMPION boxer,could be one of the fittest women in Ireland!! therefore there is never any doubt that she is fit enough to be involved at senior international level.

wouldn't it be great if she did play in a club here,great role model for other girls in that club etc.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    So only the Fittest Women in Ireland will get picked for the Ireland Squad?....watch out Derval O Rourke.

IMO In General, Mr King does very little to promote the womens game in Ireland. if he's concerened about training structure and facilites why doesnt he come around to clubs and talk to the players and managers about what he expects of the home based players. Talk about the importance of nutrition and recovery. At least give them a chance. Otherwise girls will think whats the point when he has his mind made up anyway??

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ha ha good one kit man!

To be honest i think the whole recruiting system for the Irish set up is poor. Are there ever scouts sent around looking at matches in the different leagues throughout the country?? I have never seen one and within our league two of the top teams in country are in it....gettin to semi-final and final of National cups!!!! I think once you get on the Irish panel it is very hard to be kicked off the panel and will more often then not be on the panel til your over age (u19) or are brought up to Senior ranks!

The same applies to college soccer....there is an unreal amout of talent playing for colleges that have been overlooked for players who got their leg in the door first with regards to Ireland and won't be dropped!!!Again all the names were brought home from the states to play in the World Student Games over the summer...how many came from top colleges here in Ireland ie Sligo & UL....one player!!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    guys,i cant argue with the recruitment process, all i'm trying to do is throw a line of validation to Taylor. I dont know her personally,just adding my 2 cents as to why you see her in squads.

she has great ability,and was super with UCD

as per colleges, i dont think there are any better than de burca and fahey at NUIG. who else is there??

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Katie Taylor has been capped at Under 17, Under 19 and senior international level for the Republic of Ireland. That she is a talented soccer player is beyond doubt. I have known her personally since she came into the International scene as a 16 year old some six years ago. She is also a very dedicated sportswoman and very level headed for someone of her tender years who has been so successful in more than one sport. I think the point being made was she was called up to the International senior soccer team during a period of time when she was concentrating on boxing and had not kicked a ball at club level for at least a year.
    And that was a valid point.
    Last edited by CollegeTillIDie; 01/12/2007 at 7:54 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Surely with the introduction of more and more Winter Training Camps and now Regional Centres, this will give young players more opportunities at international level. Only time will tell if this carries through once these players reach senior level.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    My original post was NOT a personal assaualt on Katie Taylor (trust me...I aint that stupid to pick a fight with HER)...I have nothing but admiration for her and her sporting achievements. ans at least she dosent REFUSE to play for her country unlike some of the male counterparts.

My original point was made in relation to the selction of the International squad and on what basis players are picked. And i have nothing new to say on that matter.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i heard something about a trial for our league, combined counties, where senior players would be looked at. i will look for more details and get back. maybe something IS happening?