Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights Out

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts

Lights Out

wonderful win , there wasnt a lot of excitement after the early exchanges until the lights went out. The team gave it socks after that break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Match report from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2007/...wayunited.html

Galway United 1-0 Derry City

Friday, 26 October 2007

Wes Charles was Galway United's goalscoring hero on a dramatic night at Terryland Park.

A 40 minute floodlit failure disrupted the evening, but Galway skipper Charles remained calm and composed when presented with a match winning opportunity.

Greg O'Halloran's corner fell kindly for Charles, who blasted home from 10 yards to delight the locals.

Stephen O'Flynn and substitute Dave Cooke might have added a second, but in the end one goal was enough.

It has been a surprisingly tepid League season for Derry City who entered Terryland Park intent on terminating a seven game search for a top flight win.

During this testing period the Candystripes did capture the League Cup, but this fixture against Galway was still relevant for John Robertson's charges.

Galway, striving for survival, were completely aware that a positive result was required for an injection of points and confidence.

The home side were eager and enthusiastic early on as Ciaran Foley's blistering 8th minute drive forced a reflex save from Pat Jennings.

It was Galway who threatened more frequently in the first half as John Lester and Derek Glynn rifled shots over before the interval.

In stoppage time Lester was unable to direct a header past Jennings following a precise Alan Murphy delivery.

The drama continued to unfold after the restart with the mammoth delay before Charles assumed centre stage.

Galway United: Rogers; Keane, Nootimer, Lester, Charles; Murphy (Robson, 61, Cooke, 65), Foley, O'Halloran, O'Brien; O'Flynn, Glynn (Reilly, 68).

Derry City: Jennings; McCallion, Oman, Hutton, Brennan; McGlynn, Deery, Molloy, Martyn, McHugh; Farren.

Referee: D Hanney (Dublin).
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Robson only lasted 4 mins?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    ya did his ankle again. it was lucky Wes scored as it looked like the officials had missed another stonewall handball penalty.Everybody stopped but Wes just lashed the ball home and the place exploded. Well done to Eric Connolly the electrician who worked a miracle to get the lights back on.

Best atmosphere for a long time for the last 20 mins eventhough a large section of the 2,300 crowd left as they thought we woulnt get the lights on and boy are they sorry know. A point next week and were safe and if Johnny Lester doesnt get player of the season there is something seriously wrong once again he was immense as was everyone.

Im still smiling and not a drink taken what a night.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just in from SRO,good crack there and the night is only heating up but with work it's an early-ish night for moi.

On the game....
    1/3-Crap
    2/3-Crap
    Final Third-Ok.

We were poor again tonight and i think that was reflected on the exodus when the lights went off.I'd say at least 500 left.
    Although in fairness alot of people may have had plans and it was taking a good while to get them going.

No point of harpering on about the performance,it's all about getting the points at this stage.
    One point in the RSC and we're safe.We should be professional enough to go down there and get at least a point.All about having the right attitude.

The little kids are growing in confidence in Terryland.From running around on the pitch to letting off smoke bombs....they're certainly not shy.
    www.galwayunitedfc.net -----New GUFC fans forum and Gust Website.

Europe's Big Club.
    "Cause Galway are MASSIVE"-RW Rover on 24/8/07 00:29am

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Why is this in the UCD section?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ah.........It's Not.

Europe's Big Club.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Bolox...one drink too many. Apologies.

Wouldn't be surprised if we get 0 points from our remaining games and ye get 6, although I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way round either, if ye get what I'm saying.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Lights out.

I noticed about 1 min brfore the lights went out that one in a corner started to fade badly,then it flicked out and the rest quickly followed.I do believe thats the first time its happened in terryland,yes???
    how the f**k did the ref miss that stone wall peno??It was a blatant handball and even the Derry players knew it because they stopped too expecting the decision to be given.
    A derry player very nearly broke sweat in the first half and we still couldnt create much against them,sad.
    Very dissappionting about Robson.
    We are just about safe now,the relief at the end was great but i think it was more of a relief to be finally getting out of the cold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great result, a minimum of a point next week is required so as Conor said its time for the profesionals to act professional and provide a result for the fans...we can then relax for the last game and have a night off from the stress...

Bernie on GBFM when the lights got fixed...
    "I hope to God we win here, He brought us light...can He now bring us a victory"

Classic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KoemansCC View Post
    "I hope to God we win here, He brought us light...can He now bring us a victory"

What a night! we were really getting on top before the lights went out and when they came back we looked more up for it. We need a massive crowd in Wahurfaaard next week and hopefully another 3 points!
    Galway United - Connacht Champions 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    im convinced if the lights hadnt gone out it would have been 0-0 in the end

galway came back after the delay - well up for it - and good man wes he played the whistle while the rest had stopped

he was over at the main stand asking for more from us - says it all really

like conor was saying i can see why a lot of people just left - it was bad enough fair in the first half

a question - was derek glynn injured? and reilly brought on in the centre - or was this a cunning plan to brick wall it for the last 20 mins

just as we did against longford shutting up shop for 10mins - yawn - and more importantly giving them plenty of oportunitiy to punish us

if you ask me i agree with gufct on this one - lester was immense - i know galway had 2 decent chances with oflynn and cookie in the last 20mins

BUT Derry were still popping in decent crosses that lester was clearing up everytime

he had done so all through the game

i was just wondering what we would be like if we had crosses like those delivered into the box for the strickers to feed on

for some reason murph wasnt at the races again - oh wait thats every game now!

i remember we broke in the second half and the ball was layed off to him as he was runnning on to it - go on murph belt it - but no - he checks his run - he gathers the ball - turns once then twice - then loses it - sums him up this season!

greg couldnt hit a straight pass in the first - but improved in second

DOB was not great and the ref was having none of his antics

foley played very well - youd have to wonder what is cousing thinking there with the transfer etc.

keane, regi, rogers solid as ever

and steve o flynn - ran himself ragged - fair play to him - wish he had scored he deserved one for all the work - and he took down a few punts aswell and layed them off nicely - all heart

robson got a great reception when he came on - its sad to hear his leg went again

obviuosly delighted with the win - go down and beat waterford next friday - we are due one against them - we have an awful record - no better time to put it right
    more water!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Yeah, meant to mention Stevo, ran his socks off, fair play!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We're nearly safe now.Good win yesterday.It's a good thing the lights went out or at best it would have been at best 0-0

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah now how about doing us a little favour actually no a massive favour and beat those shower of fcukers waterford next week none of this playin for a draw sh1te!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    your asking a team that has had 13 draws this season - over the last five years we have primarily been draw merchants

i wouldnt be holding your breath - but what can you do

as i was saying above - we havent beaten them in a while so the law of averages dictates.........
    more water!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Would love to beat Waterford if it meant ourselves and Longford would stay up.

We've a few scores to settle with them to.Anyone remember how they bullied us off the park back in August?
    I'd expect a failry hefty contingent of UTD supporters to travel down there on Friday night.

By the way-no doubt about it-if the lights had stayed on it would have ended 0-0.

Europe's Big Club.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A win is a win but jaysus we made hard work of it.

Thought Lester was top notch, can't understand the decision to drop to 5 in midfield after we scored..could have been costly.. Foley did really well in last 20 mins when we were under the cosh...that type of battle was made for him.

Had the brother-in-law with me home from London...3 games for him this season 3 home wins!!

He's wondering what we're doing down where we are.

Quote of the night has to be just after we scored some guy in the new stand shouts out "blow it up ref":

That's the beauty of going to Terryland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flano View Post

Had the brother-in-law with me home from London...3 games for him this season 3 home wins!!
    Bring him to Waterford!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Now let me see what was Friday night like , well Two power failures one at home and one in Terryland 2,200 plus at the start of the game not sure how many at the end and another goal from Wes . Also lets not forget the kids who seemed to enjoy running across the pitch with the lights out , fireworks we had that also and I must say a very good ref who liked to let the game flow ( fair play Mr Paul Tuite ) and last but not least 3 points which we just need one more next Friday night and we are home and dry and then the fun will start .

Stay tuned to the same Bat programme ...
    On the same Bat channel ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast