Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Brady

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Any Brighton and Hove fans I know are amazed that he's being considered for the Ireland job. His record in management is abyssmal.
    ...except the two posting on here, obviously (me and TT). Although TT did mean to say 1995 in that posting. Brady is second only to Coppell in having rescued the teams league position from entirely untenable to (nearly) secure at the time - he took over a Barry Lloyd side that were floundering, started losing key parts of it (one notable instance of a player being sold at the behest of the Inland Revenue) and kept it steady in Division 2. Then Case comes in and the club go down...

Oh, and us B&HAFC fans aren't gonna be impressed with tales of shopping in the Goldstone Retail Park (many people still refuse to go near it)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Wenger

'He has not asked me a question about taking the job, but I think Liam would make a good Ireland manager. I like to speak with Liam about football because he has a good assessment of players and a very fair one. He doesn't get carried away with his ideas and his philosophy on the game is very similar to mine.

'Liam has started to produce quality players who are ready for the first team and it would be a bad moment for him to leave Arsenal. In addition, it's good to have the stability of him being here for a long time, so I hope it doesn't come to an end now.

'We have had to show some patience with the young players who have always offered great potential and now we are getting the rewards. Everyone involved in the youth development at the club deserve credit for the progress we have made.

'With this in mind, I would view his departure as a big loss to Arsenal. I'm not sure when Ireland plan to make their appointment, but I hope it's not Liam.'

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I live across the road from where the Goldstone Ground used to be and frequently visit the shopping estate that has replaced it
    POTM

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I can't comment on Brighton, but while Brady's record at a near bankrupt Celtic wasn't good and his transfers were very questionable (Slater, Biggins...) I thought they were well coached and played extremely attractive passing football. He certainly made a mark with the players. I think if he had even half of Rangers' resources at the time he'd have been remembered in a far better light.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KianD View Post
    Although TT did mean to say 1995 in that posting.
    Dammit!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I can't comment on Brighton, but while Brady's record at a near bankrupt Celtic wasn't good and his transfers were very questionable (Slater, Biggins...) I thought they were well coached and played extremely attractive passing football. He certainly made a mark with the players. I think if he had even half of Rangers' resources at the time he'd have been remembered in a far better light.

yeah, but he did sign tony casc o'rino.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    looks like he's out of the running now he has this other gig

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
    yeah, but he did sign tony casc o'rino.
    Anto never let Ireland down folks !

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Brady was very cagey there with his answers about being offered the job on Todayfm. Would not answer the queston.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 27/11/2007 at 6:10 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He changed from Cagey to Stonewall.
    He was on a phone link to RTE sports at 18.30 and he was asked about the Irish job, he said no he is not answering any questions about that and said that they were calling him to the commentary box and he had to go.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Brady has looked at the 3 man panel and fancies his chances. They all know Brady. Howe was his coach for many years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    Liam Brady was a loyal, honest servant to Ireland for many years. Terry Venables is a spiv, a spoofer and a greedy yesterday's man. Give me Brady any day of the week.
    add to that the fact venables cant have seen an ireland game in the last year in a half unless he was watching them whilst england were playing. The one thing Brady has for him is that he very familiar with the team, the players and how we've been playing recently.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    And he's not a robbing spiv.
    we should do a list of things he stole

1. the dancefloor out of the Bill Nicholson suite at Tottenham - he put it in his nightclub

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    ask Alan Sugar.
    Now there's an idea, Tuff.

A ten week elimination programme to decide who gets the Ireland job, with Mr Sugar deciding the outcome.

Tubridy, Twink, Jake Stevens and Louis Walsh on the committee with Sugar and Keith Duffy as the man on the street. Are ya nervous ?

Get it sorted Tuff my man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eekers View Post
    add to that the fact venables cant have seen an ireland game in the last year in a half unless he was watching them whilst england were playing. The one thing Brady has for him is that he very familiar with the team, the players and how we've been playing recently.
    the same could be said of virtually any of the candidates linked with us. hodgson? houllier? they would be judged on how they got to know the players.
    Superdave to the resc....

Can you wait til I finish my pint? Or else...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts

From eleven-a-side.com

Quinn backs Brady for top job

December 4, 2007

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has backed former Arsenal and Ireland teammate Liam Brady to land the vacant Irish manager’s job.

Brady is seen as a close second-favourite behind Terry Venables to succeed Steve Staunton in the top job in Irish football.

And Quinn feels old club and country colleague Brady would be an excellent choice for the FAI, with his experience of improving younger players of particular relevance given Ireland’s current crop of promising but unproven tyros.

He told RTE Radio: “The Ireland job is a big job and the country has had years of success. There’s a lot of young players waiting to burst into the scene and emulate the team of 20 years ago.

“The secret to Ireland doing well is to get someone who can work with the young lads, help them make the step-up from having a few caps to actually going and achieving. I think 20 players were capped in the last year or two, so those guys have to be brought on.

“The person that springs to my mind is Liam Brady, he’s one that all the players have serious respect for. People question his record at Celtic but it was at a time when Rangers decided to go mad and spend millions upon millions, and it was hard for him to do that.

“He’s learned so much at Arsenal under Arsene Wenger, he’s brilliant with young people and he might just suit.”

They certainly weren't Arsenal teammates as the article suggests and any Ireland overlap was minimal.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Do we really want a failed manager who has not managed for many years? I can't believe this Brady stuff. To me he is a few rungs up the ladder from Stan, with Stan two steps from the bottom rung (only because Robson was holding him up from the bottom).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    If Lady Brady gets the job, its off the Clifts of Moher with me. (Would be jumping as opposed to visiting)
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Do we really want a failed manager who has not managed for many years? I can't believe this {insert name] stuff. To me he is a few rungs up the ladder from Stan, with Stan two steps from the bottom rung (only because Robson was holding him up from the bottom).
    Choose name from:

Venables
    Brady
    Kendall

Just from today's musings alone!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Choose name from:

Venables
    Brady
    Kendall

Just from today's musings alone!
    it's inconceivable that brady will be selected, El Tel will impress the panel with his patented bluster.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast