Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland to bid for the World Cup in 2018?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts

Ireland to bid for the World Cup in 2018?

So what do you think? Is it a possibility?

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthef...p?newsid=29832

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Let's get some grounds that could host the World Cup first...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Croke Park, Lansdowne, Thomond and St. Coleman's Park

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    A joint bid with Scotland could work. Croke Park and the new Landsdowne would both be suitable grounds. They could have all three of Ireland's matches at Croke Park, the others at Landsdowne, then two second round matches and one quarterfinal at Croker. Every other match in Scotland. It won't happen though, England will get it. Bidding for the Euros is a much more likely thing, if the GAA will allow it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The idea should be killed stone dead before it even starts.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    This comes up every few months with either Wales, Ireland or Scotland talking about a joint bid. In theory, a joint bid between all three could work, but we all need to actually build some decent sized stadia first then start talking about a bid.

I'd say the Euros are a more realistic possibilty than the World Cup, though having a World Cup in the Celtic countries would be amazing.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think you mean - Let's have some grounds that could host the FAI Cup first. The only feasible ground, the RDS, has not met with universal approval and (according to the FAI...) was not even available on the "first-choice" date for the final.

People say - in theory, a joint bid with Scotland could work, in theory. But even the concept is flawed, a joint bid would be far too concentrated in Dublin and Glasgow for the idea to fly with FIFA (ignoring the possible bribery factor).

The Minister has asked the Department to work with the FAI to determine the feasibility of it, to look at the detailed criteria which Fifa demands of any countries coming together to make a bid.
    Why? Why would you do that? There's lightbulbs need changing in a hospital somewhere if you're that bored.

“If that shows that we will have the infrastructure and that we could combine with someone else, well, he [i.e. Mr Brennan] just wants to establish that first, to see if it’s possible or not.”
    NO. Not possible. There, just saved everyone a lot of time. The only fee I ask for is the cash that would have been spent on the feasiblity study.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Chance of hosting: 0%
    Chance of bidding: 0%

It will probably go to the USA or Mexico. (whichever one gets the backing of the other)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    A joint bid with Scotland could work. Croke Park and the new Landsdowne would both be suitable grounds. They could have all three of Ireland's matches at Croke Park, the others at Landsdowne, then two second round matches and one quarterfinal at Croker. Every other match in Scotland. It won't happen though, England will get it. Bidding for the Euros is a much more likely thing, if the GAA will allow it.
    No it couldn't. Ever.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    A couple of reasons among the many:

The UK government is pushing an England bid, they wouldnt support a Scottish one

There are maybe 3 cities in the 2 countries with adequate stadia

Joint bids are generally not favoured

UEFA will support Russia/England or Holl/Belg before us

We and Scotland have no experience of hosting anything!

Transport links in Ireland are cr*p (tiny airport no urban transport system, limited rail)

I could go on but if the Govt and FAI give me 10,000 euro I'll tell them they cant have it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    You would need a minimum of 6 stadia with a minimum capacity of 40,000 and I think FIFA prefer 8. Also it would be confined to Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dublin which again is not what FIFA would like. It's a complete non-starter, probably complete BS or a delusional FF minister looking for some cheap publicity. And I'm sure the SFA would not hitch their boat to the FAI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    This comes up every few months with either Wales, Ireland or Scotland talking about a joint bid. In theory, a joint bid between all three could work, but we all need to actually build some decent sized stadia first then start talking about a bid.

I'd say the Euros are a more realistic possibilty than the World Cup, though having a World Cup in the Celtic countries would be amazing.
    Sure, our Euro 2008 bid with Scotland ended up being shambolic at the end, largely at the UEFA team being shown a field and a stadium that was not open to footie. It was the Irish that crashed that bid.
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster View Post
    Sure, our Euro 2008 bid with Scotland ended up being shambolic at the end, largely at the UEFA team being shown a field and a stadium that was not open to footie. It was the Irish that crashed that bid.
    Exactly. This whole story is nonsense, for exactly that reason. Nothing has actually improved stadium wise since then - we're still talking about a renovated Lansdowne, a ground we won't be let have and a ground that hasn't been planned yet, but sure if we want some publicity, let's talk about it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Not a hope in hell. I spoke to a Dutch football journalist who had came over to Ireland with the Eufa delegation pre our bid for 2008. Like a Monty Phython sketch was how he described it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Not a hope in hell. I spoke to a Dutch football journalist who had came over to Ireland with the Eufa delegation pre our bid for 2008. Like a Monty Phython sketch was how he described it.
    Exactly, its a fcuking joke.

We dont even have one 10,000 all-seater stadium.

FAI - concentrate on qualifying rather than hosting. Or is that the only way you think we will qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    You would need a minimum of 6 stadia with a minimum capacity of 40,000 and I think FIFA prefer 8.
    I think the minimum is actually 9 and FIFA prefer 12. They also would not allow 4 or 5 stadiums to be spread between 2 cities. It's usually no more than 1 per city but they'll allow for one city to have more than 1.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey all,
    Its fine saying that the euro 2008 bid was a joke we had no stadia etc but look at the reality.

Brazil have just been awarded the rights to host world cup 2014 with 0 yes thats right 0 stadiums fit enough to host any games, a massive redevelopment project will have to be put in place to redesign and construct new stadia.So it is obviously ok to present to a delegation a blank canvass with plans for future development

I think a world cup is without doubt out of the question but I dont see why a Euro bid could not work in the future. If Euro 2016 sees the tournament expanded to 24 teams it would be a perfect time to launch a celtic bid with the four country's NIRL, IRL, SCO, and Wales. Stadiums

NI - new Maze,
    IRL- Lansdowne, or possibly Croker
    Wal - Cardiff, Swansea,
    Scot- Murrayfield, Hampden, Parkhead, and 1-2 new stadiums in dundee or aberdeen

Be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    If we just have ourselves an auld Krystal nacht or Night of the Long Knives we could seize Croker (Dublin), Pairc Ui Caoimh (Cork), Pairc Na Gael (Limerick), Semple (Thurles) plus a handful of other similar bogball emporiums and add to them Landsdowne (Dublin) and Thomond Park (Limerick) and you're pretty much there -or about as close to there as the Brazilians currently are.

Entirely do-able.

The GAA would even get to fill a handful of their vainglorious monstrosities for a change.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    If we just have ourselves an auld Krystal nacht or Night of the Long Knives we could seize Croker (Dublin), Pairc Ui Caoimh (Cork), Pairc Na Gael (Limerick), Semple (Thurles) plus a handful of other similar bogball emporiums and add to them Landsdowne (Dublin) and Thomond Park (Limerick) and you're pretty much there -or about as close to there as the Brazilians currently are.

Entirely do-able.

The GAA would even get to fill a handful of their vainglorious monstrosities for a change.
    Sounds good to me.

Nationalise the GAA and reclaim what the tax-payers paid for.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Does anybody remember about 10/25 years ago, the Irish govt sent somebody off to some Olympic meeting which outlined criteria for hosting the Olympics, with the aim of seeing if Ireland had a viable chance of hosting it?

He returned with the opinion that Ireland hadn't the capabilities to hold the meeting he'd just attended, never mind the Olympics itself.

I'd say it's a similar situation here.

It is a ridiculous idea, which would waste millions just in research, and hundreds of millions if ever undertaken.

Whatever it costs to host the World Cup, in terms of building 40/50,000 seater stadiums, I'm sure enough 10,000 all-seater stadiums could be built to cover every team in the eL.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast