Thread: Chris McCann at Burnley

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

Chris McCann at Burnley

From soccerscene.ie:

Alan Mahon has urged Republic of Ireland's manager-in-waiting to promote Burnley team-mate Chris McCann to the senior ranks.

McCann was overlooked by former national boss Steve Staunton, who often went for youth over experience, but Mahon feels a change in management could herald a new era for the 20-year-old midfielder.

Mahon, whose last appearance for his country came some six years ago, told the Lancashire Evening Post: "The country is in a bit of a transition and a there are a lot of younger players than me coming through.

"I am surprised that Chris McCann is overlooked though. I know what he can do as a player and to not even get a mention is beyond comprehension.

"I think he's only ever had one U21 call-up and I don't know why that is. For me he should be in that squad at least."

He added: "He is playing first team football at a very good level and has been for the past few seasons and I can't believe there are better all-round, goalscoring midfielders to choose from.

"But as I say it's a transitional period and Steve Staunton was blooding younger players.

"It's out with the old and in with the new and I will be hoping to see Chris get a call up sooner, rather than later."

I have to say I agree with Mahon entirely and I also find it odd that McCann never seems to feature under Givens. This just illustrates the folly of Stan’s “building for the future” policy. It was indiscriminate, haphazard and inconsistent, or at least consistently unusual. It gave the impression of being poorly informed.

What is it with the FAI that 2 of our most obviously talented players in positions we are crying out for talent have not even got games at underage level when both are credible options for the senior squad? I have no doubt the U19s would be in the next Euro finals if Garvan had been selected against Germany at Dalymount. He wasn't even in the squad. Both Garvan and McCann look big enough (amazing) to make the cut at a high level. Maybe that's why they're omitted, the FAI have a height complex?

Jay Tabb looked really good in the 20 minutes I saw last night. Quick, good feet, good on the ball and clever off it – evidenced by the run he made for Coventry’s goal. What’s more, he’s comfortable wide right and is far better equipped to play there than Andy Keogh, a talented forward who plays centrally. I think Tabb was a late call up for one senior home game, Czech Rep. or San Marino maybe.

Thank God that twit is no longer in charge.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 31/10/2007 at 5:00 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post

Thank God that twit is no longer in charge.
    Amen to that but surely Givens has to also go to have any chance of rectifying the problems with the often bizarre omissions of our more talented younger players alluded to above.

Another reason for him to go would be because his management record is utter sh*te to put it mildly but let's ignore that for the moment and concentrate on his bizarre Stanesque selections.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Stuttgart 88
    Now what I have heard and read is that Steve Cotterill ( Burnley Boss ) had been in contact with Stan towards the end of last season , telling him that Chris has come on very well and worth a look at . At that stage nothing has been done and it seemed to dry up a bit from there . Chris scored a good few goals last season coming from deep and he has scored 2 this season . I would say it's only a matter of time before he will get a call up I know that Cotterill likes to protect his younger players as Chris and Kyle Lafferty have come up from the youth team and he fear's about burn out for the younger players .
    The only problem with Chris is that he is up and down with good and poor games but I am sure this will change one hopes .

Watch this space , well spotted Stuttgart .......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Spot on Stutts, I find it utterly bizarre that both himself and Garvan have been overlooked for so long at both u21 and senior level. What the hell does Givens do with his time? Does he even go to watch any matches????
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    "An all round, goal scoring midfieder". The current Irish team is crying out for such an ability.

The emergence of decent midfielders with a bit of potential is a welcome development - lets hope some of them start to get selected (even at u 21 level for starters).
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Strange that Garvan and McCann both played on the same Home Farm team along with Darren O'Dea. Both Garvan and McCann were deemed not worth of a call up by the Don.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    What in undergod is Givens up to?Does he even know about him.Saw McCann score against Southampton on champoinchip highlights last week.Looks handy.