Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Who's the better manager?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Charlton

26 35.14%
  • Mick McCarthy

26 35.14%
  • Gaz's Cat

22 29.73%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Jack or Slick Mick?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

watch it Eanna

that is a non sensical arguement

All I said was that Irish means being born in Ireland
    So If I go to the States for example to work for a few years as alot of Irish people did and still do, and then come home with a wife and a kid, then that kid is what, American?
    then years later the rest of your children are born.
    you'd have what then in your imediate family..

2 Parents, an American and a couple of irish kids!!!

Grow up Éanna

being Irish is more then just being born here.
    Now lets get back to phootball, thats why we're here isnt it?

PS would somebody please vote for gaz's cat, i cant believe McCarthy is beating him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah, but who'd marry you james?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

ok so then

to make the argument more believable we'll use Joe as the example...

the point is still the same though now it is developed into a joke
    life is random

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i take it back, you can go to america, get married and do the whole family thinkg - i'll stay young, free and single, thank you very much!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This coming from a man living in America - if I had a child over here, the child would be an American. In fact, one of the things that gets on my tits the most about this place is the amount of people who come up to me (after telling me that they love my accent) and tell me that they're Irish too. (Oh really? Whereabouts?) "Oh actually I was born in Detroit, but my great great grandfather was from 'Don-nay-gal'"

Both my parents were English, and they watched a hell of a lot more BBC than RTE - does that make me a Brit? (Watch what you say in response to this!)

The bottom line is that you are from where you're from, pure and simple. Born is Afghanistan? Then your an Afghan. Born in Ireland? Then you're Irish. If you're not born here, I can't see how you can claim to be from here. End of story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    In fact, one of the things that gets on my tits the most about this place is the amount of people who come up to me (after telling me that they love my accent) and tell me that they're Irish too. (Oh really? Whereabouts?) "Oh actually I was born in Detroit, but my great great grandfather was from 'Don-nay-gal'"
    Having to deal with yanks a lot of the time - and pseudo yanks like Gaz - I get this an awful lot and it drives me insane...

Person on mailing list: "Oh, I'm Irish too - my great-great-great-gransfathers pig was exported from Ireland in nineteen-oh-splash - so I know exactly what you mean!"

Adam: "No you don't, you dolt, you don't know anything. Which means you're american."

HUR HUR

adam

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Gaz if you had a child born in America then of course you and the childs mother would have a right to decide what nationality is put on its passport. But when that child is old enough to decide for itself it could then decide that it wants an Irish passport or if its mother was British for example, a British passport, as is it right .I personally couldn't care less where anyone is from but I believe in a persons right to consider themselves a citizen of any nation that they are legally entitled to(this does not include the buying of passports by people investing in pet food factories belonging to Taoisaigh).Nationality can be a lot more than where you are born.Now loud Americans whose great-great-great grandfathers came from the land of Darby O'Gill are a different matter altogether.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Originally posted by Gaz

The bottom line is that you are from where you're from, pure and simple. Born is Afghanistan? Then your an Afghan. Born in Ireland? Then you're Irish. If you're not born here, I can't see how you can claim to be from here. End of story.
    Spot on! I can't believe the amout of crap being spouted here! I never said anything about Irish-Americans or Irish-English people or Irish-Spanish people; I have no problem with someone who's parents are from whatever country taking up citizenship.
    Btw, Adam, considering your flaming policy, should The Good Son not have got some kind of slap on the wrist for alleging my membership of 2 despicable and appalling organisations!
    I'm not posting on this thread again, because it's not worth the hassle of getting unwarranted abuse.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Lighten up boy ,you know and everybody else knows I didn't seriously consider you to be a member of either organisation.I'm just using extreme examples to try, obviously not very well, to get my point across.Anyway everyone knows it's the Aryan Nation you're in.I've no problem ending my contribution to this thread either as it's reached the point of you childishly looking for a slap on the wrist for me. Believe it or not if I was banned for life from this or any other board it wouldn't bother me in the slightest .

