Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Brady

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    This is the last line in Brady's Wikipedia entry:

In 2007 Brady was linked to the Republic of Ireland manager's job after the sacking of Steve Staunton. However, Brady denied he was applying for the job and though he said he would discuss it if approached, he felt he was not the best candidate for the role. On 5th December 2007 however, Brady overtook Terry Venables as the favourite for the job. Bookies across the United Kingdom and Ireland have stopped taking bets on the former Juventus man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Stuttgart88;831989]Quinn backs Brady for top job

December 4, 2007

[I]Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has backed former Arsenal and Ireland teammate Liam Brady to land the vacant Irish manager’s job.

Brady is seen as a close second-favourite behind Terry Venables to succeed Steve Staunton in the top job in Irish football.

And Quinn feels old club and country colleague Brady would be an excellent choice for the FAI, with his experience of improving younger players of particular relevance given Ireland’s current crop of promising but unproven tyros.

He told RTE Radio: “The Ireland job is a big job and the country has had years of success. There’s a lot of young players waiting to burst into the scene and emulate the team of 20 years ago.

“The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving.

“The person that springs to my mind is Liam Brady, he’s one that all the players have serious respect for. People question his record at Celtic but it/QUOTE]

Quinn is full of crap...didnt we try this with brian kerr...he wouldnt get the respect of the players at all!!
    'How can I hate women, my Mums one!!!' Chris Finch

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    [QUOTE=citizenerased;834374]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    [B]
    he wouldnt get the respect of the players at all!!
    While he would not be my first choice as our new manager that statement is nonsense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no way..his reputation as a player will mean nothing to the new players, plus he is droel enough..couldnt imagine him motivating anyone....I will be distraught if he gets it..ffs

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It's also nonsense about the Wikipedia info that Bookies have stopped taking bets on Liam.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    According to today's Indo he became favourite for a while yesterday.

Suddenly Tel boy is starting to look attractive as is Roddy Collins. Brady was a great player but he failed miserably and totally as a manager twice.

Maybe this is just a silly game with terrible candidates being put forward so there will be a sigh of relief when somebody halfway capable gets the job.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Niall Quinn: "The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving."

Is this true?

The core of the squad as far as I'm concerned should include experienced players like:

Given
    Finnan
    Dunne,
    O'Brien
    Keane
    Doyle
    Hunt
    Duff
    A. Reid
    S. Reid
    O'Shea
    Kilbane
    Lee
    Morrisson

Of the "youth" only Stephen Ireland, Aiden McGeady and McShane are likely starters in my opinion.

Long & Stokes have some way to go yet and in hindsight should probably have been in the U21s all last year. Garvan, O'Toole and maybe McCann should be integrated, maybe also Keogh.

Other players that I feel should figure in some way include Michael Doyle, Jay Tabb and Mark Yeates. Doyle is 26 or thereabouts now I reckon and the other two are overage for the U21s.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    While every appointment has an element of a gamble involved - Brady would be a big gamble.

Brady has my utmost respect as a talented former player. A genuine great talent.

He's not the answer for us as a manager.

The bottom line is that he has limited Managerial experience and has achieved nothing at Managerial level.

The bookies have done the obvious and identified the link that Brady has to all members of the selection panel.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenerased View Post
    no way..his reputation as a player will mean nothing to the new players, plus he is droel enough..couldnt imagine him motivating anyone....I will be distraught if he gets it..ffs
    He was one of our best ever players. If they don't give some respect, at least at the beginning, as a result of that then there is something seriously wrong. I would like to say again though, he would not be my first choice for the job. As has been pointed out, his managerial record is pretty poor to say the least.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    doyle is only 24 max..i think

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    July '81 so he's 26 (after a quick reference to Tetsujin's website). Same age as Miller and a better player in my opinion, not as skillful but far more effective. International standard? Probably not but given the sheer number of people Stan picked you'd think Doyle would have been given a look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    jaysus...had it in my head he was younger..suppose he has been in the squad nearly two years now

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    jaysus...had it in my head he was younger..suppose he has been in the squad nearly two years now
    I think you're thinking of the wrong Doyle. He's referring to Michael Doyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    apologies...lol...thats what ya get when you just glance at threads...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Did Quinn hire Brady as Sunderland manager then? No , and he was damn right not to.
    The secret to being Ireland manager is winning matches and Brady is not the best man for the job. Quinn can pontificate all he wants , i just hope the selection team are not listening.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Brady would be the FAI's stage 3 of a 3 stage plan to ruin the national team. Great player but would have Given's like run ins with some of this current group of players. And that is not what we need at this time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    One of the many attacks on Brady the player by Dunphy. He wrote this after Ireland had squandered a 2-0 lead against Holland at Dalymount. Holland came back and won 3-2.
    Taken from Wikepedia
    After Ireland lost a two goal lead against Holland in 1983 Dunphy wrote about Liam Brady:

"" He is often looked on as a great player. He is nothing of the kind. His performance on Wednesday was a disgrace, a monument to conceit adorned with vanity and self-indulgence, rendered all the more objectional by the swagger of his gait. He was deemed by many observers to have had a splendid game.""

Brady was brilliant in the first half of that game. Gullit ran the show in the second half.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    yeah, but the PA announcer cost us the game. everyone, including the Irish defence, was looking at the shed roof thinking imminent death was on the cards while Gullit headed in a corner at 2-2.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    yeah, but the PA announcer cost us the game. everyone, including the Irish defence, was looking at the shed roof thinking imminent death was on the cards while Gullit headed in a corner at 2-2.
    The shed bouncing up and down. Was that nutters or the wind? Can't remember. Also Grealish got injured near the end of the first half and for some reason Hand kept him on the park. We only had ten fit players for the rest of the match. Only for the Dutch keeper(van Breauklen? who looked like he was very fond of his pomme frites) we would have been 5-0 up at half-time. I can remember one incredible ball from Brady to Stapleton who hammered it with his head goalwards only for the Dutch keeper to get his fingertips on it.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 07/12/2007 at 3:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

“The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving.

“The person that springs to my mind is Liam Brady, he’s one that all the players have serious respect for. People question his record at Celtic but it
    Quinn is full of crap...didnt we try this with brian kerr...he wouldnt get the respect of the players at all!!
    Quinn was one of the more openly anti-Kerr pundits right from the start. He's not so much interested in a manager who can "work with the young lads" as a manager who was "one of the lads", an ex-teammate, which is why all the old players were delighted to see Staunton get the job last time. I suspect that Houghton would also be of the opinion that reputation as a player, respect of the dressing room, blah-blah are the most important factors which would explain why Brady's odds have shortened since he joined the panel.
    SIGNATURESCOPE

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast