Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some thoughts on admission fees

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Eircom League of Ireland football given you have 2 hours in the venue is good value as any other night out and better than some.
    The occasional wit of some of the supporters can be worth the admission on it's own. A lot of the teams are supplying a good read in the form of match programmes and one or two places even have half decent food on offer at their grounds. It's on a par with things like theatre and cinema in terms of cost and it's in the fresh air into the bargain .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i never had a problem dropping an admission fee at the gate. I see it more as a contribution to the club - (a show of support) and not paying for and expecting a service in return. sometimes I got great bang for my buck, sometimes its a nil-all borefest,but its still supporting local football. same goes for buying raffle tickets, food and drinks etc at the game - you know the proceeds are helping the club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    €10 is a fair price for a 1st div match, I would not be in favour of lowering the price, even for a one-off promotion. I wouldn't like to see the fee increased either, although I would still pay no-matter, as billybunter said its more about supporting your club than paying for a service.

L37 dont charge U12's which makes a lot of sense because the cost doesnt become a factor for supporters with kids, and in the long-term a few of them will develop an interest and become paying supporters. When your gates are well below capacity theres no issue with kids taking up places of paying punters.

There should be more emphasis on selling reasonably priced season tickets, on the one hand you are committing to a financial contribution to your club even if you cant get to games, on the other hand if you have paid for a season ticket you are more likely to actually go to more games.
    LTID

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Season tickets at reasonable prices are a good selling factor. They should be priced at a level less than a Satellite TV package to watch cross channel tack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If i were in charge i would let all under 18s in for free. Its a simple investment for the future. Its better to have 2000 paying punters and 1000 non paying than simply the 2000. The 1000 who get in for free may buy programmes/ hot dogs and so on. An extra 1000 in the ground will also improve the atmosphere which many fans may come back for as it improved their enjoyment of the game.

Word would spread throughout the youth of the area and before you know it there could be 5 or 6000 at the games. Within a few years they will be paying customers and a large fanbase would be born.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I completely agree. Its all about getting butts in seats, even if it was for free. They'll buy a burger, maybe a shirt, help create an atmosphere for the rest of the paying punters and will eventually be paying punters themselves. The clubs need to make the investement in themselves.

Overall I think 15 euros is steep for what's on offer. Most hardcore fans will pay it regardless and don't see it as a purchase of entertainment but the casual punter does.

Lastnight I went to see the Chicago Fire in a playoff game against DC United for $25, about 17 euros. Class stadium, great atmosphere and far superior product on the field. It was a good deal. EL games unfortunately are still not for the majority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While on a ryanair flight recently i had an idea regarding el promotion. If you get the bums on the seats ie letting them in for next to nothing, and then try and get the money off them in other ways such as raffle tickets, pints in the bar, burgers jerseys and so on . Have advertisments in the media advertising free entry 1 euro entry or whatever. People love free stuff then lure them in and hopefully if the team put on a good show they will come back again.

If 5000 fans get in for free:
    of them
    1000 raffle tickets sold at 3euros each= 3k
    1000 pints in the bar at 1euro profit per pint= 1k
    1000 burgers/hot dogs again at 1euro profit=1k
    2500 programes sold at 3euro= 7.5k
    = 12.5k
    Plus increased merchandise sold/ advertisment revenue due to more people being in the ground and so on. Better atmosphere and so on.

opposed to 1250 fans
    at on average 10euro entry
    =12.5k
    **** atmosphere

Maybe 1euro entry or something like that. Basically the ryanair model only for football.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb Landsdowne View Post
    If i were in charge i would let all under 18s in for free. Its a simple investment for the future.
    I don't think it would be. Sure you'll get a load more young people going but it won't be for the football. They'll just have a place to meet up away from the Gardaí to have a few cans. Some clubs wouldn't be able to afford letting U-18s in for free either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb Landsdowne View Post
    An extra 1000 in the ground will also improve the atmosphere which many fans may come back for as it improved their enjoyment of the game
    Its a security nightmare though
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12