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts

Right

I was born in england, my brother was born in england. We've never considered ourselves anything but Irish. I would add that doesn't mean to say that I think anybody who qualifies to play for Ireland should. I went to school with plenty of people with a similar family background who don't consider themselves Irish. It's not about choice, it's about what you feel, and without getting too silly about it where your heart is. That's why the likes of Kilbane and Kelly get my vote, whereas the likes of Matt 'god save the queen' holland and Clinton 'I'm english/ jamacan/ irish delete as applicable' don't. Too many generations have been forced to emigrate for people who's families were lucky enough to be able to afford to stay in Ireland to get on their high horse. Never forget your, or this country's, history - it wasn't always like it is now in these celtic tiger days......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Btw, Adam, considering your flaming policy, should The Good Son not have got some kind of slap on the wrist for alleging my membership of 2 despicable and appalling organisations!
    Sure, as the moderator of this forum... oops, hang on now...

No offense Éanna, but it's not up to me, it's up to Joe. I'm trying to set up a fair hierarchy here from the off, so the moderator is who you talk to if you have a problem. If Joe can't sort it out, he comes to me. (Actually, in this case he doesn't, because Joe is an admin too, so his decision is final.)

In my opinion - and it is only my opinion - I think it may have been a bit OTT, but you should take it with a pinch of salt.

adam

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry (and after this, I'm bowing out of this thread as well) but I have to maintain my stance that you can't claim to be FROM somewhere when you're not born there. If (God forbid) I have a child here in America, then although he or she will of course have an Irish passport, they will be American by birth, pure and simple.

My sister was born in England as well. Yes, she spent a fair chunk of her life in Ireland, and yes she has ties here, and considers Ireland her home, but at the end of the day she's English. I can't see why people think that one rule should apply for her, when the affore mentioned Yanks aren't allowed to claim their heritage?

It's funny that someone mentioned that they went to school with many people who were born away from Ireland but never considered themselves anything but - I went to school with a guy who was born in England while his parents were on holiday, and considered himself 100% English, even to the extent where he's show up in school with an England jersey on (and promptly got seven kinds of crap kicked out of him).

Nobody's opinion on this is going to change. I was born in Ireland, and therefore I'm a Mick. Live in America, but will never be American. I have English heritage, but will never be English. The bottom line is that you can choose what you want, but at the end of the day you are what you are.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And with my mighty administrator powers, my cat just won the vote. I'm renaming him GW Bush....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    You should call him Al Gore, who is after all the real US president.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    C'mere, shouldn't you be working? On, uh, what is it again... ooh... this site???

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    all right thats a strike each for the pair of you
    Ye should know better...this is blatently off the topic and should be carried on elsewhere or PM each other

Feck it I'm off to pack for Latvia
    Adam if I dont make it back I have a PM ready to be sent to you by my solicitor in which I will pass on my Moderators hat and my numerous postings to a lucky punter out there

Its latvia baby

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    right looks like everyone's ending there contribution to this thread so there's no need for any slaps on any wrists - does that get me out of having to do any work?

Dr.Nick
    you have to remember that when Jack Charlton was manager second place in a group almost certainly garaunteed u automatic qualification for a tournament(apart from euro '96).How many groups did we win under Jack? none.In that sense Mick has been unlucky.The team has played much better football under Mick with less talented players than Jack had...so under the circumstances I believe Mick has done a better job. By the way, COME ON DE TOWN(Longford that is)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    I agree, Mick has done wonders on limited players and resources, we've no Paul McGrath, Brady or Lawrenson, but Mick gets the best of the players we've got. Weve a backbone of a squad yet weve still a good chance of making it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just found this thread from way back. Mick was definitely my favourite. In fact, I think Brian Kerr will be doing well to live up to the achievements of Slick Mick.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast